Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lydon was hardly a traditional big man , he was a stretch 4 who preferred shooting

We need a Fab or Onawaku , or rick Jackson a dude who will rebound and do the dirty work and not get pushed around

There is no defensive threat down low even

We don't need a traditional big. Lydon was a pretty good shot blocker and also had good hands for steals in the middle of the zone. He was vulnerable against bigger big men, but he pretty easily made up for that and more with what he provided at the other end of the floor.

Girard is best suited playing off of ball-screens; Lydon's ability to screen and both pop out for 3 pointers or slip to the hoop would be pretty much the ideal big man here. Would much rather have that than a big man asking for the ball in the post all game. Fab would be awesome too, maybe even better given his defensive talents and his ability as a roll man on offense.

Onuaku or Rick would be a huge upgrade over what we have right now, but I would much rather have another Lydon or Fab over those guys with the way basketball is played nowadays if I had the choice.

Like I said, for the offense to work, we basically just need a big man that will set screens and either finish around the rim when they roll or shoot at least a little bit when they pop. The defense is more of a team-wide issue; one player like Fab might help to cover some of that up, but Onuaku/Rick wouldn't be helping much on that end in all likelihood. Sure they could rebound, but there's only so many rebounds they can get when the other 4 guys on the floor just stand there and don't do anything. They'd basically be competing 1 on 4 for rebounds.

Edited by DCOrange

28 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

We don't need a traditional big. Lydon was a pretty good shot blocker and also had good hands for steals in the middle of the zone. He was vulnerable against bigger big men, but he pretty easily made up for that and more with what he provided at the other end of the floor.

Girard is best suited playing off of ball-screens; Lydon's ability to screen and both pop out for 3 pointers or slip to the hoop would be pretty much the ideal big man here. Would much rather have that than a big man asking for the ball in the post all game. Fab would be awesome too, maybe even better given his defensive talents and his ability as a roll man on offense.

Onuaku or Rick would be a huge upgrade over what we have right now, but I would much rather have another Lydon or Fab over those guys with the way basketball is played nowadays if I had the choice.

Like I said, for the offense to work, we basically just need a big man that will set screens and either finish around the rim when they roll or shoot at least a little bit when they pop. The defense is more of a team-wide issue; one player like Fab might help to cover some of that up, but Onuaku/Rick wouldn't be helping much on that end in all likelihood. Sure they could rebound, but there's only so many rebounds they can get when the other 4 guys on the floor just stand there and don't do anything. They'd basically be competing 1 on 4 for rebounds.

The first guy I mentioned was Fab and he was a traditional big man 

But realistically the last time Cuse was a perennial top 10 team was when we had Christmas, Fab, Jackson and Onawakua

All were big men who could defend , rebound , catch a lob and put back a rebound.. we really haven't had that from a 5 in a few years

And don't get me wrong I'd kill for a Lyndon type.. he screwed us by leaving after 2 but he was great

But Boeheim usually always recruits power forwards decently well

Edited by Buffalo716

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

there’s no reason that Sidibe can’t be this guy. As a fresh in limited time, I saw him show a ton of flashes of picking, rolling, and finishing. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The first guy I mentioned was Fab and he was a traditional big man 

But realistically the last time Cuse was a perennial top 10 team was when we had Christmas, Fab, Jackson and Onawakua

All were big men who could defend , rebound , catch a lob and put back a rebound.. we really haven't had that from a 5 in a few years

Basketball has changed a lot since those days. Fab is the only one that I might take over Lydon today. Onuaku was a worse defender than Lydon and not much better as a rebounder. Jackson was definitely a good rebounder but I'd much rather have Lydon on the offensive end.

Christmas is hard to judge because he was a disappointment up until his senior season. Lydon never even got to that point but I think Lydon was probably better back then and would be a better fit today.

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

there’s no reason that Sidibe can’t be this guy. As a fresh in limited time, I saw him show a ton of flashes of picking, rolling, and finishing. 

There were definitely flashes his freshman year. Unfortunately more flashes as a freshman than we've seen as a sophomore or junior now, not to mention Boeheim has seemingly gone away from utilizing much of it in our offense, instead relying on isolations and dribble hand-offs.

I did like Sidibe a lot as a high school prospect and as a freshman though.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Basketball has changed a lot since those days. Fab is the only one that I might take over Lydon today. Onuaku was a worse defender than Lydon and not much better as a rebounder. Jackson was definitely a good rebounder but I'd much rather have Lydon on the offensive end.

Christmas is hard to judge because he was a disappointment up until his senior season. Lydon never even got to that point but I think Lydon was probably better back then and would be a better fit today.

Read the last line of my post i edited just as you responded

I do agree Lyndon was a hell of a player

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Read an article on Twitter today about a way to “fix” the Orange line-up.

PG: JG3

SG: Hughes

SF: Dolezaj

PF: Guerrier

C- Sidibe

Buddy would be first off the bench and could play SG or SF.  Thoughts?

I don't think it's bad. I think Hughes has more of the length and size of a shooting guard as opposed to a 3 anyways and I think there could be some options offensively

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I missed the game and forgot to record.  What the hell happened other than Hughes going off.  Is Ga Tech that bad?  Jeebus...

EVERY SINGLE THING WENT IN lol

GT gameplan was terrible for any Cuse team. They played fast and took quick , usually bad shots and missed

Buddy was slow going in the first but caught and shot and made everything in the second

Girard hit some deep 3s

Guerrier and Dolezaj both fouled out I believe late in the game

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

EVERY SINGLE THING WENT IN lol

GT gameplan was terrible for any Cuse team. They played fast and took quick , usually bad shots and missed

Buddy was slow going in the first but caught and shot and made everything in the second

Girard hit some deep 3s

Guerrier and Dolezaj both fouled out I believe late in the game

Oh, so all we needed to do was make shots?  lol. I see that Hughes spent some time at SG ?

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oh, so all we needed to do was make shots?  lol. I see that Hughes spent some time at SG ?

As simple as it sounds sometimes that's the key lol

We haven't been making shots and it's hurt us, today the ball moved and the shots fell

Hughes could've done whatever he wanted

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

A couple breakthroughs today:

1. Sidibe looked more like his freshman self.
  2. Howard Washington got a decent amount of playing time and looked like our best PG today.

I forgot to mention Washington who's Buffalo native and does look like a good pass first point guard

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I forgot to mention Washington who's Buffalo native and does look like a good pass first point guard

Watched the replay.  I will say that Washington looks more “ready” than Goodine right now.  I still say, in terms of bringing the rock up the court under pressure, JG3 is our guy.  

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Forgot to record the GT game myself. Wow. Did we hopefully turn the corner?

GT does have a good defense so maybe it's a start but let's hope for more consistency

Howard Washington did have like 8 assists in 18 minutes so he was very efficient while in the game