Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Zion is......different. 

The guy is just a freak.

I can see the whole "the next Lebron" thing except he's going to need some kind of jump shot in the NBA.

How can I even be remotely upset about tonight's loss when Zion went 13 for 13 for 29 points.

I'm actually shocked Syracuse made this much of a game of it without Battle.

3 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Don't look now but.. Syracuse is in the game with Duke minus one Tyus Battle.

ACC tournaments are important. They establish momentum for the tournament and you get to hang a friggin banner. Of course these kids like winning the conference.. they're competitors. ACC championship is a nice consolation prize for the highly unlikely chance of going deep in the tourney.

Plus your conference can really suck. So when ACC shat the bed as a whole last year in the dance at least you can say you were better than the rest of those guys.

Conference Championships are meaningless unless it gets you in the tournament.

It's annoying but fun at the same time, but the truth is it almost isn't worth following the regular season or the conference championship if you know your team gets into the NCAA Tournament.

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Howard is awful.

No... he's not.

He was the biggest reason we were in this game tonight.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The guy is just a freak.

I can see the whole "the next Lebron" thing except he's going to need some kind of jump shot in the NBA.

How can I even be remotely upset about tonight's loss when Zion went 13 for 13 for 29 points.

It's annoying but fun at the same time, but the truth is it almost isn't worth following the regular season or the conference championship if you know your team gets into the NCAA Tournament.

No... he's not.

He is inconsistent but yea he is hardly horrible.

he could’ve been really good. It’s all in his head 

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The guy is just a freak.

No... he's not.

Howard's bad. If that's going to be your response, I'm wasting my time. And you'll get the same kind of response.

He is bad. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He routinely disrupts the offense. The only good thing I can say about him is that he is a competitor, and looks upset when he is getting out played, which is often. 

He is awful at passing, his 3 shot isn't good and he comes down and just pulls up far too often for his skill set. He's bad at driving.

He's not good. He makes Brandon Triche look like a lottery pick. I couldn't stand Kooney and his crying mama and he makes me wish we had him back.

Howard's bad. I won't move off that point.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

When you talk about Syracuse guards who could have been good louie mccroskey is where it is at.

No one is going to miss Howard. He was never going to be good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nike Corporation comes to Durham to custom build a shoe for a student athlete = great story

Graduate assistant allegedly writes a paper for a student athlete = 101 games forfeited, loss of future scholarships, loss of future post season participation

what amazed me is that Bilas and McDonough were basically gushing while telling the Nike story and Bilas is one of the biggest critics of the NCAA

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're right. I just find watching him so frustrating. His turnovers make me lose my mind. That run where cuse was up like 9-7, and no one scored but cuse was getting turn overs only for him to turn the ball over was killing me. I missed the first 5 minutes, I know from like the 15 to 10 or 9 minute mark he had 3 turnovers alone. They went from 9-7 or so in that time to like 23-11. He just pisses me off. I can't wait to never watch him again. I hope he go plays in effin Mongolia and gets stuck there.

Edit- lol sorry being a little harsh there.

LOL I get the frustration, for someone that plays PG he is careless with the basketball. Lazy dribbling and passing wayyyy too often. 

and i am sorry, didn't Zion miss a shot in the first half, then immediately missed a free throw after the miss.  I commented on it as it happened, unless of course the waved off the shot and said the foul occurred prior to the shooting motion.  Regardless, he is an absolute freak, but as others have pointed out, he has his work cut out for him to be successful in the NBA

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

How was he from the line? Great athlete and good player, I think he's kind of like one of those rbs you talk about from college who is great but relies on speed and will rarely turn the corner when everyone is a great athlete.

I very well could be wrong, but idk how he'll translate in the NBA where he'll have another 6'8 or a lanky 3 covering him in a man to man scheme. I just don't see him getting seperation for shots, or having the skills lebron has who I'm not a fan of, with the ball.

Howard is awful.

Almost nobody in the NBA can match up with him either IMO. I'm not sure anyone in the NBA right now has his combination of size and athleticism and he's a really skilled dude too. He's easily among the 3-5 best prospects to come out since LeBron IMO and might be the best.

