[Name Only Title] John Butler

major

As I’ve gotten older, I look back and appreciate former players and personnel more and more. One of those gems we had was John Butler. He haven’t had a good GM since him. Still amazed he never won a super bowl here or in San Diego. He also passed away way too young 

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Butler didn't impress me as GM. When he took the entire Bills front office with him to SD, It set the franchise back 20yrs. He facilitated the Johnson/Flutie fiasco. His drafts were mediocre. Great person, ok personnel guy but he was limited as a business man.

Edited by DRA3196

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Very good with personnel evaluation.

Absolutely horrible with handling the salary cap.

Completely agree with this.  His problem was he loved every player way too much and would pay them whatever they wanted.

In fairness the cap was still a fairly new thing, but he didn't handle it well at all.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch