Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

not much really works outside of pure oxygen. and that has just recently been realized as a help..

I went a good 4 years with these things before a doc finally understood and diagnosed them. Brain scans, dentist trips, allergy tests..no one knew what the fug they were. it sucked as I would get them at 2PM, 8pm and 2 am..on the same minute, every day for about a month staright ...nothing to do but endure them. By far the worst pain i have ever experienced.

Wow, glad to hear you got answers.

Has anyone reference a good old fashioned whack in the family jewels in this thread?

I'm not sure I'd call it the "worst injury I've ever had" but a really solid shot to the nut sack is probably as much pain as someone can experience.

When I was a young kid, I got on an adult "3 speed" men's bicycle that had the "men's" horizontal bar between handlebars and seat; you know what I mean.  I was way too small for the bike and couldn't really control it.  I was standing on the pedals and cranking really hard.

My foot slipped off the pedal on the down crank and that made me sort of fall off both pedals.  If the bike had fit me, my feet would have hit the ground and I probably would have been OK.  Instead, my balls hit that bar on the bike frame before my feet hit the ground, and I was crippled with pain for what seemed like an eternity.

How bad did it hurt?  Well, bad enough that I still remember the incident, the bike color and details, etc., quite well now, probably just about 40 years later.

:(

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Has anyone reference a good old fashioned whack in the family jewels in this thread?

I'm not sure I'd call it the "worst injury I've ever had" but a really solid shot to the nut sack is probably as much pain as someone can experience.

When I was a young kid, I got on an adult "3 speed" men's bicycle that had the "men's" horizontal bar between handlebars and seat; you know what I mean.  I was way too small for the bike and couldn't really control it.  I was standing on the pedals and cranking really hard.

My foot slipped off the pedal on the down crank and that made me sort of fall off both pedals.  If the bike had fit me, my feet would have hit the ground and I probably would have been OK.  Instead, my balls hit that bar on the bike frame before my feet hit the ground, and I was crippled with pain for what seemed like an eternity.

How bad did it hurt?  Well, bad enough that I still remember the incident, the bike color and details, etc., quite well now, probably just about 40 years later.

can you die from this?  i think you can go insane or mentally handicapped.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

can you die from this?  i think you can go insane or mentally handicapped.

The pain associated with a really solid whack to the nuts is bad enough to make you want to die, at least for a little while.

It's similar to really getting the wind knocked out of you, especially if you are young and don't understand what's just happened to you.

One time while playing tackle football with a bunch of friends, maybe at age 10, I got tackled and fell on the football; it hit me in the chest just right to totally knock the wind out of me.

Couldn't breathe; I remember like 4 kids standing over me wondering if I was going to die; I couldn't breathe, talk...and for a moment there, death would have been preferential to that feeling!

Still remember that one well.

Also got beamed with a baseball during a game while running from 1st to 2nd base.  Ball hit me in the BACK and that also knocked the wind out of me really badly.  

Ah, the good old days.

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yup, been there, done that, and as far as pain goes it ranks high on the all time list.

Speaking of bikes I somehow got my toes caught between another bikers sprocket and chain while we were going down a paved hill full speed and it ended badly.

I did manage to keep all my toes so for that I am thankful

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

Yup, been there, done that, and as far as pain goes it ranks high on the all time list.

Speaking of bikes I somehow got my toes caught between another bikers sprocket and chain while we were going down a paved hill full speed and it ended badly.

I did manage to keep all my toes so for that I am thankful

I was in a bad car accident last year.....T boned deliveing pizza at 11:00 at night......im driving a chevy cruz....she was driving a big SUV and was trying to beat the light at a 4 way intersection

Concussion...knocked out....arm broken in 2 places......but I am lucky to be alive because while I was knocked out I had my foot on the gas and ran straight into a fire hydrant that pushed the engine of the car into the car and right beside me.....a little more to the left and it would have crushed me.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The pain associated with a really solid whack to the nuts is bad enough to make you want to die, at least for a little while.

It's similar to really getting the wind knocked out of you, especially if you are young and don't understand what's just happened to you.

One time while playing tackle football with a bunch of friends, maybe at age 10, I got tackled and fell on the football; it hit me in the chest just right to totally knock the wind out of me.

Couldn't breathe; I remember like 4 kids standing over me wondering if I was going to die; I couldn't breathe, talk...and for a moment there, death would have been preferential to that feeling!

Still remember that one well.

Also got beamed with a baseball during a game while running from 1st to 2nd base.  Ball hit me in the BACK and that also knocked the wind out of me really badly.  

Ah, the good old days.

worst direct pain was playing tag near an inground pool and jumping in backwards to avoid being "it"

but i hit my right knee directly on the cement siding and felt all the life force drain out of me

On 10/16/2018 at 7:36 PM, plenzmd1 said:

not much really works outside of pure oxygen. and that has just recently been realized as a help..

