Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

30 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Who’s your team, troll?  It is clear that you know nothing about the history of Syracuse recruiting.  As was stated, Syracuse has never been one of those teams that loads up on McDonalds All Americans every year.  We have always gotten one top 10-20 recruit about every 2-3 years.  We typically load up on 3-4* kids that have potential and for the system.

Yes, the sanctions hurt us.  Yes, losing Mike Hopkins hurt us.  We all know that, and most of us on here are very critical of Jim Boeheim if you’d pay attention.  The program in a “free fall” though?!  You’re a complete dolt if you believe that.

Very solid recruiting class coming in ‘19 highlighted by Guerrier, Goodine, and JG3.  We will likely have 2 scholarships for the ‘20 class, and we’ve just landed a top 75 PF.  Likely going to land a 5* SG/SF for ‘20 as well.  I think we’re in pretty good shape.  

I follow two teams: UB (hometown), Duke (Alumni)

I follow enough College BB to realize the Syracuse brand is not like what it was, while they were in the Big East.  Since they have joined the ACC, their championships have become beating a team like Duke or Carolina, like many of the other middle to low end ACC teams. 

I was responding to the other dude who literally said Syracuse has always been a GREAT recruiting school.  In what world has Syracuse been a great recruiting school over the last 5 to 6 years?

What are your expectations this year for Syracuse?  I think they will struggle to make the tournament.  IMO, another year without the tournament in the ACC becomes a pattern of the norm.  Before coming to the ACC, Syracuse was a consistent threat in the tournament.  Not making it this year would be a third year, while they have only been a 7 seed or lower once since joining, and that was the first year they were in the ACC.

I'm not even sure why I am even debating this with you.  The results are clear as day.  There was a pretty abrupt downturn for Syracuse since they have joined the ACC.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I follow two teams: UB (hometown), Duke (Alumni)

I follow enough College BB to realize the Syracuse brand is not like what it was, while they were in the Big East.  Since they have joined the ACC, their championships have become beating a team like Duke or Carolina, like many of the other middle to low end ACC teams. 

I was responding to the other dude who literally said Syracuse has always been a GREAT recruiting school.  In what world has Syracuse been a great recruiting school over the last 5 to 6 years?

What are your expectations this year for Syracuse?  I think they will struggle to make the tournament.  IMO, another year without the tournament in the ACC becomes a pattern of the norm.  Before coming to the ACC, Syracuse was a consistent threat in the tournament.  Not making it this year would be a third year, while they have only been a 7 seed or lower once since joining, and that was the first year they were in the ACC.

I'm not even sure why I am even debating this with you.  The results are clear as day.  There was a pretty abrupt downturn for Syracuse since they have joined the ACC.

You are a joke 

and yes SU getting tons high major 4* recruits sprinkled in with 5* is great recruiting 

they aren’t dook you bandwagoner

And sanctions have KILLED their recruiting the last 5 years.. you know NOTHING about the program, clear as day

cus 6- 7 years ago before sanctions they were LOADED with 5* talent 

michael carter Williams , Jeramy grant, Tyler Ennis , Dion waiters, fab Melo, Dujuan Coleman ALL were 5* recruits from the same time 

and yes a top 100 4* is still a great player

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are a joke 

and yes SU getting tons high major 4* recruits sprinkled in with 5* is great recruiting 

they aren’t dook you bandwagoner

And sanctions have KILLED their recruiting the last 5 years.. you know NOTHING about the program, clear as day

cus 6- 7 years ago before sanctions they were LOADED with 5* talent 

michael carter Williams , Jeramy grant, Tyler Ennis , Dion waiters, fab Melo, Dujuan Coleman ALL were 5* recruits from the same time 

and yes a top 100 4* is still a great player

There is no reason to get personal my man.  I really have no idea why you are getting so angry.

Everything is a comparison.  Comparing SU's recruiting to UB would be considered great.  Comparing SU's recruiting to the alpha dogs of the ACC would not make them great, which was the root of the debate.

Bandwagoner, good one.  100k in loans says otherwise.

