Bills should try to trade for Amari Cooper, Raiders shopping him

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

He was an elite DT and you put up with that with that caliber player. He's a pain in the ass and you deal with it and there's no way in hell you can say weren't a better team without him

I guess - 10 sacks in 2014 and first team all-pro. He has like 6 since.  He missed half of 2016.  The first game of 2015.  And seemed to basically have a sore groin the entirety of his time here since 2014.  

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills need to acquire a WR who is not only capable of being a #1 but is a complete WR and has some experience in the NFL to help Allen. The Bills should also draft one relatively high with deep speed (2nd - 3rd ideally). I think Gruden is ripe to trade Cooper, who is eligible for the 5th year option and then  will want big money. The Raiders have shown they are willing to trade talent they feel can be replaced in the draft or cheaper. I believe the Bills will need to trade for and pay - perhaps overpay in this current climate- to obtain a real WR at this point. I would also look to obtain a FA WR who is more of a #2 guy that another team won’t want to pay - ie Tyler Boyd. May need to overpay a bit there too but this is what bad teams sometimes need to do to get talent (Jacksonville has done this over the last few years).  I would go into next year with Cooper, Boyd, Zay and a rookie as the top 4.

What would I give up for Cooper? A 3rd in 2020, 4th in 2019, Shaq Lawson. I saw rumblings that a just a 4th or 5th would get it done for the Raiders, maybe I’m overvaluing him but i don’t buy it. Gruden has been whining about fnding a pass rusher, Shaq is someone who he will have the ability to plug in  and determine if he’s a guy they want, and has a 5th year option they can use since they won’t have Cooper’s. Bills and Raiders would basically be swapping 2015 draft picks. 

The bottom line as I’ve said many times is that drafting a WR in the 1st is a crap shoot.  I think they need to take a OT or Pass rusher with their 1st pick. Cooper is a top 10 talent who has been successful, maybe he’s not elite but those guys aren’t going to be available via trade or FA. You won’t get a big time FA WR to come to Buffalo who has options. Going to need to trade for one who has the talent to be a #1 and overpay a bit. We saw they were willing to work the trade for KB, that has not worked out but they saw the need and got who they could. He will be gone at the end of this season. 

Thoughts? 

If he’s attainable at that price, it’s a win. 

Amazing how boom bust he is, but certainly unstoppable when he’s on. 

I’m hoping to get a couple strong #2’s in Free Agency so this would be a no-brainer for me and would give Josh a reliable playmaker this year.  

Amari Cooper and say Golden Tate, Donte Moncrief or Tyrell Williams in the offseason, then draft our #1 WR in the 1st Round.  

Keep Zay around and see if he can become anything in the slot.  

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I guess - 10 sacks in 2014 and first team all-pro. He has like 6 since.  He missed half of 2016.  The first game of 2015.  And seemed to basically have a sore groin the entirety of his time here since 2014.  

How did the rest of the defense perform with him or the field vs him not on the field?

Cooper is a solid option, obviously depending on compensation to the Raiders and contract-wise.  The only thing I have to add to Yolo is that the cash flow issues the Raiders have won’t be resolved before moving to Vegas so they may be more willing to trade him than if the move was a year earlier.  

18 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Elite? He's nothing more than a rotational DT at this point.

Interesting. He has a higher snap count average then Jerry Hughes and Kyle Williams. I don't know if they have him rush the passer at all, but his tackles and stuffs are on pace to his elite years in Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills need to acquire a WR who is not only capable of being a #1 but is a complete WR and has some experience in the NFL to help Allen. The Bills should also draft one relatively high with deep speed (2nd - 3rd ideally). I think Gruden is ripe to trade Cooper, who is eligible for the 5th year option and then  will want big money. The Raiders have shown they are willing to trade talent they feel can be replaced in the draft or cheaper. I believe the Bills will need to trade for and pay - perhaps overpay in this current climate- to obtain a real WR at this point. I would also look to obtain a FA WR who is more of a #2 guy that another team won’t want to pay - ie Tyler Boyd. May need to overpay a bit there too but this is what bad teams sometimes need to do to get talent (Jacksonville has done this over the last few years).  I would go into next year with Cooper, Boyd, Zay and a rookie as the top 4.

