Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

On 11/21/2018 at 5:56 PM, Bad Things said:

Two weeks ago, I was doing a subdivision inspection where my coworker got his finger tip ripped off by a manhole lid.  (The lid came crashing down on his hand.)

It was friggin' awful!

I amputated half my thumb on a machine - but that sounds way more painful! 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, plenzmd1 said:

Lot more of those stories..by the time we got to high school we were best friends. 

He hasn't made you his medical proxy, has he?...

Seeing the thread rise to the top gave me cause to consider posting 'I dropped a liverwurst on my bare foot' ('worst' injury you've ever had), but there's too many cringe inducing examples of painful true incidents.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

On 11/21/2018 at 5:56 PM, Bad Things said:

Two weeks ago, I was doing a subdivision inspection where my coworker got his finger tip ripped off by a manhole lid.  (The lid came crashing down on his hand.)

It was friggin' awful!

I actually wrote about that happening to me earlier in this thread.  Happened in September.  Let me just say I feel awful for your coworker because that is brutal.  Didn’t rip off any part of my finger, but it ripped the skin, requiring stitches on both sides of my middle finger and one side of my index finger.  Fingernails fell off about a month ago (nearly 1.5 months after injury).  They are slowly coming back.  I think my nail bed is somewhat damaged, but it’s nothing I would consider fixing unless it somehow causes pain later.

53 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

I actually wrote about that happening to me earlier in this thread.  Happened in September.  Let me just say I feel awful for your coworker because that is brutal.  Didn’t rip off any part of my finger, but it ripped the skin, requiring stitches on both sides of my middle finger and one side of my index finger.  Fingernails fell off about a month ago (nearly 1.5 months after injury).  They are slowly coming back.  I think my nail bed is somewhat damaged, but it’s nothing I would consider fixing unless it somehow causes pain later.

@ work we have machine pits, covers, sumps that have to be checked daily.  Also catching lines from vessels.  Lots of "pinch points." 

Should have one of these or similar.  Easy to make too... Bend some bar, etc...

DDD14FD2-CFB1-4716-8B70-484BE5C9ACB2_7.j

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@ work we have machine pits, covers, sumps that have to be checked daily.  Also catching lines from vessels.  Lots of "pinch points." 

I had a standard crowbar.  Unfortunately, it’s a drainage tank that was blocked, and I was by myself.  Instead of hooking one end of the manhole cover and trying to pull it up, I put the crowbar in, raised it up enough to get my fingers in (done that many times before), and as soon as I went to lift up, the crowbar shifted and the cover came slamming down on my fingers.  It was a pain I can’t even describe.

• Sad 1

I’ve had some pretty bad ones (stabbing, hit by car, fractured orbital, etc...). The worst injury ever though came in a car accident. I fractured my pelvis, the door went through my side and broke my hip. I was paralyzed from the waist down for about 10 days. That was the weirdest feeling. It’s been almost 11 years and I still pay the price.

• Sad 2

On 11/23/2018 at 10:54 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve had some pretty bad ones (stabbing, hit by car, fractured orbital, etc...). The worst injury ever though came in a car accident. I fractured my pelvis, the door went through my side and broke my hip. I was paralyzed from the waist down for about 10 days. That was the weirdest feeling. It’s been almost 11 years and I still pay the price.

Could you elaborate on the stabbing? Did you try to pay your gambling debt to your local bookie with bitcoins? 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Could you elaborate on the stabbing? Did you try to pay your gambling debt to your local bookie with bitcoins? 

I wish that it was that easy. Long story short, some crazy guy ended up at a party in my house at college. I threw the guy out after he punched 2 random guys in the face, I got punched in the head and all hell broke loose.

That guy is now in jail on murder charges and a hate crime. He got into a racial war And hit a guy over the head with a bat (he did that at my house too). He was also the prime suspect in a murder where a guy got killed with a hatchet. I have no idea how that ended (despite my grand jury testimony) but think he’s in trouble. Last I heard he was serving like 25+ years from the hate crime. 

I google the guy every so often to see what he made of himself but don’t get too far.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wish that it was that easy. Long story short, some crazy guy ended up at a party in my house at college. I threw the guy out after he punched 2 random guys in the face, I got punched in the head and all hell broke loose.

That guy is now in jail on murder charges and a hate crime. He got into a racial war And hit a guy over the head with a bat (he did that at my house too). He was also the prime suspect in a murder where a guy got killed with a hatchet. I have no idea how that ended (despite my grand jury testimony) but think he’s in trouble. Last I heard he was serving like 25+ years from the hate crime. 

I google the guy every so often to see what he made of himself but don’t get too far.

You are lucky that you are not dead. There are so many people who are filled with a raging hate and are ready to explode. You could for no good reason be a casualty just for looking at a person. If I get cut off on the road or someone honks at me I just let it go because I know there are so many volatile violent people out there.  

On 11/23/2018 at 8:21 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Seeing the thread rise to the top gave me cause to consider posting 'I dropped a liverwurst on my bare foot' ('worst' injury you've ever had), but there's too many cringe inducing examples of painful true incidents.

?

On 11/23/2018 at 9:01 AM, billsfan5121 said:

If you hadn't been stealing the covers for scrap this wouldn't have happened.  I hope you learned your lesson young man.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:02 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Or you could just buy one that's actually made for the job.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:28 AM, billsfan5121 said:

I had a standard crowbar.  Unfortunately, it’s a drainage tank that was blocked, and I was by myself.  Instead of hooking one end of the manhole cover and trying to pull it up, I put the crowbar in, raised it up enough to get my fingers in (done that many times before), and as soon as I went to lift up, the crowbar shifted and the cover came slamming down on my fingers.  It was a pain I can’t even describe.

made me cringe...glad it's healing up.

• Haha (+1) 1