Edited by DCOrange

I'd hazard he might be one of the best prospects since the MJ era, that would include the likes of barkley, kobe(different type of player), lebron and a handful of others.  I don't want to like him, but he is very likeable and easy to root for

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Almost nobody in the NBA can match up with him either IMO. I'm not sure anyone in the NBA right now has his combination of size and athleticism and he's a really skilled dude too. He's easily among the 3-5 best prospects to come out since LeBron IMO.

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Almost nobody in the NBA can match up with him either IMO. I'm not sure anyone in the NBA right now has his combination of size and athleticism and he's a really skilled dude too. He's easily among the 3-5 best prospects to come out since LeBron IMO and might be the best.

He could very well have a good shot but I dont see it because he doesnt shoot that much from outside from what I have watched. He did nail a 3 so the ability is certainly there, but from what I have seen, he uses his weight and speed and just bullies people down low (as he should since its unstoppable really in this league). I think the point others are making is that he will need to develop an outside game as once he gets to the NBA he wont be able to get away with the things he is doing now at the current rate. 

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's whatever you want to be as a fan. You know the kids want to hang a banner. I want to hang a banner. I enjoy Syracuse making a name for themselves with a run in the ACC tournament. It may not get as much notoriety as a run the the big tournament but it's just a smaller tournament where we have a much higher chance to.. get that banner hung!

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

He could very well have a good shot but I dont see it because he doesnt shoot that much from outside from what I have watched. He did nail a 3 so the ability is certainly there, but from what I have seen, he uses his weight and speed and just bullies people down low (as he should since its unstoppable really in this league). I think the point others are making is that he will need to develop an outside game as once he gets to the NBA he wont be able to get away with the things he is doing now at the current rate. 

Completely different builds, but in terms of his playstyle, see Giannis Antetokounmpo as far as what Zion will model his game after, and setting aside my Bucks fandom, his jumpshot is probably better than Giannis'. Anyone big enough to handle Zion's strength; he'll be able to drive past from the perimeter. Anyone that can keep up with him will be bullied. Sag off on him and that'll just allow him to get his momentum going towards the hoop in which case you're at his mercy. Play up tight on him and he'll just blow by. Really talented ball-handler and passer for someone his size too not to mention the value he'll bring in terms of rebounding and defending.

5 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Spacing in the NBA right now. He's already a better shooter than Ben Simmons or Giannis. These guys can be successful with absolutely no shot to begin with bullying people in the pros with shooters around them spacing the floor.

He's a top prospect because he's actually a very good shooter with range for his size combined with LeBron potential for bullying down the lane for high percentage shots. He's got a high floor, higher ceiling. Scouts are drooling at him for his shooting potential. If he can shoot just as good as Giannis right now.. he can improve as much as Giannis has improved his shot if he works at it. He's a high IQ player too, there's no flaws to what his game is capable of being and that's all you want out of an NBA prospect.

Every guy his age has a ton to work on. It's just the fact that he has this great skill set already coming into the NBA with potential to round out with everything you're bringing up he might struggle with. If 19 year olds never improved in the NBA and the Zion you see now is the Zion you see 5 years later in the NBA.. he'll be a decent player. But scouts are obviously going to project him out. He's the certain #1 overall and has no flaws you couldn't also point to other dominant college players. You're criticism could be said for every dominant big guy entering the NBA. You have to assume they improve.

Ben Simmons never improved his shot and he could be so much better. Zion already has everything Ben Simmons has plus a better shot.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Completely different builds, but in terms of his playstyle, see Giannis Antetokounmpo as far as what Zion will model his game after, and setting aside my Bucks fandom, his jumpshot is probably better than Giannis'. Anyone big enough to handle Zion's strength; he'll be able to drive past from the perimeter. Anyone that can keep up with him will be bullied. Sag off on him and that'll just allow him to get his momentum going towards the hoop in which case you're at his mercy. Play up tight on him and he'll just blow by. Really talented ball-handler and passer for someone his size too not to mention the value he'll bring in terms of rebounding and defending.

