Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

It’s true and has been proven all over the place in sports. If everyone is t working together and holding up their piece all the talent doesn’t matter. Of course you need good players but you need the right players. If the Bills give McDermott 3 more years including this one I think we are going to be happy. 

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I think many fans on this board have a "vending machine mentality."  You see what's available, you put in your money, you push the button.  If the machine messes up, you beat and kick it.

Many fans also react to players like they are robots rather than flesh and blood human beings.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

No..  I said nothing like that.

EJ Manual has x amount of talent.  McDermott is saying he want a guy who play to his talent potential and even to try to exceed it.

He also says that a player NOT playing to his potential (x amount of talent) is not part of the "culture".

Now, IF Kelvin Benjamin is on this team next year then I will say that McDermott is a "liar" about his culture thus not deserving of his job.

So that being said, sorry dude if you can't see what he means.  Khalil Mack gives his all on the field......he is the perfect "culture" guy.

Except for Miller and Dawkins, the Bills OLers are bottom-level starters or career backups.   They are what they are and what they've always been.   Dawkins has taken a step backward after a decent rookie season playing beside Pro Bowler Richie Incognito instead of failed starter John Miller.   Intimating that they could be better if only they tried harder is just so much bull manure.  They simply aren't good enough to be better, no matter how hard they try.

3 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

in this case, culture is part of the strategy.

For anyone who's worked in a complex organization (at least one that functions competently), culture is always part of the strategy.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Except for Miller and Dawkins, the Bills OLers are bottom-level starters or career backups.   They are what they are and what they've always been.   Dawkins has taken a step backward after a decent rookie season playing beside Pro Bowler Richie Incognito instead of failed starter John Miller.   Intimating that they could be better if only they tried harder is just so much bull manure.  They simply aren't good enough to be better, no matter how hard they try.

You need talented players, but talent alone isn’t sufficient when building a team. Clearly we lack a critical mass of top players.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:
SAY IT LOUDER FOR THOSE IN BACK SEAN

Once they hit bottom the building can begin I guess. Or maybe they'll just stay there like the Sabres did. We'll see.

Edited by vincec

Anybody in a leadership role has had immensely talented people that don’t fall in line and eventually bring down the overall level of success. So yes, culture is critical. I would also say anybody worth a salt in a leadership role manages to save the majority of talent and or get a buy in, because ultimately not enough talent exists to just make everybody buy into what your selling. I’m indifferent to this quote. This is our regime and will be for some time and if you think this is bad try taking this roster and what few pieces we have added and convert it to a 3-4 or a new system. AKA the last 20 years of Bills football that cycles every 3 seasons. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

But what would you rather have Mahomes, or a great culture?

I have a science background.  Whenever I hear "great culture" this comes to mind.  I'd prefer Mahomes.

image.thumb.png.d966e5ffdb7330525da66cf32e911984.png

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Ducasse is at LG next to Dawkins.  Not that the same principle doesn't apply.

I don't know if I agree entirely about the bull manure, though.  At times, I would agree they "simply aren't good enough to be better" - they simply are getting beaten, or walked back into the QB.

But some of that is matchup - asking Mills (or worse, Lee) to block Clay Matthews 1:1, for example.  Not gonna happen.  Give that boy some help.

And some of it is scheme - our OL often seems confused, with two guys blocking 1 defender while another runs free.  Or they're being asked to cut block, which they can't seem to do effectively 8 times out of 10.

Those things could be improved, although the people who need to try harder are not the players, but the coaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

You don't have to buy it.  McDermott is right though.  He is building something special in Buffalo and when things get right, maybe we'll let fans like you crawl back on the bandwagon through the doggydoor

Is the price $5K?

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sorry no sale and you don't get to dfetermine anyone's fandom.

Yes I do get to "dfetermine."  You always are posting negative stuff.  You aren't a fan.  I'm sure like many you'll flock back to them when Coach gets things right.  But you will not be welcome.

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Football is a team sport. Part of building a winning culture is to assemble a group of players that compliment each other and can work together towards a common goal.

Now I get the problem!  We're apparently looking for a group of players that "politely congratulate or praise" each other instead of a a group of players that " add to (the team) in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect."

As the head coach he personally controls 2 things.  The culture and the strategy the team employs.  To say they run contradictory is pretty crazy.  To me this is one of the worst quotes I have ever heard a coach say.  This year needs to turn, and the light needs to be gleaming at the end of the tunnel for him to survive the season.

• Like (+1) 1