Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

6 hours ago, bbb said:

It turns out a couple of my friends know him well.  Stayed at his house, etc.  And, say what a great guy he is.  I asked what Brady, etc. were doing there and got a barrage of info on our group text.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1634694/adam-weitsman-is-the-most-mysterious-man-in-america  

Mysterious is right.  I don't get why all these celebs would travel to random games.  Bermuda saying that they get paid is the only thing that made sense.  

Interesting article. Not often do you see a guy of his background (metals) and age being an Instagram influencer! 

He is either well connected because of his philanthropy, or Because he is a mobster! 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Interesting article. Not often do you see a guy of his background (metals) and age being an Instagram influencer! 

He is either well connected because of his philanthropy, or Because he is a mobster! 

You should see his house on Skaneateles Lake.  It’s insane.  

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Weitsman is not paying celebrities to come to games with him ?

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

He's definitely paying them.

Man, who do I believe?!? 

11 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

He's definitely paying them.

Speak up, Shirley...

I have a close friend who was his executive chef at his restaurant in Skaneateles, The Krebs, when it re-opened in 2014.  He told me lots of stories about celebrities/wealthy businessmen/politicians/etc... making appearances at both his restaurant and the house quite frequently.  He even told me a specific story about riding jet skis with Derek Jeter at one of his parties at the house.  Do you also think he paid Jeter to attend on of his parties and ride jet skis with his guests?

Perhaps he is asking his celebrity friends to attend the Syracuse games to bolster national notoriety and “Star power” as personal favors to him, but paying them to attend?  I doubt it, but I’d like to hear your story.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Indeed.  Hopefully we don’t draw UNC in the 1st round of the ACC tourney.   I haven’t watched the game yet, as my son had a hockey game tonight.  What happened to Joe G?  

joe G was just oddly sluggish out there and a bit turnover prone. Just about everyone else was on fire. Hughes was unconscious. Buddy was mostly terrific. Sidibe has a 5-minute stretch where he was throwing guys out of bounds and just dunking on people. It was insane. 

I would highly recommend watching the entire game— one of the most entertaining ones they have played. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Speak up, Shirley...

I have a close friend who was his executive chef at his restaurant in Skaneateles, The Krebs, when it re-opened in 2014.  He told me lots of stories about celebrities/wealthy businessmen/politicians/etc... making appearances at both his restaurant and the house quite frequently.  He even told me a specific story about riding jet skis with Derek Jeter at one of his parties at the house.  Do you also think he paid Jeter to attend on of his parties and ride jet skis with his guests?

Perhaps he is asking his celebrity friends to attend the Syracuse games to bolster national notoriety and “Star power” as personal favors to him, but paying them to attend?  I doubt it, but I’d like to hear your story.

Probably, yes.  You rarely, if ever, have heard anything scandalous about Jeter...so him cavorting with a convicted felon is a bit odd, at least to me.

Weitsman did donate to charities of Brady/Edelman's choosing, FWIW.

11 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

joe G was just oddly sluggish out there and a bit turnover prone. Just about everyone else was on fire. Hughes was unconscious. Buddy was mostly terrific. Sidibe has a 5-minute stretch where he was throwing guys out of bounds and just dunking on people. It was insane. 

I would highly recommend watching the entire game— one of the most entertaining ones they have played. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Sidibe's out-of-body Olajuwon-esque stretch

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Probably, yes.  You rarely, if ever, have heard anything scandalous about Jeter...so him cavorting with a convicted felon is a bit odd, at least to me.

Your persistent mischaracterization of AW is a bit odd.  Yes, he did get in trouble a while ago for check fraud, and it was a big deal, but the guy has really cleaned up his act and does a lot of really great stuff in the Syracuse community.  He made donations on their behalf to local charities.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/story-behind-tom-brady-julian-edelman-at-syracuse-game

“I talked to Tom first," Weitsman said. "I had never met Julian and I had never met Jimmy Fallon. Tom invited them, and none of these guys profited anything to come up there. They are all about charity. We did some stuff with the Boys and Girls Club and the Rescue Mission, the big charities I represent up there. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Your persistent mischaracterization of AW is a bit odd.  Yes, he did get in trouble a while ago for check fraud, and it was a big deal, but the guy has really cleaned up his act and does a lot of really great stuff in the Syracuse community.  He made donations on their behalf to local charities.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/story-behind-tom-brady-julian-edelman-at-syracuse-game

“I talked to Tom first," Weitsman said. "I had never met Julian and I had never met Jimmy Fallon. Tom invited them, and none of these guys profited anything to come up there. They are all about charity. We did some stuff with the Boys and Girls Club and the Rescue Mission, the big charities I represent up there. 

Well, you left this part out:

"Weitsman said no one profited from the trip, but a donation to charity was made." 

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  

Weitsman does do a lot of good for the Syracuse community - I don't think that anybody is saying otherwise.  That said, some of his celeb "friends" are less than high-character, such as Dan Bilzerian and Money Mayweather.

It'll be interesting to see if his basketball academy results in heightened scrutiny of the SU basketball program.

