Illustration of just how tough it is to read coverages

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This isn't rocket science.  I guarantee you that if all I had to do all day was learn how to read a defense...I could do it.  

Could you simultaneously visualize your many reads and adjustments and options and protections for the play just called into your headset, recite it to the offense, then scan the moving and feigning defensive alignment, all while directing shifts and protections and whatnot over crowd noise AND anticipating the high-stakes, chaotic, violent blur that is a 3-6 second offensive snap?

Of course you could, right?

• Like (+1) 1

I watched the short vid.

all I took from it was some rando came off the left edge totally free for a sack and no one was close to being open.

idk what the hell warner or orlovosky or whatever the hell his name are talking about.

But to expect Allen to diagnose all of this in his 3rd ever start against an exotic defensive scheme, and make the correct audibles to adjust is a bit foolish.

• Like (+1) 2

Another glaring example of Daboll’s failure to help Allen figure things out. Pettine had shown that look several times previously and the least Daboll could have done was put a man in motion to help identify man or zone. It also looks like Daboll had no designed hot reads for his recievers vs. that look, either. Additionally, and I’m not sure if it’s because he doesn’t trust Allen enough, but it appears Allen has little authority to get in and out of plays when he sees certain things. They couldn’t have been surprised by that defensive look presnap given they’d seen it several times previously and to not give Allen the ability to change things up against it is just playing right into Pettines’s hand. Daboll mad it far too easy, especially for a good DC.

21 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I watched the short vid.

all I took from it was some rando came off the left edge totally free for a sack and no one was close to being open.

idk what the hell warner or orlovosky or whatever the hell his name are talking about.

But to expect Allen to diagnose all of this in his 3rd ever start against an exotic defensive scheme, and make the correct audibles to adjust is a bit foolish.

I don't know why we aren't doing what McVay did with Goff. Daboll should literally be feeding Josh Allen the defensive coverage before the radio feed goes off. Until it's against the rules we're missing out on a free advantage.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know why we aren't doing what McVay did with Goff. Daboll should literally be feeding Josh Allen the defensive coverage before the radio feed goes off. Until it's against the rules we're missing out on a free advantage.

Do they actually do that? 

Had no idea, but whatever it takes to win I guess.

I hate the patties but they do whatever it takes, no matter the cost. 

5 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Do they actually do that? 

Had no idea, but whatever it takes to win I guess.

I hate the patties but they do whatever it takes, no matter the cost. 

Yep and it's totally legal:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/nfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

McVay gets the Rams lined up quickly, leaving him enough time to assess the defense and call an audible (if necessary) before the play clock hits the 15-second mark. That’s when the headset communication between the coach and quarterback cuts off.

We saw a couple of examples of McVay working his pre-snap magic from the sideline against the Saints. Notice how McVay is still making calls with Goff at the line of scrimmage…

Goff relays McVay’s call to his teammates, and Todd Gurley finds himself wide open over the middle thanks to a great check by the coach.

McVay does it again on the next drive. This time for a touchdown…

You can see McVay making his initial call, eyeing the defense for a bit then calling in the audible. Goff makes the change at the line before throwing a touchdown pass.

God forbid NFL coaches actually try to make a quarterback’s job easier. Instead of complaining about the college set-up, the Rams’ 31-year-old head coach found a way to bring it to the NFL and make life for his quarterback so much easier. That’s what good coaches do.

And McVay’s team is scoring more than 30 points a game with this strategy. It will only be a matter of time before other coaches follow suit.

And by the way I hate that McVay does this. I think it should be against the rules. But since it isn't I am baffled that he's the only coach doing this. People call him an offensive genius for this but it seems to me he's just practicing basic common sense which for some reason eludes 99% of NFL coaches.

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep and it's totally legal:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/nfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

And by the way I hate that McVay does this. I think it should be against the rules. But since it isn't I am baffled that he's the only coach doing this. People call him an offensive genius for this but it seems to me he's just practicing basic common sense which for some reason eludes 99% of NFL coaches.

I dont reprimand him one bit for doing so, especially if it's within the rules.

McVay still has to study the other team's scheme thoroughly and catch it quickly on the field.

The dude is smart and quick-witted. It seems he's one of the very few who can pull this off. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This amazes me.  Credit where due: it's linked by 26Cornerblitz in the All-22 Coaches Film Reviews thread, but I'm bringing it up here to try for a wider read.

The high level summary:

1) 10-year NFL journeyman Dan Orlovsky critiques an Allen play as, essentially, Allen missing an obvious blitz read, Allen needs to improve.

2) Along comes 3x Superbowl QB, MVP winner, all pro Kurt Warner and says "wait a minute, I don't see it that way"

If you can watch Orlovsky's very convincing chalkboard critique and then read Kurt Warner's rebuttals and NOT get the flick on just how challenging it can be to diagnose a blitz pre-snap and know where to look first in the NFL, well, I just don't know what to say to you.

Of course all 3 of those guys to the right can blitz.  Where HaHa is playing is irrelevant.  This is classic Pettine/Rex.  Wth is Dan talking about? 

Allen got fooled.  Sure McCoy would be free if they all came from the right, but backs staying to block happens all the time.  The D is banking on Allen throwing into the disguised blitz on the right.  

The call from Allen at the line looks like he did think all 3 were coming from the right (which fools the best QBs), but he stared a tad too long not recognizing quick enough they pulled off-----he immediately should have looked left and hit the WR wide the heck open in the flat.

You want to throw INTO the blitz.  The D knows this and they goaded Josh; he looked away from it bc he got fooled. 

Just need reps.....gotta recognize quicker....the second he sees them drop back...instantly look the other way.  

Edited by Big Blitz

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m betting we’re both pretty smart. I’ll bet you drive all the time on crowded highways, at speeds you never thought possible, with cars darting in and out of lines, all the while listening to the radio, looking at a map, and having a conversation with other people in the car. Could you do it at first? No, but after a bit of repetition and practice you do it every day without even consciously giving it a second thought! Trust in The Force. ?

?Ok sure that's a good analogy. The speed you and the rest of the traffic around you are going definitely has a lot to do with your reaction time as you slowly meander around them.