Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

20 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So basically a bunch of ol people talking about their lombago? Bunch of snowflakes, I’m cripple and you don’t see me complaining.

Wait - that seems like you're complaining!  ?

On 10/15/2018 at 9:44 AM, row_33 said:

In honour of this wonderful weather I’m home with a bad migraine today. I don’t get bad pain mostly, but brilliant auras and a draining of all will and the good things of life.

oh brother, you are onto something I forget. I know we have other users here who gave had cluster headaches..otherwise known as suicide headaches as people have killed themselves to get out of the pain. I experienced them for about 14 years from about age 32 to 46...have had only slight ones since.It was  usually a month in the spring, a month in the fall, same times everyday. Always same spot in head..and truly amazing how we all dealt with the pain in the same manner..by literally banging your head on your head on a wood floor from extended childs pose...always remember my daughter waking up about age 8 cause I was causing so much noise banging my head on the floor..and her shear look of terror. 

And the left side of face hurting for the entire timeframe of the attacks..

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2122-suicide-headaches-5-realities-worst-thing-ever.html

• Sad 1

Same as a few others have mentioned. Partial tear of a rotator cuff tendon, combined with frozen shoulder. I have been going through PT and injections, but it did not work. I get the surgery November 2.

25 minutes ago, KRC said:

Same as a few others have mentioned. Partial tear of a rotator cuff tendon, combined with frozen shoulder. I have been going through PT and injections, but it did not work. I get the surgery November 2.

they'll set you up in a shoulder harness for a month or so?

we had three men walking around with them at the accounting office the same week recently

Just now, row_33 said:

they'll set you up in a shoulder harness for a month or so?

we had three men walking around with them at the accounting office the same week recently

Yes. It depends on what they find when they go is as to whether I will be in a sling for 2 days or 5 weeks. There is a tear, but he may not have to do a repair (just clean up the fraying). He definitely is cleaning up the frozen shoulder. No repair: 2 days in sling, PT that afternoon for 6 months. Repair: sling for 5 weeks, PT after about a week for about a year.

39 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

oh brother, you are onto something I forget. I know we have other users here who gave had cluster headaches..otherwise known as suicide headaches as people have killed themselves to get out of the pain. I experienced them for about 14 years from about age 32 to 46...have had only slight ones since.It was  usually a month in the spring, a month in the fall, same times everyday. Always same spot in head..and truly amazing how we all dealt with the pain in the same manner..by literally banging your head on your head on a wood floor from extended childs pose...always remember my daughter waking up about age 8 cause I was causing so much noise banging my head on the floor..and her shear look of terror. 

And the left side of face hurting for the entire timeframe of the attacks..

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2122-suicide-headaches-5-realities-worst-thing-ever.html

ouch!  are they able to prescribe drugs for just-before or during?

when auras start for me I have a drug on hand at a few locations but that doesn't seem to do much for me, a fugue can last a week or so

for me.... if it's painful it's usually a tension headache, not a migraine.

such a crazy area of pain and problems, Oliver Sack's book on migraines was helpful, I'm not quite that creative with my auras at present...  :D

9 minutes ago, KRC said:

Yes. It depends on what they find when they go is as to whether I will be in a sling for 2 days or 5 weeks. There is a tear, but he may not have to do a repair (just clean up the fraying). He definitely is cleaning up the frozen shoulder. No repair: 2 days in sling, PT that afternoon for 6 months. Repair: sling for 5 weeks, PT after about a week for about a year.

been a few years since I've done a month of physio to overcome problems

the thera-cane has been very helpful for finding problems and patiently working at them, don't make it worse.... 

get one if you have shoulder problems.... 

image.png.17840648ae94f5301d6cdf895f7e862e.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KRC said:

I had a partial tear that would just throb like a toothache in my shoulder all night, regardless of what position I was in. Made it nearly impossible to sleep! I went in a cortisone shot the first time and it was no help. The guy just missed! The next time I went for the shot on Christmas Eve.....I have no idea what else I got for Christmas that year, but the local anesthetic in the shot told us immediately he got the right spot. Best Xmas gift ever to have that pain stop instantly. I’ve been thru this 3 times over 25-30 years, and never got the surgery. Still plying tennis almost daily. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had a partial tear that would just throb like a toothache in my shoulder all night, regardless of what position I was in. Made it nearly impossible to sleep! I went in a cortisone shot the first time and it was no help. The guy just missed! The next time I went for the shot on Christmas Eve.....I have no idea what else I got for Christmas that year, but the local anesthetic in the shot told us immediately he got the right spot. Best Xmas gift ever to have that pain stop instantly. I’ve been thru this 3 times over 25-30 years, and never got the surgery. Still plying tennis almost daily. 

