Would Buffalo Support an NBA Team?

6 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Are you sure about this?  Seems I remember the Braves being on milk cartons.

I mean I wasn't even alive until about 13 years after their final season. I just knew Buffalo had an NBA team. 

11 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Are you sure about this?  Seems I remember the Braves being on milk cartons.

Fans supported the dismal expansion years, went crazy during the prime McAdoo Era, and correctly lost interest when all the talent was shipped away for nothing

Some crazy local things happened in a battle with Canisius and threats to move before they did.....

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Fans supported the dismal expansion years, went crazy during the prime McAdoo Era, and correctly lost interest when all the talent was shipped away for nothing

Some crazy local things happened in a battle with Canisius and threats to move before they did.....

So didn't they offer tickets or ticket discounts on milk cartons?   Maybe it wasn't milk cartons but something else.  I remember you could go to a game really cheap.

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

So didn't they offer tickets or ticket discounts on milk cartons?   Maybe it wasn't milk cartons but something else.  I remember you could go to a game really cheap.

The college game was huge in town, heading into the Braves years, a few major NBA talents played in Buffalo.

It sure hasn’t had that support since.

the last two Braves seasons were unmitigated disasters, with sparse crowds.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, bbb said:

This is today's news:

The executive committee meeting was the last hurdle before the final vote for NHL Seattle, the group bidding for an expansion team. On Sept. 24, the Seattle City Council unanimously approved a $700 million renovation of KeyArena, the current home of the WNBA's Seattle Storm and the former one of the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics, who relocated to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder in 2008.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-seattle-expansion-moves-closer-011533093.html

It really looks to me like they are going like 85%, whereas college players' body language is 100%

I always hate that take. I completely disagree with it. I watch a college game and all I see is sloppy crap all over. Bad fouls, poor rotations, missed open shots, bad dribbling. I really think it is more so that these guys are so skilled offensively that it makes it look like they aren't trying. They are also freak athletes. It comes easier to them. Don't get me wrong, I agree their are dud games as their is in every sport. The effort point I dont agree with. The atmosphere isn't the same either because you dont have 10,000 loaded kids screaming the whole game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I always hate that take. I completely disagree with it. I watch a college game and all I see is sloppy crap all over. Bad fouls, poor rotations, missed open shots, bad dribbling. I really think it is more so that these guys are so skilled offensively that it makes it look like they aren't trying. They are also freak athletes. It comes easier to them. Don't get me wrong, I agree their are dud games as their is in every sport. The effort point I dont agree with. The atmosphere isn't the same either because you dont have 10,000 loaded kids screaming the whole game.

But but but they slap the floor to show they are going to get serious on D in college....

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t really think that the Braves year’s are that relevant to this conversation. NBA Finals games were on tape delay at that time!! Now they average 20M viewers a night in the US alone!! It’s a totally different league. 

Some finals games were tape delay, it varied.

The Sonics-Bullets years were prime time, but the next two seasons the clinching game was tape delay for Magic playing center and Bird’s first title

Just now, row_33 said:

Some finals games were tape delay, it varied.

The Sonics-Bullets years were prime time, but the next two seasons the clinching game was tape delay for Magic playing center and Bird’s first title

That’s the point. The league was at an all-time low. Magic and Bird started to turn it and then Jordan and Stern raised it. Then we went through Shaq/Kobe to LeBron vs. the Warriors. The ascent of the NBA from the Braves years to now is unparalleled. The product has never been better or more desired than it is right now.

I’m not sure that today’s game is a fit in the rust belt. The Cavs (because of LeBron) became an anomaly (and he is from there). The lunch pail crowd isn’t a good fit with the most famous athletes in the world. Buffalo would support them because we are great sports fans. At the same time the game works much better in the Bay Area, NY, Miami, and LA. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s the point. The league was at an all-time low. Magic and Bird started to turn it and then Jordan and Stern raised it. Then we went through Shaq/Kobe to LeBron vs. the Warriors. The ascent of the NBA from the Braves years to now is unparalleled. The product has never been better or more desired than it is right now.

I’m not sure that today’s game is a fit in the rust belt. The Cavs (because of LeBron) became an anomaly (and he is from there). The lunch pail crowd isn’t a good fit with the most famous athletes in the world. Buffalo would support them because we are great sports fans. At the same time the game works much better in the Bay Area, NY, Miami, and LA. 

Channel 4 in Buffalo chose to push games to tape delay for some seasons, they may have been bitter about losing coverage of the Braves games.

They also chose to show the Dyngus Day Parade live into the 1990s and cut off CBS games from the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.

Had to visit friends who got the Erie CBS feed on those weekends

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm talking about effort and the appearance thereof.  When I watch it seems like guys don't even go after offensive rebounds until the fourth quarter.  So, many rebounds just seem to go to whoever is just standing under the basket. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, Greybeard said:

Yes.  Some milk company had coupons that you cut off the carton - and it was like $2-3 a ticket...................But, I also went to the May Day Sabres playoff game for $6.  I forgot what company had some similar thing, but it was that cheap. 

6 hours ago, bbb said:

I'm talking about effort and the appearance thereof.  When I watch it seems like guys don't even go after offensive rebounds until the fourth quarter.  So, many rebounds just seem to go to whoever is just standing under the basket. 

I get what you're saying. I used to agree with it, I just don't anymore. I do understand where you are coming from. I guess "hate" isn't the right word. I just disagree with it, I've always enjoyed the NBA though so I could be biased. I always watched both but I've actually grown into more of an NBA fan vs college.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I get what you're saying. I used to agree with it, I just don't anymore. I do understand where you are coming from. I guess "hate" isn't the right word. I just disagree with it, I've always enjoyed the NBA though so I could be biased. I always watched both but I've actually grown into more of an NBA fan vs college.

I was always more of a college fan. I loved Jordan but not really the NBA. The last 10 years has been a 180. The NBA is my favorite league now. It is just always so interesting. The balance of power can swing on one move. It always ends up good vs. evil as well and even that changes.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Realize I'm bringing back and old topic, but why doesn't anyone think Buffalo could have/support an NBA developmental team (GLeague team)

https://gleague.nba.com/

It might slowly but eventually turn into a full scale minor league system for each team.  Might it make sense for Buffalo to put a pitch in to be the team tied to the Raptors?  I know their current team is located in Mississaugua, not sure how they are doing regarding support and attendance.

Unless the NBA team was consistently very good like the Spurs I just don't see the NBA working in Buffalo. NBA players aren't attracted to cold weather cities (Outside of NYC) and small markets like Buffalo. A Buffalo NBA team would have a very hard time being competitive on a consistent basis and for a city that might have a limited fanbase to being with it probably is hard to build if there isn't consistent success. 

Overall I think Seattle and International expansion are much more likely places for the NBA to go.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Realize I'm bringing back and old topic, but why doesn't anyone think Buffalo could have/support an NBA developmental team (GLeague team)

https://gleague.nba.com/

It might slowly but eventually turn into a full scale minor league system for each team.  Might it make sense for Buffalo to put a pitch in to be the team tied to the Raptors?  I know their current team is located in Mississaugua, not sure how they are doing regarding support and attendance.

The NBA D-League is actually expanding to be a 1 to 1 farm system for the NBA, there is already 27 teams and they are expanding to 30. I could see something like that working in Buffalo as a cheap winter sports alternative.