15 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Well, you left this part out:

"Weitsman said no one profited from the trip, but a donation to charity was made." 

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  

Weitsman does do a lot of good for the Syracuse community - I don't think that anybody is saying otherwise.  That said, some of his celeb "friends" are less than high-character, such as Dan Bilzerian and Money Mayweather.

It'll be interesting to see if his basketball academy results in heightened scrutiny of the SU basketball program.

I think you’re taking a leap here without having any substantial information, and it is growing tiresome.  He’s been absolutely clean since 2004.  Can you cite any other specific transgressions?

For those who don’t know what he is talking about.

https://wbng.com/2019/12/19/weitsman-to-turn-former-davis-college-property-into-elite-basketball-academy/

How would this reflect poorly on the Syracuse basketball program in any way?

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think you’re taking a leap here without having any substantial information, and it is growing tiresome.  He’s been absolutely clean since 2004.  Can you cite any other specific transgressions?

For those who don’t know what he is talking about.

https://wbng.com/2019/12/19/weitsman-to-turn-former-davis-college-property-into-elite-basketball-academy/

How would this reflect poorly on the Syracuse basketball program in any way?

What leaps am I taking?  I'm not saying that he's done anything wrong since 2004 - I have no idea whether he has or hasn't....same as you.

He sits courtside at SU games, and is extremely close to Boeheim.  The NCAA, who obviously had/has a hard on for the Syracuse Basketball program & Boeheim.  You don't think that they'll be looking for any possible hint of NCAA violations insofar as the academy and Syracuse BB program are concerned?  I'm sure that the good folks at the NCAA would love to take another swing at Boeheim & SU, and yet again turn a blind eye to Kansas, UNC & Dook

2 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

What leaps am I taking?  I'm not saying that he's done anything wrong since 2004 - I have no idea whether he has or hasn't....same as you

Come on, dude.  You’ve been bad mouthing the guy in this thread since Saturday.  You also made the assertion that he “definitely” paid Brady, Edelman and Fallon to come to the game.  What do you have against him?  

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Come on, dude.  You’ve been bad mouthing the guy in this thread since Saturday.  You also made the assertion that he “definitely” paid Brady, Edelman and Fallon to come to the game.  What do you have against him?  

I was wrong about him paying Brady and Edelman to attend the game - he made donations to unnamed charity(ies) instead (per the WEEI interview).

I don't have anything against Weitsman.  He's been EXTREMELY generous with his money, which is awesome.    My fear is that Weitsman's public image may result in the NCAA shining a really bright spotlight upon the program...and I think if you look hard enough at any big time D-1 program, you can find something.

It's become apparent that the AD's office isn't very detail oriented (e.g. Fab Melo, spelling the name of retired players incorrectly, the Ernie Davis statue issue, etc.), so I don't particularly trust them to err on the side of caution.  IMO, the sanctions caused a ripple effect which to some extent, is still felt - hence, the continued mediocrity.  Some schools - Kansas, UNC, Dook, for example - can do whatever they want.  We don't have that luxury, unfortunately. 

53 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I was wrong about him paying Brady and Edelman to attend the game - he made donations to unnamed charity(ies) instead (per the WEEI interview).

I don't have anything against Weitsman.  He's been EXTREMELY generous with his money, which is awesome.    My fear is that Weitsman's public image may result in the NCAA shining a really bright spotlight upon the program...and I think if you look hard enough at any big time D-1 program, you can find something.

It's become apparent that the AD's office isn't very detail oriented (e.g. Fab Melo, spelling the name of retired players incorrectly, the Ernie Davis statue issue, etc.), so I don't particularly trust them to err on the side of caution.  IMO, the sanctions caused a ripple effect which to some extent, is still felt - hence, the continued mediocrity.  Some schools - Kansas, UNC, Dook, for example - can do whatever they want.  We don't have that luxury, unfortunately. 

Fair enough.  I don’t think your fears are warranted, as I don’t think there is any wrong doing taking place here.  I hope not.

I guess reading the criticism hit me on a personal level.  You see, when my 2 year old niece was diagnosed with and was undergoing horrible treatment for liver cancer, Adam Weitsman not only donated his 4 season tickets for a silent auction at her benefit, he and his wife both came to the benefit and also donated (behind the scenes) $5,000 to my sister and brother in law toward their medical/travel expenses.  

I only shook his hand and said thank you and go ?, but he made a point to say hello and talk to just about everyone at the benefit.  He doesn’t know my family.  He just heard about my niece on the news and took it upon himself to help.  He is a very kind human being and very down to earth.  I sincerely hope everything with him and the university/basketball program is on the up and up, and I guess I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until I learn otherwise.

• Like (+1) 3

To be clear, I'm not saying (nor did I intend to insinuate) that he's doing anything wrong - I'm just paranoid about the NCAA having it out for Boeheim.

Your story above is yet another example of Weitsman doing good with his resources.  Kudos to him, and I hope that your niece is on the road to recovery.  By all reports, he's a solid dude, who is very generous with his resources.

• Like (+1) 1