Illustration of just how tough it is to read coverages

This isn't rocket science.  I guarantee you that if all I had to do all day was learn how to read a defense...I could do it.  The QB really only looks at a limited number of defensive players to take his read.  And the QB already knows what play he is trying to run, or the one or two options he can check to.  Not every play works every time....but with some amount of film and book study, Allen should be figure it out.

• Haha (+1) 1

...STILL sticking by Steve Young ( yup, HIM) saying it best...."more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level due to the speed and complexity of the game"........better show up with solid fundamentals as far as reads, progressions, etc.....planning on learning from scratch at this level rarely if ever pans out IMO...........

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This isn't rocket science.  I guarantee you that if all I had to do all day was learn how to read a defense...I could do it.  The QB really only looks at a limited number of defensive players to take his read.  And the QB already knows what play he is trying to run, or the one or two options he can check to.  Not every play works every time....but with some amount of film and book study, Allen should be figure it out.

I agree that Allen should figure it out.  You guaranteeing you could do it gave me a much needed laugh.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

What I meant was that not reading plays at the line is what Allen has been doing all along, and it's why scouts call him "raw" and "not ready" and "further behind other QBs in the draft class."  Of course you can see his college weaknesses and project them on the NFL

He doesn't process the game anywhere near the same level as, for example, Josh Rosen or Darnold, and it's why he was labeled a project, most scouts had him as a 3rd round project, and why I was pissed off the moment they announced we took Allen.  

You can play the "it's early" game now, and for a while to come.

Eventually you'll see he doesn't have it.  Hang in there.

You made sense until you said most scouts had him graded as a 3rd rounder.  I wasn't an Allen fan going into the draft but not one of us here has any clue where team scouts had him graded.

Oddly enough even the internet and tv "scouts" have changed their mind on where they had him graded depending on the week.  Last week he was clearly the most talented qb in the draft.  This week he was a raw prospect.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I thought it was pretty straight forward; the key is Allen should have known Shady would take a defender with him to the right side of the ball.  That leaves a mis-match on the left side of the ball, and that becomes the weak link in the protection.  Which is exactly how the play unfolded. 

But Allen doesn't look left at the most vulnerable area, b/c he's not reading the defense or thinking through the game of football on this level.  This is nothing new for him and one of his longstanding weaknesses.

This is what Tom Brady called, a few years ago, a "wasted play" meaning the play was over before it began because the QB didn't see what was about to happen.

The good/great QBs like Brady don't have wasted plays, or hardly any, b/c they have a very high football IQ and "see" what's going to happen pre-snap and adjust accordingly.

Remember, the QB has a huge advantage in that he knows what the offense is going to do and he has the ability to alter the play before it happens!  

The D is just reacting to what unfolds in front of them.

Defenses are not always just reacting. Sometimes they are attacking regardless of what the offensive play call is. They sometimes get burned because of it, and sometimes make big plays from it.

Also, offenses run option routes a lot, essentially reacting to what the defense does and changing routes. RPO is like that as well.

So there is a lot of acting and reacting on both sides of the ball.

Well it’s probable everybody is a little right here:

1. Allen was not a stand out player in college. He had 600 pass attempts in college, Baker Mayfield had 1,500. 

2. After listening to Beane describe why he took Allen, it sounded frankly like Doug Whaley and EJ Manuel. They loved his size and arm. They wanted their own Cam Newton. Beane specifically referenced “Cam Newton” by name in WGR interviews after the draft. Did he mention how Allen actually threw a football with accuracy? No. He was picked on potential, not production (Mahomes) or winning (Watson) or polish (Rosen). 

3. Offensive personnel is among the worst in the league. Bills have fringe/journeyman starting all over: Mills, Duccasse, Bodine, old Whaley leftovers: Clay, McCoy, and the worst set of WRs in the league. Zay Jones, #37 overall, is a bust. Ruben Foster is your #2 WR along with Andre Holmes. 

4. Not every analyst “hated” Josh Allen. But I think it is safe to say the consensus around him was that him succeeding would fly in the face of most analytics we have today to measure QBs. His overall accuracy was poor, his stats were pedestrian, he didn’t have a great record against anyone good in college. 

5. Your coach is Sean McDermott. The same guy who when hired said his offense has to be physical in the run game because we play in snowy Buffalo. Any shock more wasn’t done to help this offense? Time to raid practice squads. 

I’m not surprised. 

