Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm not saying that he's right or wrong, but I can guarantee you that Belichick agrees with him 

BS. Belichick, probably more than any other coach in the history of this league, has perfected the art of game planning and strategizing for specific opponents. At the same time, he has drafted criminals, brought in mercenary free agents, and generally has won with a constant roster churn around his QB. 

Belichick may “agree” with Sean if asked in public, but in no way do his actions over the past 16 years with NE support Sean’s “philosophy.” You’re dead wrong if you think so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not buying it. Talented players win games in combination with the right strategy in a good culture.

The Pats are known to have one of the worst cultures in the league. They win because of the talent they have.

Would you all say the teams with the best culture are?

GB

NO

Philly

NE

Pitt

Seems like every regime we have over the last 2 decades talks about culture, whatever that even means.

You know how to have a good culture within your organization? Winning consistently. It seems like it’s always the bad teams who constantly talk about changing their culture. Draft well, acquire talent and manage the cap. The winning will come and so will the culture.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What he is saying isnt wrong. You can come up with the greatest strategy to win and its useless if you dont have a culture/group that's willing to do what it takes to implement that strategy. The best coaches can convince their players, no matter what their talent levels are, that they are just as good as everyone else and can win too, they can get their players to run through a brick wall for them without questioning it. Talent alone doesnt win and neither does just strategy if the players dont have the proper attitude.

The way he worded it, and the fact that many are taking just snippets of the quote out of context dont help, bit the point is valid. How many times have you seen sports teams that look like all star teams fail when you think they should destroy everyone based on just the talent? If that was the case then championships would be bought by whomever could sign all the best players.....

12 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I think folks are simply misinterpreting his intentions. IMHO, to say that culture "trumps" strategy simply means all things being equal, a culture of a team-first mentality will be far more important in the long-term view of winning. In other words, strategy IS important and it needs it's due attention and talent acquisition is of course part of the strategy, BUT if you have a divisive culture or more individually focused approach, then the strategy won't be nearly as effective. 

Take one of Webster's definitions of "trumps": a decisive overriding factor or final resource https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trumps?src=search-dict-hed

If you take the above definition, it essentially says that when all else is decided, this final factor or "resource" will win the day or decide the outcome. IF you look at his quote in this context, then to me, he's absolutely right. And before we start arguing about what he meant, just consider the entirety of the quote that went on to insinuate that guys who don't buy in to the team first mentality, hurt the entire team as a whole and that mindset will lose games over time. 

Time will tell if McD is the right guy, but after making the playoffs (however they did it, they did it), and starting a Rookie with virtually no WRs to speak of, an aging RB, and a hodgepodge Offensive line, I'll give them through next year when the "culture" has been established, money spent and Draft picks for three years have been assigned. FWIW, it appears that they're doing a fairly good job of locating Drafted talent with Zay not yet showing his value and Allen still needing a lot more to prove. 

....fair assessment....nicely done........

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The Pats are known to have one of the worst cultures in the league. They win because of the talent they have.

Would you all say the teams with the best culture are?

GB

NO

Philly

NE

Pitt

Disagree about the Pat's and culture, the have 'the patriot way', if you dont come in and confirm to it, they discard you. It's why alot of players that have been issues with other teams in the past are able to come.in and not be an issue there.

He even said, they arent talking choir boys, this isn't  them looking for players who would leave the game to help an old lady across the street. The 'culture' they want is team players who care more about their team and winning then individual stats, and live for the game, not guys who live for the paycheck.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Seriously though, what is our identity as a franchise right now, fanbase excluded?

“Football culture” is not an identity. Every team has some semblance of their own idea of “football culture”, fine, but what are we going for within that “culture”?

All I see thus far is an ultra-conservative coach. What else stands out? 

50 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

I don't believe he is saying strategy isn't important, just that a good culture - a WINNING culture - can overcome strategy flaws or personnel differences within a game. Take a look at the Pats*...plug in player X, Y, Z who may not be the most talented and they still roll along because they have had a sustained system and winning culture. That's where McDermott wants the Bills to be, IMO. 

You're using a team that is notorious for preparing and scheming for everything.  Their culture comes from this preparation and their strategy. It's a bad analogy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Huh?

Water and food are important for person's survival, but you can survive longer without food.

Thus

Water is more important.

That doesn't mean food isn't also really important.

His statement doesn't mean strategy isn't important, just that culture is more important.

I think I'd agree.

Well I obviously disagree. Having hard working, team oriented guys is important, but not as important as strategic planning.

You can have all the good culture you want but if you are valuing it more than strategy, I think you are doomed. Strategy allows a business to respond to markets, or a team to respond to shifting dynamics within the league (in this case). If a business fails to strategize and respond to market changes, no amount of good culture will save it. Whereas, a business with poor culture can maintain success if they are aligned with market demands through strategic planning.

Edited by Buddy Hix

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That wasn't because of that talent. That was mostly due to extremely bad coaching or mediocre QB play or a combination of both. 

Look at the talent they've rid themselevs of. They are all on Super Bowl caliber teams. 

that was my point.  the bills had the talent, but the coaching staff couldn't produce a winning culture, proper strategy, etc.

it's hard to separate one from the other.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Disagree about the Pat's and culture, the have 'the patriot way', if you dont come in and confirm to it, they discard you. It's why alot of players that have been issues with other teams in the past are able to come.in and not be an issue there.

He even said, they arent talking choir boys, this isn't  them looking for players who would leave the game to help an old lady across the street. The 'culture' they want is team players who care more about their team and winning then individual stats, and live for the game, not guys who live for the paycheck.....

They win because they have Tom Brady. It starts and ends with him. Once Tom Brady retires they will stop winning. The pats by many ex players go there to win because they know they can.

Talent is the most important thing on the planet. Nate Peterman busts his ass everyday im sure, but he is awful. What he is saying is Having guys like Nate Paterman is the most important.