What would I give up for Cooper? A 3rd in 2020, 4th in 2019, Shaq Lawson. I saw rumblings that a just a 4th or 5th would get it done for the Raiders, maybe I’m overvaluing him but i don’t buy it. Gruden has been whining about fnding a pass rusher, Shaq is someone who he will have the ability to plug in  and determine if he’s a guy they want, and has a 5th year option they can use since they won’t have Cooper’s. Bills and Raiders would basically be swapping 2015 draft picks. 

The bottom line as I’ve said many times is that drafting a WR in the 1st is a crap shoot.  I think they need to take a OT or Pass rusher with their 1st pick. Cooper is a top 10 talent who has been successful, maybe he’s not elite but those guys aren’t going to be available via trade or FA. You won’t get a big time FA WR to come to Buffalo who has options. Going to need to trade for one who has the talent to be a #1 and overpay a bit. We saw they were willing to work the trade for KB, that has not worked out but they saw the need and got who they could. He will be gone at the end of this season. 

Thoughts? 

I'd like to see this just to see if Carr tweets, "No way," again.

32 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I believe they already did.

Got it. I got mixed up with thinking he and Shaq were drafted in the same year but Shaq was 2016. 

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Cooper is a solid option, obviously depending on compensation to the Raiders and contract-wise.  The only thing I have to add to Yolo is that the cash flow issues the Raiders have won’t be resolved before moving to Vegas so they may be more willing to trade him than if the move was a year earlier.  

Yeah I think that’s where some of the chatter comes from. Whether or not he’s “worth” (relative term in the nfl) a giant deal he’s going to want one. Someone will pay him, not sure Raiders can or will. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Elite? He's nothing more than a rotational DT at this point.

Jags defense went from good to championship level when they added him. We can't stop a nose bleed without him. But "character over talent", I guess

Thoughts? 

I've been thinking the same thing

There have been rumblings, but I don’t know. As i said I think the Bills should make the call and *try* to trade for him. I laid out why I think he could be available and why they should make the call. 

....2019 salary is about the same money they balked at paying Watkins.........

The Oakland Raiders announced April 23, 2018 they picked up the fifth-year option in Amari Cooper's rookie deal, which keeps the wide receiver under contract through the 2019 season.

The option will be worth a little over $13.9 million, which is based on Cooper's draft position of No. 4 overall in 2015.

13 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

How did the rest of the defense perform with him or the field vs him not on the field?

So we're going to pay a guy 100 million because he eats space?  He was paid to be a top 3 playmaking DT in the NFL.  To rush the passer, and to be a player you had to gameplan around.  He was not any of those things.  Good Riddance.

6 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Jags defense went from good to championship level when they added him. We can't stop a nose bleed without him. But "character over talent", I guess

They paid him 5 mil last year, and a little over 10 this year.  Those are reasonable numbers for a space eating NT/DT.  We traded him so that we could get half his dead money on the books for 2017 and eliminate his fully guaranteed 2018 base salary.  Saves Pegula some 15 million in cash. 

Edited by dneveu

I think trading for a WR is the only option that is feasible. I was listening to a segment on WGR the other day and they discussed the available free agent WRs for next year and the biggest name on the list was Kelvin Benjamin (lol). And it was also discussed that WR tends to be a position that takes a long time for the drafted player to get up to speed and be useful. If Allen is going to be successful, the Bills can't wait another 2-3 years for a decent WR corps, so trading seems to be the only option.

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

“The worst WR’s in Football history”

Welp, at least no one is overreacting. ?

Receivers were running wide open underneath all day on Sunday. No one is denying that the unit could use some upgrades but a shiny new WR1 isn’t going to miraculously give our rookie QB the gift of pocket presence and defense literacy.

Not sure why that’s overreacting.  I’d take Donald Jones and David Nelson over any of these guys.  Yes, Donald Jones and David Nelson. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I didn’t say there was a “report” they are exploring a trade. The Bills would make the call to initiate a trade. Teams do this daily. Many players are “available” at the right price. Some are not. He’s not an untouchable. 

Shaq Lawson is the cherry on top of an offer??  As  "pass rusher"?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

"I think Gruden is ripe to trade Cooper, who is eligible for the 5th year option and then  will want big money."

We will have the same problem, so why make the trade?

Because we need offensive talent and it’s difficult to obtain through the draft, atleast at WR. We have cap space for it now and hopefully have the QB of the future and need to build around him.