Realistic trade option...Charles Clay?

Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Doubtful that a team would trade for Clay considering that contract. He will likely finish out this season with the Bills then we can finally get rid of the worst contract in the league.

I believe that Marcel's contract is the second worst in the league (Bills dead cap=$13,564,705), and Sammy Watkins's contract is the worst in the league which is the Chiefs's problem... the HIGHEST paid WR in the NFL.. LMAO!!!!!!

https://overthecap.com/player/sammy-watkins/2943/

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

I apologize in advance of this post for not having read a word from any post above. If we could get anything of substance for him, I’d take it. Clay is too expensive and there’s no way he’s here when we finally turn the corner. I like having a safety net for Allen, but I don’t think that’s really happening. Is it too soon to put Allen on IR for a bad clam sandwich (or a meal at Popeyes)? Save him for next year when maybe we can block and catch. 

OK, that was just a little gentle venting. It helps, I’m told. I will now return to semi-rational thinking. 

I would use Clay to try and grab Forrest Lamp from the Chargers. LA needs to go for it with Rivers getting older. Clay would be the perfect rental and a guy who is already familiar with Anthony Lynn. Lamp continues to be buried on the depth chart and is an asset that would help us short term, but more long term. He's coming off an injury so there is risk, but I think it would be a good risk to take. 

People all of this is quite simple. The Bills are in long term building mode now and should be looking to move any down-trending veteran that doesn't fit those long term plans.  With that said, the team should not be 'abused' in any deal.  They are neither desperate for cash or players in 2018.  But, it doesn't hurt to see what's out there.

I don’t understand all the criticism regarding Clay. I get he’s not an all-pro TE but the last few years besides McCoy, he is one of our most reliable receivers. IMO,  Clay is very low on the list of our offensive issues. RT, C, both OG’s, and the majority of our WR’s. Add in a struggling OC and it’s not much better than a collegiate offense! If you move Shady and Clay you might as well start Peterman the rest of the year and let Josh watch and learn!

This was another one of Whaley's blunders for what the Bills have put out as far as cash to Clay they haven't gotten that back in his play he has been very iffy player & then when he is what some seem him to be healthy he is very mediocre as a TE .

I have wondered why he has stuck around as long as he has, he's had knee problems but has never had any knee procedures to get anything fixed & year after year he has his knees screw up on him at one point or another during the season so i would hope they could get rid of him move on to some one else or bring back Nick Oleary !

At least that guy bailed the team out more than once & because he wasn't this great TE he was less looked upon as a threat in the passing game which was to his advantage i have never seen Clay come up with big plays to pull the team out of a deficit !! 

1 hour ago, T master said:

This was another one of Whaley's blunders for what the Bills have put out as far as cash to Clay they haven't gotten that back in his play he has been very iffy player & then when he is what some seem him to be healthy he is very mediocre as a TE .

I have wondered why he has stuck around as long as he has, he's had knee problems but has never had any knee procedures to get anything fixed & year after year he has his knees screw up on him at one point or another during the season so i would hope they could get rid of him move on to some one else or bring back Nick Oleary !

At least that guy bailed the team out more than once & because he wasn't this great TE he was less looked upon as a threat in the passing game which was to his advantage i have never seen Clay come up with big plays to pull the team out of a deficit !! 

The Clay hate is overblown. His contract is not ideal, but he was the best FA TE to hit the market since he's been signed.  He's our best receiver (not saying a lot).

Out of the FA TE's in recent years, here are some comparisons:

Jermaine Gresham - cap hit 1.8 M less than Clay this year

He had 322 yards in 14 games with the Cards last year. He currently has 1 catch for 9 yards on the year.  In 4 years with the Cards, he has 945 yards. For comparison, in 4 years with the Bills , Clay had almost double that at 1725 yards.

Trey Burton - cap hit $3M less than Clay this year

Last year, Burton had 248 yards in 15 games with the Eagles.  Last year, Clay had 558 yards in 13 games.

Eric Ebron - $2.25M cap hit less than Clay this year

574 yards in 16 games last year.  Again, Clay had 558 yards in 13 games last year.

So what are we really talking about here?  A extra million or two for a player who is far and away the best TE that has hit FA?  Folks, that the price of FA. Sometimes, you have to pay more to get a good player that other teams also want. The Clay contract problem is so overblown it's ridiculous.

Edited by BringBackOrton

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Even though Clay is overpaid and overguaranteed to hell, his contract is hardly cap prohibitive. He was the best FA TE on the market in the last 5 years.

That's because those "resident geniuses" knew it would actually cost the Bills $4.5M more to cut him than keep him in dead cap this year.

But hey, you called it (incorrectly) without doing a single second of research!

Actually, the discussion was about his abilities as a tight end. I said he was incredibly overrated and overpaid. Those geniuses told me otherwise. How would you appraise his time as a Bill?

5 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Actually, the discussion was about his abilities as a tight end. I said he was incredibly overrated and overpaid. Those geniuses told me otherwise. How would you appraise his time as a Bill?

Here you go.

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The Clay hate is overblown. His contract is not ideal, but he was the best FA TE to hit the market since he's been signed.  He's our best receiver (not saying a lot).

Out of the FA TE's in recent years, here are some comparisons:

Jermaine Gresham - cap hit 1.8 M less than Clay this year

He had 322 yards in 14 games with the Cards last year. He currently has 1 catch for 9 yards on the year.  In 4 years with the Cards, he has 945 yards. For comparison, in 4 years with the Bills , Clay had almost double that at 1725 yards.

Trey Burton - cap hit $3M less than Clay this year

Last year, Burton had 248 yards in 15 games with the Eagles.  Last year, Clay had 558 yards in 13 games.

Eric Ebron - $2.25M cap hit less than Clay this year

574 yards in 16 games last year.  Again, Clay had 558 yards in 13 games last year.

So what are we really talking about here?  A extra million or two for a player who is far and away the best TE that has hit FA?  Folks, that the price of FA. Sometimes, you have to pay more to get a good player that other teams also want. The Clay contract problem is so overblown it's ridiculous.

I guess you would've been happy with Gresham costing $1.8M less than Clay this year for 1 catch and 9 yards.  At least then, we wouldn't be overpaying for the overrated Clay!

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Both Seattle and Cincy lost their TE's for the season this weekend.  Both want to contend this year, so why not see if we can trade them Clay?  He is doing very little, I have always felt his effort varies widely form play to play, and I think its quite possible he won't be here next year anyway.  

I do realize, he is probably our best receiving option right now on this team since KB, ZJ, and the rest of the WRS suck...but I have also liked what little we have seen from Croom and think it won't matter much if we trade Clay since we are not getting much out of him anyway.  

I do think guys like McCoy, KB, and Shaq are also trade candidates before the deadline, but I think Clay is a guy that fills an urgent need right now on 2 teams looking to contend this year and his value would be at the highest this week for whatever we can get for him.

trade em all, this next draft makes or breaks this team, need to be as high as possible.