Drew Bledsoe Era

I lived in NE at the time and Bledsoe was done. The game was evolving and he was being left behind. He came to Buffalo and played 8 good games and then was atrocious. He had a losing record, less than 200 yards a game and as many turnovers as TDs. If people expected it to be different it’s because they werent paying attention to the player that Bledsoe had become. BB didn’t think twice about sending him to the Bills for a 1st. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I think it was his statue-esque performance, that may be the reason it didn't workout.

He couldn’t shake that desire to extend his statue stance for two more seconds under extreme pressure 

Bledsoe in Buffalo is a quintessential example of how a good/decent QB can be sabotaged when he doesn't have protection and targets.  It's why I've said repeatedly that the currrent Bills are setting up Josh Allen to fail because they haven't provided him with either protection or targets, just like the Bills did with Bledsoe.

In 2002, when Bledsoe had a decent OL and an excellent receiving corps (Eric Moulds, Peerless Price, Jay Reimersma, Larry Centers, etc) plus a decent running game, he threw for 4359 yards (breaking Kelly's record), 24 TDs, 15 INTs, and made the Pro Bowl.  After that first season, the Bills essentially dismantled their offense in order to build up their defense, and Bledsoe became a convenient scapegoat for the failure of the Bills organization to hire good coaches, draft well, and manage the cap ... pretty much what they've continued to do up to the present day.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Bledsoe in Buffalo is a quintessential example of how a good/decent QB can be sabotaged when he doesn't have protection and targets.  It's why I've said repeatedly that the currrent Bills are setting up Josh Allen to fail because they haven't provided him with either protection or targets, just like the Bills did with Bledsoe.

In 2002, when Bledsoe had a decent OL and an excellent receiving corps (Eric Moulds, Peerless Price, Jay Reimersma, Larry Centers, etc) plus a decent running game, he threw for 4359 yards (breaking Kelly's record), 24 TDs, 15 INTs, and made the Pro Bowl.  After that first season, the Bills essentially dismantled their offense in order to build up their defense, and Bledsoe became a convenient scapegoat for the failure of the Bills organization to hire good coaches, draft well, and manage the cap ... pretty much what they've continued to do up to the present day.

during those couple of years, i remembered they moved on from peerless, but also drafted mike williams to help the line, (which we all know how that turned out) but i honestly don't remember what other changes were made.

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I almost disagreed with you, until I stopped being lazy and read your second paragraph.  It's so hard to imagine a worse scenario for Beldsoe to succeed with the moves they pulled.  Drafting a solid tackle with the picks they had could have made all the difference.

33 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The problem is it wasn’t the 2002 season. It was half of the 2002 season. From week 9 on he averaged 212 yards a game, and his team was 3-5. He threw 8 TDs, was picked 10 times, sacked 24 times and lost 4 fumbles. He was right back to being the sub-par QB that he was prior to those 8 games. It wasn’t “everything but the 8 games was an aberration,” the 8 games were the aberration. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson