Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am guessing he might get pushed around with a 230-pound frame like Edwards does. Still, at 6’10”, you’d think a few more balls would at least fall in your lap. 

I read somewhere that he’s more like 245 now.  The appeal of Tape (Tah-Pay) is his low post game, and from what I can gather, the coaching staff thinks he can play the 5 for us next season.  He’s got great hands and can finish.  Would be a good compliment to Sidibe.  

I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much though. He’s going to have a bunch of big offers, and will take a lot of visits.

He did play for Red Autry this summer though, which may give us an advantage.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
Add video.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I read somewhere that he’s more like 245 now.  The appeal of Tape (Tah-Pay) is his low post game, and from what I can gather, the coaching staff thinks he can play the 5 for us next season.  He’s got great hands and can finish.  Would be a good compliment to Sidibe.  

I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much though. He’s going to have a bunch of big offers, and will take a lot of visits.

He did play for Red Autry this summer though, which may give us an advantage.

Along these lines, his scoring numbers against those 3 power conference teams were extremely good. 25.6 points per 40 minutes on over 70% TS%. If that somehow isn't a fluke, that is totally game changing for us (though I imagine it was more likely just a hot streak for him as he couldn't even keep that kind of production up against the Ivy League teams).

Still, he appears to be able to catch passes and dunk the ball, which would be an upgrade over our current centers.

• Like (+1) 1

Concerted effort today to generate points in the paint.  Love the way Hughes, Boeheim and Dolezaj willed their way to 13-14 foot buckets.  Defense was inconsistent down the stretch, and I think part of the reason HW got some minutes over JG3 down the stretch.  

Guerrier is getting better and better.  Sidibe needed to just put his arms straight up on defense.  He’s a foul machine because he tries too hard to be a shot blocker.  Dolezaj is just playing out of his mind...but not a lot that’s going to show up in the box score.

Big win on the road.  Keep building that resume ?!  I feel much better about our tourney prospects than I did even two weeks ago.  I think we have a puncher’s chance if we keep on the current trajectory.

Go ????????

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Concerted effort today to generate points in the paint.  Love the way Hughes, Boeheim and Dolezaj willed their way to 13-14 foot buckets.  Defense was inconsistent down the stretch, and I think part of the reason HW got some minutes over JG3 down the stretch.  

Guerrier is getting better and better.  Sidibe needed to just put his arms straight up on defense.  He’s a foul machine because he tries too hard to be a shot blocker.  Dolezaj is just playing out of his mind...but not a lot that’s going to show up in the box score.

Big win on the road.  Keep building that resume ?!  I feel much better about our tourney prospects than I did even two weeks ago.  I think we have a puncher’s chance if we keep on the current trajectory.

Go ????????

agreed. Great win, even with Elijah having a down game shooting-wise. 

The combination of Guerrier getting more experience and Buddy shooting better has really been key, and the zone seems to be better too. 

honestly, I am not even thinking about the tourney. Would love to see them play well consistently and get some nice conference wins, like today. That’s it. They don’t have any elite players; if they can be pretty respectable with this group, that would salvage the season for me.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

agreed. Great win, even with Elijah having a down game shooting-wise. 

The combination of Guerrier getting more experience and Buddy shooting better has really been key, and the zone seems to be better too. 

honestly, I am not even thinking about the tourney. Would love to see them play well consistently and get some nice conference wins, like today. That’s it. They don’t have any elite players; if they can be pretty respectable with this group, that would salvage the season for me.

Just win baby!  These next three games against ND (away), Pitt (home) and Clemson (road) are going to be HUGE for our tourney resume prior to our home matchup with what looks like to be a “beatable” Duke team at home.  Take it game by game....get better and better.

Insert Twitter link
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm glad the Bills were good this year. I really only start following Syracuse adamantly once the Bills are out of the playoff hunt, which in previous years has happened by December.

If that happened this year, Syracuse would've depressed me too.

Watched the last few games. It's just all about if our shots are falling. But if they squeak into the Tournament, Boeheim teams know how to make noise.

The question is, can we squeak in?

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm glad the Bills were good this year. I really only start following Syracuse adamantly once the Bills are out of the playoff hunt, which in previous years has happened by December.

If that happened this year, Syracuse would've depressed me too.

Watched the last few games. It's just all about if our shots are falling. But if they squeak into the Tournament, Boeheim teams know how to make noise.

The question is, can we squeak in?

Of course we CAN squeak in.  Just keep winning ACC games, especially some of the big ones, and the selection committee won’t be able to leave us out.  A nice run in the ACC tourney will be crucial as well.

I’d like to call to attention that we are on page 44 of this thread. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

so the one time i went to cuse at notre dame with an ex who was from south bend and dad was alum i got sweet tickets. 2nd row behind the irish bench.  it was the game where fab melo was suspended the morning of the game literally while i was in line to pick up the tickets.  before the game my ex walked onto the court to ask gerry for a picture  which he gave.  long story short we lost, i got pushed onto the court but the fans rushing and stood there like an ####### while my ex was celebrating.  funny, we ran into the assistant coaches for ND after the game who came up to us and were like we cant believe you didnt get thrown out for walking onto the court pre game.  she goes my dad is so and so i wasnt worried.  her dad has the largest ND sports memorabilia collection in the world worth insane amounts of money. 

let's kick the crap outta nd tonight, pitt on saturday and then i'll be at the game at clemson next tuesday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

4 straight in conference play! Offense starting to click!

Sidibe sighting ?

I thought they played rather well tonight.  ND, for what seemed like 8 minutes, just could not miss a shot.  Cuse kept working the dribble drive with success and Dolezaj/Sidibe with some nice low post work.

Girard is turning into this team’s Devendorf.  I love the way he mixes it up, and the “hand the ball off” thing at the end was funny to me.  The clock had expired, dude was still trying to pull the ball away, so Joe just gave it to him ??

Love it.  

This team has rattled off some fairly impressive wins, and looks to be improving every week.  We’ll see.  At least now we can enjoy the ride, ? fans.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I thought they played rather well tonight.  ND, for what seemed like 8 minutes, just could not miss a shot.  Cuse kept working the dribble drive with success and Dolezaj/Sidibe with some nice low post work.

Girard is turning into this team’s Devendorf.  I love the way he mixes it up, and the “hand the ball off” thing at the end was funny to me.  The clock had expired, dude was still trying to pull the ball away, so Joe just gave it to him ??

Love it.  

This team has rattled off some fairly impressive wins, and looks to be improving every week.  We’ll see.  At least now we can enjoy the ride, ? fans.

Girard definitely has some dog in him and I like it

That was a smooth move ?

• Like (+1) 1

game of runs.  looked bleak for a while up until about 3-4 mins to go with ND taking the lead and looking like cuse was never gonna hit a shot again. then you have buddy with the nice little put back layup and cuse closed it.  that's a tough building to play in.  excellent win.  80 some points i didnt know what team i was watching!  they beat the over by like 27 points.