Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

I honestly think the most pain I have ever felt and one of the worst types of pain you can feel, is an internal pressure on your organs.  Like severe gas pains/cramps or being severely constipated if you ever have been.

That type of thing hurts a hell of a lot more than taking deep cuts with stitches, breaking bones, or other things that sound more dramatic.

55 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

I had a kidney stone and I felt something coming on - I just could not get comfortable no matter how I sat. I called my buddy who is prone to kidney stones and gave him my symptoms - he said that it sounded like a kidney stone based on his numerous experiences so I started on the way to the hospital.

The bad thing about kidney stones is while they are extremely painful, they aren't going to kill you - so when you're sitting in the emergency room in agony (enough pain to make you puke), lots of people get seen before you do. When I finally got to see  doc he put in an IV, said he would send me for scans to see how big the stone was and left. About an hour later a nurse came by and asked how i was doing - I said I could really use something for the pain and he answer was "well, even though you're  big guy, I'm not sure we can give much more morphine" to which I exclaimed "I'm already ON MORPHINE???!!!" Damn - if that's how I felt being on a large dose of morphine I can't imagine what it would have been with no drugs - probably just would have run off the parking garage roof to end it all.

Never get a kidney stone,

That about sums up the trip(s) to the hospital. Sit drink fluids and wait.  And pee through a screen to catch the stone for analysis 

24 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

In ninth grade I hit my head on the ice while skating. Threw up a couple hours later.  Saw flashing lights and had headaches many times over the next few weeks. I’m pretty sure it was a concussion. My mom took me to a neurologist a few days later, but there wasn’t really anything he could do or say other than I should rest for a week or two. 

Yup, that sounds like a concussion.

had three doozies so far....

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My broken leg in HS football does not compare to the horrific repercussions from a lower GI/anal fissure....and the resulting fissure hunt fun and games. 

Did you get the full “colonoscopy without the anesthesia” treatment?  “Bend over”, they tell you. Umm, OK? “Hey! Who’s driving that school bus up my @ss and where do you think you’re going?” 

Back when I was having all the hemmroid issues, the doctor literally owned the radiology place, so he kept sending me for tests.  Mainly sigmoidoscopies - which is a colonoscopy that is 30 inches instead of 60.  It hurt like hell because they gave no meds.  I'm like WTF - you think 30 inches isn't going to hurt, but 60 will?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, bbb said:

Back when I was having all the hemmroid issues, the doctor literally owned the radiology place, so he kept sending me for tests.  Mainly sigmoidoscopies - which is a colonoscopy that is 30 inches instead of 60.  It hurt like hell because they gave no meds.  I'm like WTF - you think 30 inches isn't going to hurt, but 60 will?!?

My docs partner did the dirty work, then my doc came back in and asked if I had participated in “any homosexual sex”. “No”, I said, “and after what your partner just did in there I do not understand the appeal!” Yikes! 

Kidney stones is another wicked one. Never had them, but a buddy at the bank did and they would load him up on meds (Demerol I think) to survive. We’d sit in loan committee and review deals. I was the youngest guy in those days, so my biggest contribution was “Rick is drooling from the meds, so I suggest his vote doesn’t count.” 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Yup, that sounds like a concussion.

had three doozies so far....

I have a few relatives who are teachers. A relatively new rule is that if a student gets a concussion, then there shall be no homework or tests for that student for about a week, depending on a doctor’s recommendation. I get it, and they get it, but for the teacher it’s one more task since eventually the student has to be given extra attention in order to catch up to the rest of the class. It turns out that knocking heads in soccer is one of the most common causes, and it is just as likely for boys and girls. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Oh NO! Maybe I was unclear, I’m afraid! The leg was no big deal. I had an abscess in my lower GI tract. I’m NOT kidding, it was a friggin’ colonoscopy without the anesthesia to go look for it! Nothing subtle there....bend over this table and bite the towel kind of stuff! It was the result of a fissure, and they put me in the hospital on a Friday night for emergency Saturday surgery to avoid infection from the abscess. My doctor kept saying “I’m going to cut you a new @sshole!” Over and over! I did not find it as amusing as he did. 

After surgery he told my wife it was basically gone. Apparently the IV antibiotics for a day knocked it out pronto, but they didn’t bother with a new CT scan. Unfortunately, the “after affects” of the unnecessary surgery went on for most of a decade. 

I don’t know what the middle one is, but I know gout is awful too, and that’s enough “knowledge of the awful” for me! 

I apologize for TMI and any nightmares this may cause others. 

Oh. I was mistaken then. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My docs partner did the dirty work, then my doc came back in and asked if I had participated in “any homosexual sex”. “No”, I said, “and after what your partner just did in there I do not understand the appeal!” Yikes!

So funny - I had the worst case of hemorrhoids my surgeon said he ever saw so he asked me that same question!  I'm like Yeah, I'm in all this pain that I got this horrible surgery and that's what I would do?!? 

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I have a few relatives who are teachers. A relatively new rule is that if a student gets a concussion, then there shall be no homework or tests for that student for about a week, depending on a doctor’s recommendation. I get it, and they get it, but for the teacher it’s one more task since eventually the student has to be given extra attention in order to catch up to the rest of the class. It turns out that knocking heads in soccer is one of the most common causes, and it is just as likely for boys and girls. 

Good they are watching out for kids who have taken a knock, bad it adds more stress to teachers

Heading the ball is risky for concussion as well.  

22 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ve got bunions with plantar fasciitis and gout and I can tell you that anal fissures are right up there or worse. 

Gout is another one. Don’t even talk to me unless the weight of a cotton sheet on your big toe makes you want to cry in pain has ever happened to you. 

Or for those people that have experienced the pain of trigimina neuralgia. Up there with some of the worst pain ever. 

Ive had all 3 of these. They all come and go at different times. Well, the fissure is hopefully healing. Sure doesn’t feel like it tho. 

Trigiminal nueralgia and Gout make you want to punch someone or something. 

I can recall the lecture on Gout- crystal induced arthropathy clearly. It’s a shame it hurts as much as it does as it’s a rather pretty crystal.

33 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

I can recall the lecture on Gout- crystal induced arthropathy clearly. It’s a shame it hurts as much as it does as it’s a rather pretty crystal.

certain food and drinks triggers very minor bouts of it, i can imagine the pain involved that causes colleagues to be away for a week to recover

the one that left me disabled. work accident. 20 ft fall from a ladder 5 years ago.

came down still on the rung landing on concrete.

still in pain to this day, 24/7.

no opioids for me. just my indica and I can ease it some and sleep a couple hours a night.

18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Pain that will make you puke. 

Kidney stones. 

Imagine someone flicking your nads hard for an hour straight.  

had one back in august. first time I had them and no clue what was going on but knew it had something to do with my kidneys. fortunately it wasn't any bigger than 3mm and the pain was much worse going through the urethra then when I passed it.

ACL.  Never got it fixed so I am super cautious about it now.  This was 17 years ago.  It has probably given out 4 or 5 more times since then when I stepped wrong or slipped on something.  When that happens it is so painful that I get nauseous and almost vomit and start sweating profusely.  Funny thing is, when it happened the first time it didn't really hurt that bad...until the next day when the swelling really kicked in.  That was a B.

2 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Ah, I forgot that I had gout back in May for the first time.  It hurt like hell, but it only lasted a couple of days.  My fear is that it is tied in with kidney stones.  I fear them!