Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

9 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Didn’t get to see it. Offense look more on track? 

I thought Carey was supposed to be the man this year! 

Still need lots of polish, but the defense and shooting was much better.  JG3 just brings a palpable energy to the game every time he checks in for Carey.  He looks the part of a major D-1 PG, and while Carey has a lot of talent, he just does not seem to be mentally tough enough.  Lacks confidence...easily shaken.  I feel bad for the kid, but I’ve been saying since summer time that Girard was going to will his way to that starting spot.

Nice to see lots of kids get minutes in the 2nd half.  Guerrier finally showed some stuff offensively.  Sidibe looked pretty solid.  I’d like to see Goodine get some minutes at SG....which he might have at the very end last night.

Good bounce back game.

I always take games like Sidibe and Dolezaj's today with a grain of salt. Not sure some of the finishes they had today don't get pinned to the backboard against ACC competition, but it was definitely a promising development. Sidibe continues to look much, much healthier than he has the past couple years and he was a pretty productive player (albeit in limited minutes) before the injuries originally crept in. Hopefully he continues to play well moving forwards.

Girard hasn't even shot the ball very well so far, especially relative to expectations, but his ball-handling looks legitimately above average, and on this team, that makes him the clear best ball-handler. And since he's such a threat off the ball, his presence as point guard allows the ball to move a lot more rather than sticking to guys' hands.

Boeheim and Hughes showed off much more well-rounded games than they get credit for last night too. 

12 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Good win. Send Carey packing. Girard is the guy.

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Didn’t get to see it. Offense look more on track? 

I thought Carey was supposed to be the man this year! 

Carey benched. Girard starting Saturday per Boeheim's post game interview.  

Syracuse, N.Y. – Syracuse will have a new starting point guard when the Orange takes the court against Seattle on Saturday. Joe Girard III, the high-scoring freshman from Glens Falls, earned the promotion just two games into the season. Syracuse c... https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2019/11/lineup-shakeup-jim-boeheim-names-joe-girard-as-starter-after-win-over-colgate.html

Edited by inkman
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s sad, really.  I’ve been noticing Carey reacting to some negative stuff about him on Twitter, and this was even before the UVA game.  He clearly is an insecure kid, and you can see it in his game.  

My hope is that JC responds well and remains a good teammate.  Finish out the season and enter the transfer portal if need be, but I hope he does it right.  Good kid, overall.

I liked what i saw in Geurrier and Jesse Edwards(damn is he long) last night, hell, even Howard Washington looked more solid than he's looked before.  Gotta keep in mind, Virginia is a whole different beast and are going to make a lot, if not most teams, look as bad as syracuse did.  Bol Ajak apparently is being red-shirted

The game was certainly decided but Washington had a better handle on the offence than Carey does at this point. Hopefully Jalen can transfer without much fanfare. Gurrier has me a little concerned as he's going to be facing looooong ACC bigs down low.  Hopefully, he learned how to use his strength to overcome that. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s sad, really.  I’ve been noticing Carey reacting to some negative stuff about him on Twitter, and this was even before the UVA game.  He clearly is an insecure kid, and you can see it in his game.  

My hope is that JC responds well and remains a good teammate.  Finish out the season and enter the transfer portal if need be, but I hope he does it right.  Good kid, overall.

Yea it's sad but that's major college sports....

Carey has/had tons of potential... But as you said, just doenst seem to have it upstairs rn....

It's a shame because he was a top 50 recruit but right when he came on campus last year, everybody was so pumped for him and thought hed replace Howard, but he always looked Shakey with the ball in his hands 

I said last summer that I thought he'd be a transfer after this season because JG3

11 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Isn’t it interesting that there hasn’t been a 247 crystal ball prediction for Isaiah Jackson since 10/22?  His people are really holding this very tight to the vest.  I keep hearing Kentucky lean but Syracuse is still “in it.”

We’ll find out this weekend.

I can't remember a more tight-lipped recruitment than this one. I know at least as of a few days ago, our coaching staff thought we were in a good position for him, but it's been radio silent ever since, and my other connections say they haven't heard anything in weeks. I don't really know what to think. I'm assuming he isn't coming here just to not get my hopes up, but if I were the optimistic type:

1. Nate Oats made some public comments the other day that seemed to imply his 2020 recruiting efforts were all for naught and that 2021 was the bigger priority. He also recently went to visit at least one other big man prospect, which could mean he doesn't think Isaiah is going there.
  2. It seems like we usually know well in advance when Kentucky is expecting a commitment and that obviously isn't the case here. They too have been focusing on other big men (but then again, it's Kentucky...they try to get as many guys as humanly possible every year).

I also keep coming back to the fact that we had basically given up on Isaiah and then he reached out to us to express that he was very interested in coming here. I think we have a better chance than the media is giving us credit for (which is a 0% chance), but again, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll continue to assume he isn't coming here until I hear otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I can't remember a more tight-lipped recruitment than this one. I know at least as of a few days ago, our coaching staff thought we were in a good position for him, but it's been radio silent ever since, and my other connections say they haven't heard anything in weeks. I don't really know what to think. I'm assuming he isn't coming here just to not get my hopes up, but if I were the optimistic type:

1. Nate Oats made some public comments the other day that seemed to imply his 2020 recruiting efforts were all for naught and that 2021 was the bigger priority. He also recently went to visit at least one other big man prospect, which could mean he doesn't think Isaiah is going there.
  2. It seems like we usually know well in advance when Kentucky is expecting a commitment and that obviously isn't the case here. They too have been focusing on other big men (but then again, it's Kentucky...they try to get as many guys as humanly possible every year).

I also keep coming back to the fact that we had basically given up on Isaiah and then he reached out to us to express that he was very interested in coming here. I think we have a better chance than the media is giving us credit for (which is a 0% chance), but again, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll continue to assume he isn't coming here until I hear otherwise.

Great analysis here.  And very consistent with what I’m hearing from people in the know.  My main guy who is almost always right is getting tired of me texting him for Isaiah updates, finally responded yesterday after he got back from Hawaii ?

“Dude, I have no idea.  Honestly.  No one does.  The only thing I’ve heard is that the coaching staff legit feels like they have a chance.”  

This is is a strange recruitment.  I’ll cross my fingers, as IJ would be a huge get for this program.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Great analysis here.  And very consistent with what I’m hearing from people in the know.  My main guy who is almost always right is getting tired of me texting him for Isaiah updates, finally responded yesterday after he got back from Hawaii ?

“Dude, I have no idea.  Honestly.  No one does.  The only thing I’ve heard is that the coaching staff legit feels like they have a chance.”  

This is is a strange recruitment.  I’ll cross my fingers, as IJ would be a huge get for this program.

Super tight lipped recruitment

And UK has a few big men in 2020 class....

Silently optimistic

12 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Isaiah’s dad interviewed with someone. Long story short, he said he (father) liked Syracuse and Kentucky and that Isaiah liked Alabama and Kentucky. That doesn’t sound good at all. 

If Isaiah’s Dad is anything like Taurean Thompson’s Mom, we have a 50/50 chance ?

• Haha (+1) 1