Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agree to disagree.  I think HW is odd man out next season with Carey and perhaps JG3 getting time ahead of him at PG.  Especially with Goodine in the mix.  Again, wouldn’t be stunned to see HW transfer.

Goodine is a slashing SG , he won’t be playing the 1 though I really like him

Carey needs to get a lot better rn buddy... he’s not a starting ACC pg rn. He looks like a slasher  cg . I can see JGIII playing a lot of point

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Goodine is a slashing SG , he won’t be playing the 1 though I really like him

Carey needs to get a lot better rn buddy... he’s not a starting ACC pg rn. He looks like a slasher  cg . I can see JGIII playing a lot of point

G-Mac did say that he was recruiting JG3 as a PG even though he was a SG in HS.  I think he would do fine there.  Although, I will say that Carey could and probably will make a huge jump from year 1 to year 2.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

G-Mac did say that he was recruiting JG3 as a PG even though he was a SG in HS.  I think he would do fine there.  Although, I will say that Carey could and probably will make a huge jump from year 1 to year 2.

You know I love Cuse buddy and I absolutely can see Carey making a huge jump.. I’m just a little underwhelmed this year 

his handles and quickness are elite

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You know I love Cuse buddy and I absolutely can see Carey making a huge jump.. I’m just a little underwhelmed this year 

his handles and quickness are elite

I think the stage is just a little big for him right now.  He has the tools.  We shall see.  I’d be happy with JG3 playing PG next year if it pans out that way.

That said, I’m not 100% sure Tyus Battle goes pro after this season.  Every NBA scouting site I’ve looked at has him as a mid 2nd round pick.  Maybe he plays it smart and gets his degree?  I think Brissett is actually the better NBA prospect (based on ceiling).  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think the stage is just a little big for him right now.  He has the tools.  We shall see.  I’d be happy with JG3 playing PG next year if it pans out that way.

That said, I’m not 100% sure Tyus Battle goes pro after this season.  Every NBA scouting site I’ve looked at has him as a mid 2nd round pick.  Maybe he plays it smart and gets his degree?  I think Brissett is actually the better NBA prospect (based on ceiling).  Thoughts?

Tyus is a weird one... I know he isn’t getting mocked very high... but he always said it’s not about WHAT ROUND he was drafted... but having a long career 

he has been extremely clutch in his SU career and that will translate well to the pros... same with his ability to shoot off the dribble and finish with both hands

I think Brissett will be drafted when he declares but he needs to work on his finishing abilities 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Syracuse still trying to land a C/PF for the 2019 class.  Kind of late in the game, but Tre Mitchell would be a good commit.

https://cnycentral.com/sports/college/syracuse-basketball-offers-new-center-top-100-recruit

https://247sports.com/player/dimon-carrigan-46042909/

what do you know about the prospects of signing JC star Carrigan?

I didn't realize "Paschal Chukwu's future with the Orange questionable at best"....

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Syracuse still trying to land a C/PF for the 2019 class.  Kind of late in the game, but Tre Mitchell would be a good commit.

https://cnycentral.com/sports/college/syracuse-basketball-offers-new-center-top-100-recruit

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://247sports.com/player/dimon-carrigan-46042909/

what do you know about the prospects of signing JC star Carrigan?

From what I have been hearing, Dimon has an offer from Syracuse but is likely to commit to Houston.  That is the prevailing opinion as of right now, as Houston is throwing everything at him as if he were a 5* for some reason.

He’s extremely limited offensively.  I think he’s putting up a mere 3 or 4 ppg in JuCo.  I can’t imagine he would provide anything more than rebounding/shot blocking.  We can do better, IMO, with Braswell and JBA being in the fold already.  We desperately need a low post presence.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

From what I have been hearing, Dimon has an offer from Syracuse but is likely to commit to Houston.  That is the prevailing opinion as of right now, as Houston is throwing everything at him as if he were a 5* for some reason.

He’s extremely limited offensively.  I think he’s putting up a mere 3 or 4 ppg in JuCo.  I can’t imagine he would provide anything more than rebounding/shot blocking.  We can do better, IMO, with Braswell and JBA being in the fold already.  We desperately need a low post presence.

So he’s isnt a scorer? I assumed being the #1 JUCO PF he could put the rock in the net

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think both are poor NBA prospects but would easily take Battle over Brissett. I suppose Brissett might have a higher ceiling but he shows no signs of remotely approaching that so far. Hard to remember a guy with his size and athleticism that's so bad finishing at the rim. He's 6'8" and a tank and he finishes in traffic worse than most PGs do. To me, Brissett is not a draftable prospect right now; you could talk yourself into Battle with a 2nd round pick.

The biggest issue with Battle is that his offensive game is kinda outdated for the NBA; not a good 3 point shooter/has that hitch in his shot and he feasts on contested mid-range shots. On top of that, he doesn't have much of a chance to show his defensive abilities as part of the zone defense, he doesn't rebound, and he's still very much a work-in-progress as a passer. But all that said, there's at least hope that he's athletic enough to become a solid defender who can also get to the rim and finish (where he's among the best in the country I believe) and create his own jumper. Feels like if he can become a solid defender, he could have a role off the bench for someone. If Battle tests well athletically and shows a willingness to compete defensively, I think he has a chance to get himself drafted; Brissett seems like a disappointing longshot ala Tyler Roberson at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So he’s isnt a scorer? I assumed being the #1 JUCO PF he could put the rock in the net

Nope. He's just a bench player in JUCO and even extrapolating his stats out for a 40 minute per game role, he'd only be averaging 9 points and 12 rebounds and he's only shooting 47% from the field.

On the flipside, the JUCO he played for the year prior, he averaged 20 points and 18 rebounds per game while shooting a more respectable 55% from the field.

Even in high school, he wasn't known for his scoring ability; it was his defense that had people excited. I think he was statistically the best shot blocker in EYBL history (one of the big AAU circuits).

If we're looking for someone that can generate some offense as a big man, Tre Mitchell is much more of that type.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Nope. He's just a bench player in JUCO and even extrapolating his stats out for a 40 minute per game role, he'd only be averaging 9 points and 12 rebounds and he's only shooting 47% from the field.

On the flipside, the JUCO he played for the year prior, he averaged 20 points and 18 rebounds per game while shooting a more respectable 55% from the field.

Even in high school, he wasn't known for his scoring ability; it was his defense that had people excited. I think he was statistically the best shot blocker in EYBL history (one of the big AAU circuits).

If we're looking for someone that can generate some offense as a big man, Tre Mitchell is much more of that type.

Yea I know what the EYBL league is ...

I just figured he was a scorer which is what the Orange need down low

Edited by Buffalo716