Would Buffalo Support an NBA Team?

15 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Not asking how realistic it would be to see Buffalo get awarded an NBA team. Just more curious if the city would support (IE Attendance, Merchanside, & TV numbers) an NBA team?

Buffalo can't support any more major league franchises because the region doesn't have the revenue to do so. But you do have a couple of pretty good college teams in the area.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem is the NBA is such a joke of a sporting league nowadays with all the marquee players finding ways to collaborate and up playing in the same market together.  Buffalo wouldn't have a shot to be competitive.  Even if they drafted some phenom as soon as that rookie deal's over he would off to play in LA or Miami.

Although I'm sure Buffalonians would be excited and supportive to have a basketball team, I think that BS would wear pretty thin on the WNY fanbase pretty fast and without a long, rich storied history of pro basketball in Buffalo I could see the average Western New Yorker losing interest fast in an NBA team here.  Not to say there aren't alot of basketball fans in WNY because there are but I just couldn't see this being a good idea with the state of today's NBA.  Just my two cents.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, tbarg12 said:

They supported the Braves until they went to San Diego and became the Clippers. 

I think Seattle would get a NBA team before Buffalo though unfortunately. 

actually recall the owner of the Celtics traded franchise thats how McAdoo ended up in Boston.  braves also seemed to have a full house

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

actually recall the owner of the Celtics traded franchise thats how McAdoo ended up in Boston.  braves also seemed to have a full house

image.thumb.png.531c0f27d3c1ad1e3a8c965b6256231a.png

That was interesting tidbit of information, did not know that until today. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

He actually got traded to the Knicks before the crazy trade of franchises............Unfortunately, they didn't have full houses - except for the really big games. 

I live in Virginia, never lived in Buffalo or anywhere outside of Virginia.  I ended up a Bills fan, and because of that, I’m a Sabres fan too.  If buffalo got a basketball team, I’d actually become a fan of them also.  I don’t know why I’m so tied to Buffalo, but I am.  I don’t like basketball at all, but I’d be a fan if buffalo got a team.  Same with MLB.  

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, wppete said:

I’m a Raptors fan. We the North! 

The Raptors should play a game in Buffalo just like the Bills did in Toronto. 

And, the Braves used to play games in Toronto, too. 

32 minutes ago, wppete said:

I’m a Raptors fan. We the North! 

The Raptors should play a game in Buffalo just like the Bills did in Toronto. 

I think that is the best overall solution to growing the NBA in Buffalo. The developmental league team for the Raptors should play here (if not the Arena, throw a court down in Harborcentre?  Then have the Raptors play an early season game in Buffalo (I think the Celtics still do that every year in Hartford.)

As for as a team in Buffalo by itself. No way. MAYBE if the Bills or Sabres were gone, some of that entertainment money could be shifted to an NBA team, but even then, I still don't think the support would be enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The problem is the NBA is such a joke of a sporting league nowadays with all the marquee players finding ways to collaborate and up playing in the same market together.  Buffalo wouldn't have a shot to be competitive.  Even if they drafted some phenom as soon as that rookie deal's over he would off to play in LA or Miami.

Although I'm sure Buffalonians would be excited and supportive to have a basketball team, I think that BS would wear pretty thin on the WNY fanbase pretty fast and without a long, rich storied history of pro basketball in Buffalo I could see the average Western New Yorker losing interest fast in an NBA team here.  Not to say there aren't alot of basketball fans in WNY because there are but I just couldn't see this being a good idea with the state of today's NBA.  Just my two cents.

Yeah no players in the NFL ever take pay cuts to sign with Super Bowl contenders. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, bbb said:

He actually got traded to the Knicks before the crazy trade of franchises............Unfortunately, they didn't have full houses - except for the really big games. 

For John Gianelli. I went to the home game the following day, it was ugly.

• Like (+1) 1

As a person who has lived in four cities with an NBA team (including now), it loses its allure really quick. NBA games are boring. They're slow. People are texting and talking among themselves in the crowd. Sure it's exciting when Lebron comes to town or Westbrook comes to town, but there are a lot more games where they don't come to town. Where it's just the Knicks or the Magic or the Bucks. Slogs in January that you have to get through. Be lucky we have hockey. It's the far superior 82-game spectator sport.

Edit: I forgot to add that they play music during play. It's so unsettling. Like manufactured fun. You need a guy on the mic say D  FENCE! And sound effect clapping. This should be organic.  

Edited by quinnearlysghost88
  • Like (+1) 1