Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep there are two kinds......winning and losing.........that's what I've been told on TSW.?

Somehow I knew you'd come back.  You can't stand being told you might be in error on something, can you?

I figured you'd circle back, so here's a reference to types of organizational culture  Steve Jobs I think would fit within the Market oriented culture.  Focused on differentiation in the market with a desire for strong control on his part.  McDermott might be more on the left side on the graph with focus on internalization and integration. 

Yes, ultimately organizations either win or lose, doesn't matter if you're a football team, business, church, whatever.  Culture defines the personality of the organization and how leaders see as the right paths to become that winning organization.

I know this is more complex than you might want to acknowledge but the real world is composed of grays, and not just black and whites.

4orgculture

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Somehow I knew you'd come back.  You can't stand being told you might be in error on something, can you?

I figured you'd circle back, so here's a reference to types of organizational culture  Steve Jobs I think would fit within the Market oriented culture.  Focused on differentiation in the market with a desire for strong control on his part.  McDermott might be more on the left side on the graph with focus on internalization and integration. 

Yes, ultimately organizations either win or lose, doesn't matter if you're a football team, business, church, whatever.  Culture defines the personality of the organization and how leaders see as the right paths to become that winning organization.

I know this is more complex than you might want to acknowledge but the real world is composed of grays, and not just black and whites.

4orgculture

So I'm wrong to think that a company can be successful without good culture?     

That's the contention I was responding too...........and it's NOT that simple.    Lot's of grays.

I'm a believer in good culture on a football team but culture without difference makers will only get you to mediocrity and that absence of real success will ultimately undermine said culture.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So I'm wrong to think that a company can be successful without good culture?     

That's the contention I was responding too...........and it's NOT that simple.    Lot's of grays.

I'm a believer in good culture on a football team but culture without difference makers will only get you to mediocrity and that absence of real success will ultimately undermine said culture.

I don't know of a successfulculture that has not defined, and more importantly lived, its culture.  I know of many who claim a culture but the leaders did not follow it.  That's a sure sign of failure.

Successful company I meant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 3:55 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Again, McD speaks like he's been given the reigns to a collegiate program.  I think he really believes this to be the case.  I also think the Pegulas never signed up for a 10 year cultural experiment and things are going to reach a fever pitch in November if linemen are still colliding with each other on running plays and their highly-invested young QB is on the sideline wearing a cast... 

I don't see McDermott lasting through next season, unless things change drastically and soon.

Welp... we’ll see how culture does now...

Edited by Coach Tuesday