Who hates the 10 minute OT?

Overtime  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the 10minute OT?

2. 2. Do you want the old OT with 2 quarters?

3. 3. Do you want something else? Specify in the comments.

I want the old OT back.

Edit: I like this better - both teams start at the 5 yd line , get four downs to score, last team to score wins. If neither team scores they get a new set of downs.

(No extra points or field goals, just TDs)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

A game should never end in a tie

It doesn't really bother me, but the frequency it is happening at if it continues is too much in my opinion.

I love college football's OT. I really don't understand why they haven't adopted that. I think it is the best system.

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't mind the idea, but the American sports fan will never go for it. We have some weird reaction to them. 

I am not sure it would lead to more ties. A 16 game season punishes ties almost as much as it punishes defeats if anything it would force a team driving down the field at the end of normal time down by 3 not to settle for a field goal.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure it would lead to more ties. A 16 game season punishes ties almost as much as it punishes defeats if anything it would force a team driving down the field at the end of normal time down by 3 not to settle for a field goal.

Fair enough. I haven't really thought that through. I just meant to point out that people are totally averse to them over here, unreasonably so in my opinion. So that the possibility of a tie in regulation is enough to prevent them from scrapping OT all together.

Just my view on it.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Fair enough. I haven't really thought that through. I just meant to point out that people are totally averse to them over here, unreasonably so in my opinion. So that the possibility of a tie in regulation is enough to prevent them from scrapping OT all together.

Just my view on it.

I agree it won’t happen because of the perceived higher risk of ties. I just think that wouldn’t be the reality. The 10 minute overtime is not the answer that is for sure. It basically allows for one drive each. If it goes FG, FG how does it help.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It doesn't really bother me, but the frequency it is happening at if it continues is too much in my opinion.

I love college football's OT. I really don't understand why they haven't adopted that. I think it is the best system.

I like it too.  If the NFL goes to it, it may be a while.  Look how long they took to add the 2 pt conversion even though the AFL had it and college football did for many years.

Almost seems like if it wasn’t their original idea, the NFL owners are reluctant to accept it.  Pompous egotistical $&@“#£s!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I like it too.  If the NFL goes to it, it may be a while.  Look how long they took to add the 2 pt conversion even though the AFL had it and college football did for many years.

Almost seems like if it wasn’t their original idea, the NFL owners are reluctant to accept it.  Pompous egotistical $&@“#£s!!

Completely agree. I think that's the issue too.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Bill Simmons suggested no punts and first score wins.  That would make OT quicker and each coach who wins the coin toss would have to ask themselves do they trust their offense or defense more?

I would like this, if it also meant no field goals as well.