Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

Could care less what he says. All I care about is what he does. So far its been some good and some bad but it's only year 2. I dont know why some people need to hang onto soundbites and press conferences in order to get up in arms. Whatever. 

• Like (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I don't believe he is saying strategy isn't important, just that a good culture - a WINNING culture - can overcome strategy flaws or personnel differences within a game. Take a look at the Pats*...plug in player X, Y, Z who may not be the most talented and they still roll along because they have had a sustained system and winning culture. That's where McDermott wants the Bills to be, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 19
  • Thank you (+1) 5

it's a combo of both.  i know some people that really don't buy into the culture idea, but i do.  i'm not talking the bean/mcdermott culture specifically, but just in general rather.  if you have a winning culture, i think a lot of the other points begin to fall in line.  i wouldn't say it's more important that strategy, but it's the holy trinity of culture, talent, and strategy.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It's pretty evident we can't win with the lack of talent on this roster.   I'm going t wait and see what he and Beane do this offseason.  If they get linemen and wrs, improve the defense and get rid of Peterman in favor of an actual QB at backup them I'm still trusting the process.     

But the process better start protecting the QB better and catching the ball. 

• Like (+1) 4

I read this as... players should be accountable for their play on the field no matter their 'talent' level is deemed.

So in 2018 if its 3rd and 1yard on a meaningful play.  Linemen suit up, no excuses, do not care that the run game has been struggling... Go block and do your job to get the yard!

...even if this has a high likelyhood of failure, I feel like doing this in 2018 is what will build a winning culture.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

I don't believe he is saying strategy isn't important, just that a good culture - a WINNING culture - can overcome strategy flaws or personnel differences within a game. Take a look at the Pats*...plug in player X, Y, Z who may not be the most talented and they still roll along because they have had a sustained system and winning culture. That's where McDermott wants the Bills to be, IMO. 

So when we get blown out in 30% of games we play in with McDermott, this BS doesn't hold true. 

The Patriots have Tom !@#$ing Brady, that's the correct answer to your question. Belichick was a .500 coach (just like Rex) before Brady. They had a gang banging murderer on that team. Take that culture point and shove it where the sun don't shine. Hardwork and talent wins every single time, even if your an !@#$.

This dumbass philosophy is how you end up with Kevin Benjamin and not AB or OBJ. 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 2

I think what he was saying is a "football culture" breeds players who can execute a strategy.  Without a "football culture" which means work hard, study, earn the right to play, etc. every strategy will fail.  That was my take from watching the presser. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This quote is troublesome. Unit coaches should be teaching, communicating, and making sure things get accomplished.

They have to be more than culture change agents. Juan Castillo may be a great "culture" guy but he's a terrible coach managing an underperforming unit and it concerns me that accountability isn't a priority.

• Like (+1) 1