Realistic trade option...Charles Clay?

Alphadawg7

I think if we can trade EVERYONE with any talent it will really help Josh become a bust.  That would be great for our future since we all want a 0-16 season any year we cant win the superbowl cause we all know superbowls are won by #1 draft picks just like the Patriots have done for a decade. 

I understand the thought of trading away anyone with any value.  What I don’t understand is why people want this, but complain when we did that last year.  Clay isn’t Gronk, but he’s not bad.  McCoy has no real value.  And Benjamin, why would anyone want him?

3 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

I understand the thought of trading away anyone with any value.  What I don’t understand is why people want this, but complain when we did that last year.  Clay isn’t Gronk, but he’s not bad.  McCoy has no real value.  And Benjamin, why would anyone want him?

My reasoning on Clay is I don't believe he will be on the opening day roster in 2019.  I could be wrong, and if he is in the plans next year than I doubt they would trade him if they even had a chance too.  But I don't think he is a guy that fits what McD and Beane want as a player, he has no focus and questionable effort IMO.  And he is a guy that has underperformed to his ability his entire career and to his contract.  

So again, its not about getting rid of "talent", for me its rooted in my belief that I dont think he will be on the opening day roster in 2019 and would rather get something back for him now so we can have more ammo to make the moves we need to make in this draft.  Again, though, if Beane and McD see him as a guy moving forward, than they shouldn't trade him.  I just am highly skeptical he is that guy.  

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont disagree with this, I just dont believe Clay will be here next year...so rather than just cut him, I would be interested in getting more draft assets in this draft.  The more we have, the more ammo we have to move around the draft when opportunity arises like how Edmunds got to us.  Doesnt even have to be first round movement, we could use more picks to move up in other rounds to grab a guy they covet who may not last to our pick.  And if we dont trade, we could use all those picks to address holes.  

So, while I agree Clay is the best receiving option, he is also doing nothing for this team right now, so might as well get something for him if we can net a 5th for him IMO and get rid of his contract too.

I worry about the very real potential for long term PTSD/shell shock for Allen. It's happened to more than a few QBs who have been forced to play early on in abysmal offenses.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I worry about the very real potential for long term PTSD/shell shock for Allen. It's happened to more than a few QBs who have been forced to play early on in abysmal offenses.

Fair point

22 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

In a trade the other team would only be responsible for 4.5 million this year.

If cut next year, it would be a 4.5 million dead cap.

Not that bad.

...doesn't post June 1 designation spread it over two years?...............