Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Bills Fans

SoTier

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

No, I was a teenager then, I watched every game with my Dad. After 15 years of drought, family get togethers on Sunday eventually died down.

family get togethers should be independent of the bills.  start it back up.  we usually have dinner on sundays when the game is over.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

You just can’t let it get to you.  Focus on you’re family and work. I turned off too. In the 3rd quarter and I have the ticket as well. I just couldn’t watch it anymore.

i certainly hope we improve, but the is Allen’s year to. Develop.  As everyone knows, we have no line nor WR Corp.  we just have to hopeAllen learns from his mistakes.

i couldn't either.  i just was staring blankly at the tv wondering, "why in the world am i wasting my time with this".

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m really proud to be a Bills fan.  Let’s face it - it’s not for front runners, or anyone with a weak disposition.  It takes some guts.  Other fans of more successful teams mock us, but many of them would wilt with what we’ve been through.

We’re a bit like Cubs fans.  When we finally win it all, it will be a feeling like no other.  It will be something no young Pats fan can ever experience.

I love being a Bills fan.  It’s as much a part of who I am as anything else in my life.

• Like (+1) 4

Like many of us, I didn't pick the Bills. As soon as I was born at Children's Hospital in Buffalo, it was bestowed upon me. Native Buffalonians have many shortcomings, but loyalty isn't one of them. I haven't live in Buffalo in almost 30 years... have lived in all 4 time zones since leaving Western New York... and I'll root for the ****ty Bills and Sabres until I drop dead. It's just sort of a Buffalo thing. ?

Edited by October 1918
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

Like many of us, I didn't pick the Bills. As soon as I was born at Children's Hospital in Buffalo, it was bestowed upon me. Native Buffalonians have many shortcomings, but loyalty isn't one of them. I haven't live in Buffalo in almost 30 years... have lived in all 4 time zones since leaving Western New York... and I'll root for the ****ty Bills and Sabres until I drop dead. It's just sort of a Buffalo thing. ?

I’m still walking the streets of broadway and Bailey

and our Loyalty is exactly what makes us unique as Buffalonians and I will take that to my grave

my life also started at Children’s in Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have 5 failed decades of management....only the Polian decade was a success.  I would say that has to  change, but, we still have new ownership, and bad hires are still a possiblity.  Current management McD/Bean will get their three years (and paid for 4 or 5) but, if they don't deliver, it will be time for another three year cycle of firings.  Prior hire didn't last 2 full years with the Pegs.........?

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

OP, I understand where you are coming from. I'm 61 now & went to the old Rock Pile to see the Bills.

In my 30's, 40's, and early part of my 50's - I got too emotionally involved in the Bills when they always looked terrible (except the 90's Bills).

I've learned to let it go, to keep my sanity and stress level down. With the Packer's game Sunday, I actually turned off the game and watch some 1960's western movie.

The movie was very enjoyable.

It's amazing how things change. My Dad started taking me to games at the Rockpile. I have been a fan since their inception. Raising my son in Toledo, he has always been a Bills fan (he is 26).The memories I have throughout the years will always be with me, although we have seen some pathetic teams and coaches over the years.

About 20 years ago, my Dad made a simple statement after one of their ridiculous losses... "there is more to life than the Buffalo Bills". My 4 brothers and I have laughed over that expression for years.  I follow them, either attend games or watch on Directv but am no less of a fan if I stop watching one of their Barnum and Bailey performances. My son, brothers and I treat the Bills as a "family event" that we enjoy successes with and are disappointed when they play poorly.

My Dad passed away this summer and one of the things I will treasure will be the families  memories and sufferings of the Bills. Just remember "there is more to life than the Buffalo Bills".

56 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

I got suckered in as a kid because I grew up just around the bend (literally) from East Brady and JK's larger than life welcome to my town sign (see below for typical snowy, overcast winter's day there) piqued my interest in who he was and the team he played for. Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) they were so freaking good back then, it was easy to jump on the bandwagon, and my loyalty was forged (partially by having to endure the slings and arrows of being in Steeler country) forever to this day. Obviously I'm hanging on because the taste of JK/Bills success was so sweet (minus the excruciating SB losses), I need to feel that at least once more in my lifetime.

Jim Kelly â Kelly Tough â Fifteen Minutes Withâ¦

• Like (+1) 3

I never considered parental rearing to have any impact on being a fan.  For me it was more an accident of where I was born!  Can't change that and wouldn't want to.

Having lived in: DC., Chicago, Houston and Seattle, there's just no matching being a BILLS fan.  

Bills fans ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold
They'll give you a nameplate swapped jersey not diamonds or gold
Hooded parkas and double hand warmers and hope begin each fall Sunday
If you don't understand him and he don't die young
He'll probably cry each Monday

Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be Bills Fans

Don't let 'em cheer draft picks or custom wrap trucks

Let 'em watch soccer and tennis and such
Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be Bills Fans

'Cause they'll never be happy, they're always let down

Cheering the team that they love

(apologies to willie nelson)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was in Green Bay for the game over the weekend and was chatting with some locals who talked about the two decades of miserable football that followed the Lombardi years and how it looked hopeless for so long...and then some young punk wearing #4 came along and changed everything...they were just saying to hang in there because it can change very quickly and it will be so rewarding.  Just some outsider perspective I picked up over the weekend that I thought would be worth sharing here.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, teef said:

200w.webp?cid=3640f6095bb3a3fc4343576845

jesus.  people need to reflect on what really is important in life.  i'm 41 now.  if i'm 68 and let the bills bother me this much, i'm killing myself.

Word, if anything, I'm LESS invested in outcomes than I was when I was young. I did tell my kid to root for the Eagles, though.

4 hours ago, teef said:

also for the record, i have a 3 yr old daughter, and a 4 month old son. both will be brought up to be bills fans.  both will also be raised as emotionally stable, successful adults, that don't let a pro team, of which they have no control, effect their lives in any way.  

How do you know that?