Again, why are you acting like the sanctions are a cop out?  You realize that Fab Melo is a major reason for the sanctions.  You ever thing their success in recruiting was because of the sanctions?  Now that they need to be compliant, they no longer can get the likes of Fab Melo?

I know this may be tough to hear, but the national perception of Syracuse Basketball is not what it used to be like 10 years ago.  A ton of other programs have dealt with the same situation since the Big East essentially broke up.  What's your opinion on Pittsburgh and Notre Dame basketball?  I feel like a lot of these teams have been hurt by having to compete with the Southern BB schools.  It's a different animal that the Northern teams don't have the same advantages, yet have to play in the same conference.

8 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

There is no reason to get personal my man.  I really have no idea why you are getting so angry.

Everything is a comparison.  Comparing SU's recruiting to UB would be considered great.  Comparing SU's recruiting to the alpha dogs of the ACC would not make them great, which was the root of the debate.

Bandwagoner, good one.  100k in loans says otherwise.

Again, why are you acting like the sanctions are a cop out?  You realize that Fab Melo is a major reason for the sanctions.  You ever thing their success in recruiting was because of the sanctions?  Now that they need to be compliant, they no longer can get the likes of Fab Melo?

I know this may be tough to hear, but the national perception of Syracuse Basketball is not what it used to be like 10 years ago.  A ton of other programs have dealt with the same situation since the Big East essentially broke up.  What's your opinion on Pittsburgh and Notre Dame basketball?  I feel like a lot of these teams have been hurt by having to compete with the Southern BB schools.  It's a different animal that the Northern teams don't have the same advantages, yet have to play in the same conference.

I’m not the only one calling you a troll

SU has been to 2 final 4s since they joined the ACC... do they recruit like dook? No

but they recruit like Louisville a top 15 program historically 

they are MUCHHH BETTER program than Pitt and ND over 40 years. Recruiting wise , record wise, everything 

You are literally smoking crack if you don’t think top 100 recruits qualify as really good 

Sorry if I hurt your feelings

Edited by Buffalo716

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m not the only one calling you a troll

SU has been to 2 final 4s since they joined the ACC... do they recruit like dook? No

but they recruit like Louisville a top 15 program historically 

they are MUCHHH BETTER program than Pitt and ND over 40 years. Recruiting wise , record wise, everything 

You are literally smoking crack if you don’t think top 100 recruits qualify as really good 

Sorry if I hurt your feelings

Where is this 2 final 4's since joining ACC come from?

Louisville is a tough compare recently with all the Pitino stuff that happened, but now that Mack is settled in, they have a much better class than Syracuse this year (11th versus 30th).

You keep bringing up all these past years, when the entire root of the debate is present day.  Pitt, ND, and Cuse are all on the same level in the national perception.  How you view Pitt and ND today is how others view Syracuse today.

Again, stop with the personal insults. 

10 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Where is this 2 final 4's since joining ACC come from?

Louisville is a tough compare recently with all the Pitino stuff that happened, but now that Mack is settled in, they have a much better class than Syracuse this year (11th versus 30th).

You keep bringing up all these past years, when the entire root of the debate is present day.  Pitt, ND, and Cuse are all on the same level in the national perception.  How you view Pitt and ND today is how others view Syracuse today.

Again, stop with the personal insults. 

SU went  to the final 4 in 13 and 17... and the sweet 16 in 18 (my bad 13 was last year of big east)

they are far from fallen off man

2 final 4s in last 6 years

ND and Pitt haven’t gone to a final 4 in I can’t  even tell you how long... SU is a much better program than those 2 right now 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

You are wrong a lot in your postings on this topic but I have to specifically call you out on this one.  You do realize that the sanctions had absolutely nothing to do with recruiting?  No the success can be traced back to landing Melo, winning a championship, and continuing to recruit strongly.  The sanctions crippled the team and they were 6 deep for a few years.  Losing Hop has hurt recruiting but not nearly as much as the NCAA sanctions did.

Duke consistently has great recruiting classes.  Since 2013 they have 1 championship, 1 first round exit, 1 second round exit, 1 sweet 16, and 2 elite 8s. 

