Mind numbing as to why Daboll isnt doing what McVay did with Goff last year

Big Turk

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Shady was given five touches and they put a goose egg on the scoreboard.

If you find it impossible to evaluate play calling in light of those two simple facts, then I don’t know how to help you.

We trailed the whole game and our QB played what might have been the worst game we've seen from a Bills QB over the past 20 years. 

Game flow is going to work against us all year. We have a terrible QB, no receivers, and a defense that gives up a ton of yards.

The OC was dealt a terrible hand. He's got practice squad calibre players at his disposal with zero play makers in the pass game. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

We trailed the whole game and our QB played what might have been the worst game we've seen from a Bills QB over the past 20 years. 

Game flow is going to work against us all year. We have a terrible QB, no receivers, and a defense that gives up a ton of yards.

The OC was dealt a terrible hand. He's got practice squad calibre players at his disposal with zero play makers in the pass game. 

It was 0-0 on the Bills’ second offensive possession when Daboll called three straight passing plays from inside the 5. With a raw rookie QB. Against a Mike Pettine defense (blitz-happy, vulnerable against the run).

Mind-boggling idiocy.

Just now, jrober38 said:

Baloney!  LeSean McCoy is one of the very best RBs, receivers in the league and this moron of an OC won't use him. Instead he keeps calling pass players to guys who can't get open, can't catch.

Stop making excuses for the OC & the run game coordinator/line coach as both suck big time. There is no cohesive protections schemes to allow Allen to do his job and so he gets sacked 7x. That's on the QB and the coaches too.

Just last year under Dennison the Bills run game was #4 in rush attempts, #6 in rushing yards. This year the Bills are 19th in rush attempts, 24th in rush yards. Yes the line stinks but they are not even attempting to run the ball very often with being 19th in attempts. 

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Bills drafted a crappy version of Ryan Mallet. At least Mallet played in the sec.

Jimmy Johnson always stated that if your going to draft someone from a mid tier conference. He better be dominant.

Serious question, why do you post here?

28 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

OK, but if we didn't, who'd be our starting QB? TT? Lamar Jackson (another rookie), Peterman? McMCarron? Not inspiring options....

My biggest worry was actually what I emboldened from the quoted post, "develop bad habits of feeling phantom pressure and reverting to poor mechanics." 

My comment about using draft capital has nothing to do with wanting a different starting QB, but simply making the case that if we were okay with spending that to get him, we should be equally mindful of the environment in which he is developing, and what habits he is forming. I don't care if you're Brady or Rodgers, every QB adapts naturally in addition to learning the game. While Allen is learning, he's also adapting to the play he is seeing, and with this offense, he isn't adapting to anything good worth building on long-term for the development project of a QB that he is.

Edited by ctk232

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I just dont get it. You have a raw QB who has problems with recognition, why wouldnt you get to the line so the D has to show their alignment and Daboll then has 10 or 12 seconds to talk through it with Allen? It did wonders for Goff. I mean he literally showed everyone how to do it with a young QB but nobody seems to follow suit.

Agreed, we need to simplify verbiage so we can get to the line in a hurry up offense and make adjustments. I don’t think Allen is there yet and I obviously don’t think our o-line is capable of making good calls at the point of attack. With our below average skill positions WE NEED TO GIVE DEFENSES MUCH LESS TIME TO ADJUST TO US. Find a way to hurry up and keep them on there toes that way.

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

It was 0-0 on the Bills’ second offensive possession when Daboll called three straight passing plays from inside the 5. With a raw rookie QB. Against a Mike Pettine defense (blitz-happy, vulnerable against the run).

Mind-boggling idiocy.

If the QB is the problem, find a new QB.

The Bills dealt Daboll this hand. They could have kept McCarron and had at least one QB on the roster with meaningful NFL experience. Instead they went with the teacher's pet Nate Peterman, and Allen, who collectively had two NFL starts under their belt. 

It's 2018. If you can't throw the ball confidently you're completely screwed. QBs are regularly throwing for 400 yards a game with multiple TDs, and we're trying to protect a QB who has mostly looked like a deer in the headlights since the 3rd preseason game. With the rule changes, the frequency of roughing the passer calls and defensive holding calls, there's practically no strategic reason to run the ball anymore because the pros for passing clearly outweigh the cons. Yet here we are trying to hide our QB. 

Management screwed this roster up so badly it's unbelievable. How on earth do you draft a complete project at QB and field a supporting offense that's completely devoid of NFL calibre talent in the pass game? Everyone on the offensive side of the football has been set up to fail by this team's personnel decisions over the past 20 months. This offense has no hope of being successful given who they're featuring at QB and at WR. 

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Serious question, why do you post here?

I like the Bills. I would like to see competition in the afce. I dont want the jets or dolphins to be good, but damn I havebeen following this team since Bledsoe and one way or another they mess it up.

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

If the QB is the problem, find a new QB.

The Bills dealt Daboll this hand. They could have kept McCarron and had at least one QB on the roster with meaningful NFL experience. Instead they went with the teacher's pet Nate Peterman, and Allen, who collectively had two NFL starts under their belt. 