I dont know how much he will be able to bully people in the NBA, while he is heavy, he is only 6'7". He isnt going to be going up against bean poles like Dolezaj and Chukwu. He will have to show he can hit mid range jumpers (probably 3's more likely as this is the way the game is moving) consistently. Not saying he cant now, all I am saying is he hasnt had to show it.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

...and they weren’t all dunks. A few were tricky. 

I don't even care if they were all dunks. What's the data analytics on dunks haha. That's why Giannis is so good and efficient. If you have a guy that can throw down a dunk regularly in the NBA you have a very efficient player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Spacing in the NBA right now. He's already a better shooter than Ben Simmons or Giannis. These guys can be successful with absolutely no shot to begin with bullying people in the pros with shooters around them spacing the floor.

He's a top prospect because he's actually a very good shooter with range for his size combined with LeBron potential for bullying down the lane for high percentage shots. He's got a high floor, higher ceiling. Scouts are drooling at him for his shooting potential. If he can shoot just as good as Giannis right now.. he can improve as much as Giannis has improved his shot if he works at it. He's a high IQ player too, there's no flaws to what his game is capable of being and that's all you want out of an NBA prospect.

Every guy his age has a ton to work on. It's just the fact that he has this great skill set already coming into the NBA with potential to round out with everything you're bringing up he might struggle with. If 19 year olds never improved in the NBA and the Zion you see now is the Zion you see 5 years later in the NBA.. he'll be a decent player. But scouts are obviously going to project him out. He's the certain #1 overall and has no flaws you couldn't also point to other dominant college players. You're criticism could be said for every dominant big guy entering the NBA. You have to assume they improve.

Ben Simmons never improved his shot and he could be so much better. Zion already has everything Ben Simmons has plus a better shot.

He may, I havent seen it is my point. Where he dominates right now is around the rim, I havent seen him shoot much

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I dont know how much he will be able to bully people in the NBA, while he is heavy, he is only 6'7". He isnt going to be going up against bean poles like Dolezaj and Chukwu. He will have to show he can hit mid range jumpers (probably 3's more likely as this is the way the game is moving) consistently. Not saying he cant now, all I am saying is he hasnt had to show it.

He'll be like the 2nd heaviest player in the NBA the moment he's drafted. He'll almost certainly be able to bully people. He has 40-50 lbs on Giannis and Giannis is able to bully people inside. The 6'7" height won't really matter; if anything it just makes him even more dense and his leaping ability negates any height advantage a defender might have.

16 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

He may, I havent seen it is my point. Where he dominates right now is around the rim, I havent seen him shoot much

You'd have seen it if you watch all his games. I haven't myself.. college basketball is painful to watch so I just watch Syracuse, but I trust Duke fans, analysts, and I see it on highlights.

But my larger point is in the NBA right now you can get away with not having a shot. The game's changed so much that nobody wants midrange 2s, they need efficiency in the paint and 3 range shooters. The better Zion is a threat to shoot a 3 the closer the NBA defender has to guard him on the perimeter, and the easier it is for him to take it to the basket.

Giannis is limited and has defenders giving up the 3 and he still has the ability to drive and kick or get a layup in the paint. Analytics have made midrange 2s extinct. Idk if you've seen the shot charts out on how the NBA is evolved right now but you'll see most shots in the NBA are either all behind the 3 point line or 3 feet from the basket. It's a misconception that the NBA is changing to all 3 shooting superstars. The spacing allows for more efficient drives in the paint, and there's more shots in the paint than ever with midrange 2s eliminated. The spacing 3 point shooting role players provide allows the superstars to operate all over the arc. The superstars aren't necessarily 3 point shooters.. the guys around them are.

shot chart.JPG

I kind of see scoring on the inside as evolving from post up play (due to the paint being crowded) in the Shaq era to driving inside from the perimeter with hyper athletic superstars who score themselves or dish it to the big guy.

Zion will be able to drive like the best of them.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P