Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

This season is going to be a long one.  Awful defense, even worse rebounding, and we have no one that can create offense within 18 feet of the hoop.  Losing out on Isaiah Stewart to UW doomed this team for the 19-20 season.  Glad I didn’t buy tickets to my son’s birthday game yet...?

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This season is going to be a long one.  Awful defense, even worse rebounding, and we have no one that can create offense within 18 feet of the hoop.  Losing out on Isaiah Stewart to UW doomed this team for the 19-20 season.  Glad I didn’t buy tickets to my son’s birthday game yet...?

My eternal optimism is slowly starting to fade ...

I always think this is the year they rebound and turn the corner on some weak seasons...

But it gets worse almost somehow ?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

My eternal optimism is slowly starting to fade ...

I always think this is the year they rebound and turn the corner on some weak seasons...

But it gets worse almost somehow ?

I think they will improve.  I just wouldn’t be making arrangements for a trip to the NCAA’s this year.  

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think they will improve.  I just wouldn’t be making arrangements for a trip to the NCAA’s this year.  

??

We need a true low post threat again, or even a guy who could bang with anybody

I miss the days of Onawaku and Rick Jackson and Christmas patrolling the low post

On 5/22/2019 at 4:05 PM, inkman said:

This is disheartening

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2019/05/jaden-mcdaniels-another-top-basketball-recruit-chooses-mike-hopkins-washington.html

Cuse seems to be heading in the opposite direction. It makes you wonder how it would be if Hopkins was given the reigns he was promised.  

On 5/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Weak class?

Brycen Goodine is a top 100 player and stud..

Joe Girard is going to be Jerry McNamara. He’s legitimate.

Quincey Guerrier is going to replace Brissett and is better offensively when they both were coming in. He might be the best kid in SUs class

Jessie Edwards has only been in the US for 8 months and is a total unknown but rising recruiting ranks. They hit with Dolezaj overseas 

I thought about these posts today as SU floundered against a depleted middling Iowa squad.  This team is bad.  None of the recruits are showing anything special.  I'm not sure Girard is a D1 athlete.  He certainly doesn't have the size for the zone.  Guerrier is nice but I'm concerned he's a smarter slightly taller Paul Harris.  A PF in a SG body.  Marek should be the 6th or 7th guy and his heroin chic look isn''t getting it done.  Sidibe is turning into a worse version of Craig Forth missing layups.  Buddy Boeheim is missing a ton of shots, the only thing he's supposed to be good at.  

This might be the worst Syracuse team of my adult life.  I think they screwed the pooch with Hopkins and left this program in Dire Straits.  I hope they recover but it's getting ugly.  I'm not sure they are going to win more than they will lose.  

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

I thought about these posts today as SU floundered against a depleted middling Iowa squad.  This team is bad.  None of the recruits are showing anything special.  I'm not sure Girard is a D1 athlete.  He certainly doesn't have the size for the zone.  Guerrier is nice but I'm concerned he's a smarter slightly taller Paul Harris.  A PF in a SG body.  Marek should be the 6th or 7th guy and his heroin chic look isn''t getting it done.  Sidibe is turning into a worse version of Craig Forth missing layups.  Buddy Boeheim is missing a ton of shots, the only thing he's supposed to be good at.  

This might be the worst Syracuse team of my adult life.  I think they screwed the pooch with Hopkins and left this program in Dire Straits.  I hope they recover but it's getting ugly.  I'm not sure they are going to win more than they will lose.  

I certainly thought it would be better

I'm certainly hoping for a turnaround but this does look like one of the Worst seasons I've ever seen

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

This team is so bad, I dont even want to watch their games because its just bad all around basketball

Agree. It's painful.  What's been really bad has been how sloppy they have been. Even in years past, when they have struggled shooting, they still mostly play a clean game.  But this year, they are turning the ball over, getting beat back up the court on defense, fumbling easy catches, forcing ugly shots, getting pushed around on the boards, committing bad fouls, you name it.  It's just ugly, sloppy ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

What is particularly vexing to me is how poorly JG3 has been shooting since the Okla St game.  No way we have a chance if he is shooting 23% from the field.  Also, Joe badly needs to work on his defense.  I expected a learning curve with the defense, but I didn’t expect the poor shooting.

I'm a season ticket holder and have been for 5 or so years at this point.  You have all seen a lot of what I will post but here is my view from the nose bleeds.