I went a good 4 years with these things before a doc finally understood and diagnosed them. Brain scans, dentist trips, allergy tests..no one knew what the fug they were. it sucked as I would get them at 2PM, 8pm and 2 am..on the same minute, every day for about a month staright ...nothing to do but endure them. By far the worst pain i have ever experienced.

I’m sure not as bad, but I had a crippling pain about the size of a quarter on the back right quadrant of my head. This is about 20 years ago, and we tried everything to understand it. Neurologist, ophthalmologist, allergist, emergency room for CT Scan, etc. Nobody had an answer, but they were quick to drug you up to mask it. The drugs had me sitting on the restroom floor at the bank, just in case I vomited, and certainly incapable of functioning at work. 

Finally a neighbor suggested I try her massage guy who helped her after a car accident. This guy fixed me in a few weeks! Hurt like hell, though! Turns out my traps (esp on the right side) were too tight from tennis (serving) not allowing blood flow up the neck and into the lower skull. Sure, you could blame lots of other stuff on my lack of blood to the brain, but this one hurt ME! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

coma

game/set/match

31 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Fail 

death ? 

game/set/match 

?

I had no pulse and no pain at one point.  Where does that rank?

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I had no pulse and no pain at one point.  Where does that rank?

Damn.   Up there I imagine 

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Nope and very sketchy coming out.  The first thing I remember was thinking that I was in a hospital on a tropical island.

Damn. (Again) 

I see things turned out ok.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2018 at 5:04 AM, Uncle Joe said:

It's something that stays embedded in the memory bank. I broke my tibia and fibula in the wilderness 4 years ago. When I had a buddy on the radio he asked, "How bad is it?'
I said "Think Joe Theisman". No more questions were needed.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:49 AM, Mr Info said:

Tough break...literally. How old were you when it happened and how long until you recovered? Hopefully, you recovered ok.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:39 AM, Uncle Joe said:

Thanks for your concern..
I was 58 at the time. I now have a titanium rod in my tibia and plate and screws in my fibula. It's quite the story and I should probably tell it in Off The Wall since this thread is about Alex Smith and Joe Theismann.

@OldTimeAFLGuy
So here is my story and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

So I had been hunting in NE Oregon for elk ever since high school and never shot an elk. I called it hiking with gun. I enjoyed the outdoors and time with family as much as anything. In 2014 I finally drew another big bull tag for the wilderness unit after a 14 year wait. For sure my luck would be better this time. Unfortunately, it wasn’t. On the 2nd day of the hunt we spotted a 6x7 elk at the bottom of the canyon down by the river. On the 1st descent I rolled my ankle on some wet bark. No biggie, I had rolled my ankle numerous times playing basketball (looking back, I probably had stress fracture of the fibula). Almost to the bottom of the canyon we noticed we had gone past the elk. So back up the mountainside and back down we went. This time we were within within 550 yards of the bull. Not wanting to lob bullets at this animal and take the chance of only wounding it we tried to get closer. So up the hillside again and back down for the 3rd time. As I went down to get a better shot, I fell after putting all my weight on my right leg on a steep descent. I heard the sound of breaking glass. “Oh, ***** I broke my scope” I thought “now how am I going to shoot this elk?” So, I looked at my rifle and the scope was fine. Then I looked at my leg and it had broken. I got on the radio and the hunt has now turned into a rescue operation. This happened at about noon. I got to spend the afternoon in the rain and the night in freezing temperatures under the shelter of my “bat cave” with a warming fire. Two Search and Rescue Volunteers showed up at about 7pm and spent the night looking over me.  About an hour after first light the rope team got me up to a flat spot where I could be airlifted out of the wilderness. Around noon (24 hours later) the Blackhawk helicopter arrived from Salem to airlift me off the mountain. They dropped me off at the nearest hospital and x-rays it showed I had broken my tibia and fibula. Two Life Flight helicopter rides later I was at a trauma hospital in Portland. 48 hours after my fall I had my first surgery on Veteran’s Day. I got a plate and screws in my fibula but due to length of time since the original injury I had developed a significant fracture blister near the break in my tibia. The risk of infection was too high, so I got a temporary x-fix on the tibia, Then a second surgery a couple weeks later before Thanksgiving to remove the hardware and insert a titanium rod in my tibia.

As for pain I survived the first night on ibuprofen and never went into shock. Had it been a compound break that might have be different.
Now I deal with all the metal in my leg and the all the weather changes which was expected. However, despite the PT I had after surgery, my hip is starting to give me issues. Most likely from compensating for my leg injury.

So all I can say is be thankful for all that you have tomorrow on Thanksgiving,

Life if short and can change in an instant.