The Bills made a poop sandwich on offense and are now eating it. 3/4 games despite who plays QB the Bills can hardly pick up a first down. Now, with how much you invested in Allen (#12, #53, #56 and Glenn) and the pile of dead money you are eating this year, you have to go all in this coming offseason to see if he can be the answer. 

It would not not be shocking to me if Allen keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

My intuition while listening to Dan was basically what it turned out Kurt said. I don’t have any real knowledge of this stuff, but I questioned why Dan would make those assumptions. I will agree with Dan’s general point though, that Allen needs to have a plan pre-snap. I don’t think it is that complicated, but it will take time for him to learn. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree that Allen should figure it out.  You guaranteeing you could do it gave me a much needed laugh.

Old Man...there’s zero chance I could throw the ball like an NFL QB but I’m pretty sure both you and I could be taught how to read a defense!  Heck, almost everyone on here believes they can. Just read the All 22 thread each and every week.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Old Man...there’s zero chance I could throw the ball like an NFL QB but I’m pretty sure both you and I could be taught how to read a defense!  Heck, almost everyone on here believes they can. Just read the All 22 thread each and every week.

Steve Young says reading defenses is the biggest change guys go through coming into the pros.  I think I'll go with his thoughts on it

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Steve Young says reading defenses is the biggest change guys go through coming into the pros.  I think I'll go with his thoughts on it

You do realize that’s not the same thing as saying YOU couldn’t do it...right?  It just means it’s a new thing for college guys to learn.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You do realize that’s not the same thing as saying YOU couldn’t do it...right?  It just means it’s a new thing for college guys to learn.

Sure.  I'll bet you're pretty smart.  I've done pretty good academically myself.  I think we could look at film and figure it out.  But in a stadium with 50,000 hostile fans screaming? Large mean guys wanting to tear your head off a couple yards in front of you?  Moving around all over to try and confuse you? And about 20-30 seconds to figure out blocking, etc. and know exactly where to go with the ball?  Maybe not.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Sure.  I'll bet you're pretty smart.  I've done pretty good academically myself.  I think we could look at film and figure it out.  But in a stadium with 50,000 hostile fans screaming? Large mean guys wanting to tear your head off a couple yards in front of you?  Moving around all over to try and confuse you? And about 20-30 seconds to figure out blocking, etc. and know exactly where to go with the ball?  Maybe not.

I’m betting we’re both pretty smart. I’ll bet you drive all the time on crowded highways, at speeds you never thought possible, with cars darting in and out of lines, all the while listening to the radio, looking at a map, and having a conversation with other people in the car. Could you do it at first? No, but after a bit of repetition and practice you do it every day without even consciously giving it a second thought! Trust in The Force. ?

• Haha (+1) 2

Here we again with people projecting Allen will be a bust by inventing scouting reports or focusing on the few bad ones. From what *I* recall, he was projected from a 3r rounder all the way to be the VERY FIRST PICK. Some say he went down to 7th because of his "rap lyric tweets" that contained the N word that came up just before the draft, some "experts" saying the Bills made a steal. And overall, while his projected ranking was all over the place, a general consensus placed him among the top 4 QBs with Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen. 

So... none of us know if he will be a a star, journeyman or bust yet. But stop saying the scouts were seeing him so dimly when it clearly was not the case. He was seen as the most raw for sure but still projected to go very high by most. "Experts" often have it wrong anyway but overall he had a very good reputation coming in.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But isn’t the common thought that it’s easier than ever to play qb?  With the rules, lack of contact a defense can put on a qb, and a lot of similar college schemes, the league has never been more passer friendly. 

But that’s on the people who just drafted him.  They have made some terrible personnel moves. 

silly boy.
the transition for college  QBs is more dramatic than ever. maybe most intense position to develop. can go any way depending on a variety of circumstance. One of the traditional fears, and I  subscribe to it ,is a semblance of pass protection is key, Consistent  and repeatable. even if middling will develop a young QB well enough 

our line is often a box of chocolates. and we know what that means don't we ?

Allen has plenty of potential as long as he does not get killed. I mean actually killed on the field. he has the mindset and heart to will himself to success.

Edited by 3rdand12

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m betting we’re both pretty smart. I’ll bet you drive all the time on crowded highways, at speeds you never thought possible, with cars darting in and out of lines, all the while listening to the radio, looking at a map, and having a conversation with other people in the car. Could you do it at first? No, but after a bit of repetition and practice you do it every day without even consciously giving it a second thought! Trust in The Force. ?

imagine half of the other drivers were attempting to force you to crash or at least run off the road.  Now you have a better analogy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1