SU was on sanctions with limited scholarships.  Since 2013 they have 0 championship, 1 missed tourney (self imposed ban but they weren't going to make it), 1 first round exit, 1 second round exit, 1 sweet 16, and 2 final 4s.

So Duke won a championship but has less final 4s.  They each have a first and second round exit.  They each have been to the sweet 16 3 times.  Cuse has been to the elite 8 twice and is 2-0.  Duke has been to the elite 8 3 times and is 1-2.  The gap isn't nearly as wide as you make it out to be.  Simply put the Orange do more than they should with lesser talent and Duke does worse than they should with better talent.

I'm not sure how you are the final word on the Orange's national reputation but Duke is known as tourney chokers and Cuse are known as a team that you don't want to play in the tourney due to the zone.  Cuse isn't one of the "blue bloods" and never has been.  They will almost always get beat out by Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC in recruiting.  That has long been the case. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, section122 said:

You are wrong a lot in your postings on this topic but I have to specifically call you out on this one.  You do realize that the sanctions had absolutely nothing to do with recruiting?  No the success can be traced back to landing Melo, winning a championship, and continuing to recruit strongly.  The sanctions crippled the team and they were 6 deep for a few years.  Losing Hop has hurt recruiting but not nearly as much as the NCAA sanctions did.

Duke consistently has great recruiting classes.  Since 2013 they have 1 championship, 1 first round exit, 1 second round exit, 1 sweet 16, and 2 elite 8s. 

SU was on sanctions with limited scholarships.  Since 2013 they have 0 championship, 1 missed tourney (self imposed ban but they weren't going to make it), 1 first round exit, 1 second round exit, 1 sweet 16, and 2 final 4s.

So Duke won a championship but has less final 4s.  They each have a first and second round exit.  They each have been to the sweet 16 3 times.  Cuse has been to the elite 8 twice and is 2-0.  Duke has been to the elite 8 3 times and is 1-2.  The gap isn't nearly as wide as you make it out to be.  Simply put the Orange do more than they should with lesser talent and Duke does worse than they should with better talent.

I'm not sure how you are the final word on the Orange's national reputation but Duke is known as tourney chokers and Cuse are known as a team that you don't want to play in the tourney due to the zone.  Cuse isn't one of the "blue bloods" and never has been.  They will almost always get beat out by Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC in recruiting.  That has long been the case. 

2 hours ago, section122 said:

SUs success came way before Melo as well.. Boeheim was  a dominant recruiter in the 80s and early 90s as well

he grabbed #1 recruit Pearl Washington and #1 overall recruit Derrick Coleman. Sherman Owens and Billy Douglas were studs 

lost to Indiana in the National championship on a buzzer beater in 87... SU is super close to being 2-1 in championship games 

he doesnt know what hes he’s talking about 

he says SU is on the decline but NOBODY wants to play SU come March madness... ask Virginia

SU May not be a “blue blood” but they are RIGHT in the next category with Arizona , Louisville, Mich state etc

Edited by Buffalo716

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Carey fresh off his Europe tour with USA east

Some of his freshman struggles still apparent so hopefully he irons out the kinks

I think it’s more mental than anything else with Carey.  He clearly has the raw talent.  Can he overcome his mental challenges?  That’s thought to do.  So much more challenging than improving skill wise.  I wish the best for Jalen, but I’m not betting the farm that he is our starting PG next year.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m skeptical.  I think Marek will play a lot of Center this year.  Edwards might be able to bang with Colgate and Cleveland State, but that rail thin body against ACC competition?   Yikes.  Promising, but I would be stunned if he were a contributor in 19-20.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m skeptical.  I think Marek will play a lot of Center this year.  Edwards might be able to bang with Colgate and Cleveland State, but that rail thin body against ACC competition?   Yikes.  Promising, but I would be stunned if he were a contributor in 19-20.

Hes thin but he probably already weighs more than sidibe

I agree I can see Marek playing a bunch of center but he's also rail thin and we don't rebound that great with him at the 5

It does open up the offense tho