Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

That was brutal. The announcers are right. Very poor motion with Syracuse’s offense. Not much cutting and ball movement. So, basically the same as it’s been the last 5 years.

Surprised though that the shooting was that bad.  Some really atrocious misses. But I guess a good D will cause you to speed everything up. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

22 minutes.  2 assists; 3 points.

Any yet he at least looked the part of a game managing point guard.  Jalen Carey always looks like he’s going to crap his pants out there.  JG3 is a gamer.  He’ll be alright.  Notice how Virginia was basically face guarding him on the perimeter?

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Well that was a very very bad not good game. 

I once scored 34 points in a CYO game.

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I once scored 34 points in a CYO game.

? I'm honestly pretty convinced that if you gave me a couple weeks to dedicate to training again, I would be a better ball-handler than most of the people on our team and could at least hold my own shooting-wise (not with Boeheim and Girard, but I'm confident I could shoot as well as guys like Carey and Guerrier).

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

? I'm honestly pretty convinced that if you gave me a couple weeks to dedicate to training again, I would be a better ball-handler than most of the people on our team and could at least hold my own shooting-wise (not with Boeheim and Girard, but I'm confident I could shoot as well as guys like Carey and Guerrier).

I play an old man game now, for sure. But when I play (which is at least 3 times per week), I am making 80%+ of my shots. I understand that it's much different playing D-I-- but I also know that our guys are 8 inches taller than me and can jump probably 2-3 feet higher than me.  And it boggles my mind that guys can miss so many open shots.  

10 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I play an old man game now, for sure. But when I play (which is at least 3 times per week), I am making 80%+ of my shots. I understand that it's much different playing D-I-- but I also know that our guys are 8 inches taller than me and can jump probably 2-3 feet higher than me.  And it boggles my mind that guys can miss so many open shots.  

I think in time this team will prove to be a good shooting team, but there's so many other issues with it. I just happened to be a very good shooter in my own right so I do think I could hang with the lesser shooters on our team.

The ball-handling part is more about how poor our ball-handlers are than anything else haha.

FWIW, I'm still in my mid-20s and I do realistically think I could have walked on at Syracuse if I had wanted to. I played against a couple of our recent players when we were in high school (note: none of our good players) and I held my own pretty well back then.

Edited by DCOrange

i was really disgusted by the game last night, but then i listened to Boeheim's post game presser, he pointed out several things they did well as well as the obvious things they didn't do well, but he kept hammering the point that this VA team is the best defensive team in the country, and the second best is probably a VERY distant second.  He also made comments about how ridiculous it is to start the season not only against a conference foe, but also the reigning National Champions to boot....he made some really good points and was very encouraging...should be interesting to see how things shake out

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think in time this team will prove to be a good shooting team, but there's so many other issues with it. I just happened to be a very good shooter in my own right so I do think I could hang with the lesser shooters on our team.

The ball-handling part is more about how poor our ball-handlers are than anything else haha.

FWIW, I'm still in my mid-20s and I do realistically think I could have walked on at Syracuse if I had wanted to. I played against a couple of our recent players when we were in high school (note: none of our good players) and I held my own pretty well back then.

That's sweet!  You're a real baller!

What's funny is that I hit my bball prime at like age 38. I realized how to play smart and pick my spots finally. I just play rec leagues and pick-up. But like I said, if I have an open 15-17-footer, I don't miss. 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

That's sweet!  You're a real baller!

What's funny is that I hit my bball prime at like age 38. I realized how to play smart and pick my spots finally. I just play rec leagues and pick-up. But like I said, if I have an open 15-17-footer, I don't miss. 

For me, my skills probably peaked in high school (just because I was going into school an hour or two early to train with my coach as well as school and AAU practices after school). I shot roughly 50% from 3 in high school. That definitely dropped off in college, but I became a lot more aggressive once I got to college which I think made me a much better player despite my shooting dropping off a little bit.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

so what are you fans realistically looking for this season?

Realistically I'm hoping for an NIT birth and I don't think we can take that for granted.

• Like (+1) 1

Currently on vacation in Puerto Rico and came upon this beautiful basketball court near the fort in San Juan. It was donated post-Hurricane Maria by 'Cuse legend and local hero Carmelo Anthony. It is near one of the poorest sections of the city and it was meant to give kids something to do during the many months without electricity.

=?utf-8?Q?=EF=BF=BC.jpg

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

23 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Currently on vacation in Puerto Rico and came upon this beautiful basketball court near the fort in San Juan. It was donated post-Hurricane Maria by 'Cuse legend and local hero Carmelo Anthony. It is near one of the poorest sections of the city and it was meant to give kids something to do during the many months without electricity.

=?utf-8?Q?=EF=BF=BC.jpg

Thanks for sharing.  Melo is a really good dude.  “Met” him a couple times.  Does great things in the community, and is actually pretty down to earth.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Thanks for sharing.  Melo is a really good dude.  “Met” him a couple times.  Does great things in the community, and is actually pretty down to earth.

Definitely and he's always given back

Let's hope another 5* in Isiah wants to wear the orange and white