had a few shots, that syringe is LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.... the first time i didn't see it go in, but watched it leave that hole between the bones in my shoulder..... cripes....

surgery wasn't necessary and i wasn't getting paid to play, so eventually i got the speech that "you are just going to have to face that you will find the pain isn't worth continuing in the sport any more"

glad to hear it's worked out for you, my competitive volleyball and hoops days were naturally coming to an end 30 years ago so it wasn't that traumatic to stop

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

had a few shots, that syringe is LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.... the first time i didn't see it go in, but watched it leave that hole between the bones in my shoulder..... cripes....

surgery wasn't necessary and i wasn't getting paid to play, so eventually i got the speech that "you are just going to have to face that you will find the pain isn't worth continuing in the sport any more"

glad to hear it's worked out for you, my competitive volleyball and hoops days were naturally coming to an end 30 years ago so it wasn't that traumatic to stop

I was lucky I guess, I can still serve all out in tennis, but would cry like a baby if I tried to throw a regulation football. Same basic motion, but I think the extra weight makes it a no go. My son became a pretty solid punt returner in HS because punting the ball back to him was my only option. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

My shot lasted about a week, maybe longer. Increased mobility with less pain. Then it wore off and went back to the way it was. I actually regressed since then, which is why I am looking at surgery. I want use of my arm back. However, they cannot guarantee that the frozen shoulder will not come back.

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was lucky I guess, I can still serve all out in tennis, but would cry like a baby if I tried to throw a regulation football. Same basic motion, but I think the extra weight makes it a no go. My son became a pretty solid punt returner in HS because punting the ball back to him was my only option. 

been 25 years since I've tried to throw a spiral a decent distance, I have no clue what would happen, my shoulder might burst into a million pieces  :D

i also haven't kept up on the exercises that physio gives me, when the pain goes away i try to forget it ever happened, until the next time

good bonding on a skill for your son!!

16 minutes ago, KRC said:

My shot lasted about a week, maybe longer. Increased mobility with less pain. Then it wore off and went back to the way it was. I actually regressed since then, which is why I am looking at surgery. I want use of my arm back. However, they cannot guarantee that the frozen shoulder will not come back.

Good luck! I’m sure every situation is different. In my case, the numbing agent took the immediate pain away so the cortisone had time to kick in. We practically had a massage guy on the family payroll for the frozen shoulder stuff, plus the rest of the family’s ailments. 

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

been 25 years since I've tried to throw a spiral a decent distance, I have no clue what would happen, my shoulder might burst into a million pieces  :D

i also haven't kept up on the exercises that physio gives me, when the pain goes away i try to forget it ever happened, until the next time

good bonding on a skill for your son!!

He famously forgot to signal for a fair catch a couple times, but he never once fumbled one! (The Bills could use a roster spot on him, sadly.) He even taunted one kid, popping up and getting in his face with “you geta free shot, and that’s all you got? Really?” 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KRC said:

read a few stories about them having to go right to the bone for injections on pros....

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Good luck! I’m sure every situation is different. In my case, the numbing agent took the immediate pain away so the cortisone had time to kick in. We practically had a massage guy on the family payroll for the frozen shoulder stuff, plus the rest of the family’s ailments. 

He famously forgot to signal for a fair catch a couple times, but he never once fumbled one! (The Bills could use a roster spot on him, sadly.) He even taunted one kid, popping up and getting in his face with “you geta free shot, and that’s all you got? Really?” 

never was tempted to return kicks....

Kidney stones were the worst pain I've ever felt. Not an injury, but by far the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I'd out tearing my hamstring as next in line. While it's not the worst pain ever, it just nags for a long time and makes everyday life difficult, especially if you're job requires physical labor 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

ouch!  are they able to prescribe drugs for just-before or during?

not much really works outside of pure oxygen. and that has just recently been realized as a help..

I went a good 4 years with these things before a doc finally understood and diagnosed them. Brain scans, dentist trips, allergy tests..no one knew what the fug they were. it sucked as I would get them at 2PM, 8pm and 2 am..on the same minute, every day for about a month staright ...nothing to do but endure them. By far the worst pain i have ever experienced.