It's 2018. If you can't throw the ball confidently you're completely screwed. QBs are regularly throwing for 400 yards a game with multiple TDs, and we're trying to protect a QB who has mostly looked like a deer in the headlights since the 3rd preseason game. With the rule changes, the frequency of roughing the passer calls and defensive holding calls, there's practically no strategic reason to run the ball anymore because the pros for passing clearly outweigh the cons. Yet here we are trying to hide our QB. 

Management screwed this roster up so badly it's unbelievable. How on earth do you draft a complete project at QB and field a supporting offense that's completely devoid of NFL calibre talent in the pass game? Everyone on the offensive side of the football has been set up to fail by this team's personnel decisions over the past 20 months. This offense has no hope of being successful given who they're featuring at QB and at WR. 

I don’t disagree with you about Allen. Obviously he was atrocious.

But it’s really hard to put 0 points on the board in 2018. For that to happen, multiple parties have to participate in the incompetence.

If I were to rank Sunday’s ineptitude, it would look like this...

1a. Allen

1b. Daboll

3. OLine

4. Receivers

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I just dont get it. You have a raw QB who has problems with recognition, why wouldnt you get to the line so the D has to show their alignment and Daboll then has 10 or 12 seconds to talk through it with Allen? It did wonders for Goff. I mean he literally showed everyone how to do it with a young QB but nobody seems to follow suit.

This is just inexcusable. Its one thing to teach him after the play and on film. Its another thing to help him diagnose and make the right decisions on the field so he can see and feel what it looks like to do that in real time.

This is just bad coaching. He needs help, you have the ability to help him and you choose not to. Why? What justification could he possibly have for not doing this?  Why aren't the Buffalo media all over McDermott and Daboll for not doing this with Allen? He needs it badly. He looks lost whenever they blitz and doesnt read it.

I like the way you think, sir.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

But it’s really hard to put 0 points on the board in 2018. For that to happen, multiple parties have to participate in the incompetence.

1a. Allen

1b. Daboll

3. OLine

4. Receivers

Agreed.

I'm mostly frustrated by Allen. I don't think he's going to be successful and since the Bengals preseason game I think he's looked mostly horrible. He was good against the Vikings in a really weird game, but otherwise he's looks awful. 

So far among starting QBs, he's dead last in total QBR (33rd), 30th in YPA, and 32nd in QB Rating.

He shouldn't be playing right now and is clearly not prepared to be a starting QB at this level, yet due to the decisions management made we have no other choice. I just don't see how this year is going to benefit him at all long term. All he's going to do is develop bad habits. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Bills drafted a crappy version of Ryan Mallet. At least Mallet played in the sec.

Jimmy Johnson always stated that if your going to draft someone from a mid tier conference. He better be dominant.

It might be a little early for this assessment.   Allen has the physical tools, which he proved in the Vikings game.  I'm in agreement with those that feel the development issues are on coaching, where the coaches should be helping Josh read what the defense is giving him and identifying potential blitz formations.  Daboll has mentioned that most of the sacks Allen has taken were not on the OLine; assuming this is true, I want to know what Daboll is doing to help Allen identify blitzes.  It doesn't appear to be much.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Ok but how is that relevant? If anything that should make it MORE crucial he does this not less.

What are you talking about? They dont run a hurry up to snap it, they run a hurry up to get to the line so the defense has to line up and Daboll could point out things to look at or his reads on the play.

The snap comes at the normal time when they do now.

so then you expect everyone to hold their stance for 20 more seconds EVERY play... lol okay careful next time you try to call out someone when you have no clue what you're talking about?

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Daboll threw Allen into the deep end of the pool. 

Then after he saw Allen flailing and splashing - nearly drowning - decided against throwing him a lifejacket and instead tossed an anchor on top of him which finished the job.

Giving Shady five total touches and allowing your raw rookie QB to drop back time after time against a Pettine defense with no adjustments is absolutely inexplicable.

It’s bad strategy.

McCoy should be getting 20+ touches a game and should be way more involved in the passing game. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jobot said:

so then you expect everyone to hold their stance for 20 more seconds EVERY play... lol okay careful next time you try to call out someone when you have no clue what you're talking about?

Haha, whatever. Go watch last years Ram games dumbass.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

This is just inexcusable. Its one thing to teach him after the play and on film. Its another thing to help him diagnose and make the right decisions on the field so he can see and feel what it looks like to do that in real time.

This is just bad coaching. He needs help, you have the ability to help him and you choose not to. Why? What justification could he possibly have for not doing this?  Why aren't the Buffalo media all over McDermott and Daboll for not doing this with Allen? He needs it badly. He looks lost whenever they blitz and doesnt read it.

[McVay in headset]

Okay, Goff, hand it off to one of the best backs in the league on this play.

Okay, it's second and five, throw a 19-yard swing pass to the best pass-catching back in the league.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I just don't know if DaBoll helping Allen would have the same positive results as McVay to Goff. I would think McDermott would be better equipped to break down the defenses faster than DaBoll. 

But I can agree that someone should be in Allen's ear helping him with seeing what the defense is giving him in real time. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

1a. Allen

1b. Daboll

3. OLine

4. Receivers

That is total horse ****

Why does the parts that have been CONSTANTLY bad end up at 3 and 4