Sidibe has improved quite a bit this year.  However he shouldn't be a starting 5.  He is better around the basket but he is still too skinny to do any real damage down there.  Would be a great big to have coming off the bench.

Dolezaj hasn't improved since his Freshman year.  What's worse is he now has so many boneheaded fouls.  His trademark hustle seems to have disappeared.  Of everyone he is probably the person I am most disappointed with this year.

Eli Hughes is my favorite player on the team.  However he isn't someone that will dominate a game or take one over.  He is a good player and starter level in the ACC but he isn't a #1 option on a team.

Buddy Boeheim should be at cornell with his brother.  He is a good shooter but his athleticism leaves a lot to be desired.  He could be a really nice 6th man of the bench however I fear he will be eaten alive once ACC play starts.

JGIII plays with enthusiasm which is nice.  He and Buddy play well with each other but having both of them on the court at the same time leaves the guards lacking elite athleticism.  The moment doesn't seem to big for him which is nice and he is only a freshman so I won't be too hard but again I fear what will become of him once ACC play starts.

Boeheim has a very short leash on Guerrier and Goodine which is frustrating to watch.  They don't get any benefit of the doubt and immediately look to the sideline when they make a mistake.  Buddy and JG have no such worries.

I really like Jesse Edwards.  He is very slight of frame but you can see the skill he has.  

Cuse is lacking elite players and has an entire team of guys that would be served moving down a peg.  This is going to be a long year.  Usually they are playing cream puffs right now and nobody sees how the season will shape up, this year they have kind of been thrown to the wolves.  Hope it is good long term but this is going to be a long bumpy road.

Iowa, Penn State, and Ok State are not even the tops of their conferences and they had their way with SU.  This team might only make it to 12 or 13 wins.  Seriously.  

On 11/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, Buffalo716 said:

??

We need a true low post threat again, or even a guy who could bang with anybody

I miss the days of Onawaku and Rick Jackson and Christmas patrolling the low post

I wouldn't say a low post scorer is a need; we just need a big man that can set screens and catch passes when he rolls or pops. We haven't had a big man that was an actual threat after setting screens since Tyler Lydon. Jesse Edwards and Jon Bol Ajak could theoretically develop into that guy, though I'm pretty skeptical of both of them.

Girard should be fine as a PG if we convert to a pick-and-roll based offense; unfortunately Boeheim still has us running a ton of isolations and dribble hand-offs and we just don't have the pieces for that style of play at all. Granted we also don't have the big man for the pick-and-roll offense, but it would probably be much more successful than what we're currently doing.

Aside from a big man that can catch passes, we badly need to start getting guys to actually attempt to box out; it seems like Boeheim just doesn't really value rebounding because we've pretty much never had a team that actually boxes people out aside from 1 or 2 players.

We should in theory have the shooting we need with this roster, and I think Girard has shown enough to have some faith that he can be the primary creator long-term. But we don't have the big man we need, the offensive system we need, or the effort to try to rebound that we need, and unfortunately, if Edwards/JBA don't develop, we don't seem to have a plan on how to address that (at least at the moment).

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I wouldn't say a low post scorer is a need; we just need a big man that can set screens and catch passes when he rolls or pops. We haven't had a big man that was an actual threat after setting screens since Tyler Lydon. Jesse Edwards and Jon Bol Ajak could theoretically develop into that guy, though I'm pretty skeptical of both of them.

Girard should be fine as a PG if we convert to a pick-and-roll based offense; unfortunately Boeheim still has us running a ton of isolations and dribble hand-offs and we just don't have the pieces for that style of play at all. Granted we also don't have the big man for the pick-and-roll offense, but it would probably be much more successful than what we're currently doing.

Aside from a big man that can catch passes, we badly need to start getting guys to actually attempt to box out; it seems like Boeheim just doesn't really value rebounding because we've pretty much never had a team that actually boxes people out aside from 1 or 2 players.

We should in theory have the shooting we need with this roster, and I think Girard has shown enough to have some faith that he can be the primary creator long-term. But we don't have the big man we need, the offensive system we need, or the effort to try to rebound that we need, and unfortunately, if Edwards/JBA don't develop, we don't seem to have a plan on how to address that (at least at the moment).

Lydon was hardly a traditional big man , he was a stretch 4 who preferred shooting

We need a Fab or Onawaku , or rick Jackson a dude who will rebound and do the dirty work and not get pushed around

There is no defensive threat down low even

Edited by Buffalo716