Someone needs to be fired over Mahomes right now.

Klaista2k

mahomes has 5 straight games over 300 yards 16 TDs. He is on pace for around 42 TD passes. How many years will it take the bills to get 5, 300 yard passing games. mahomes has done it 5 times in his first 7 games. Billsareback which was my name during that draft class discussion on these boards and jeffsmagic tried to tell you that this guy was the next great one. But all we got was ridicule for our opinions. Feels good to be vindicated. note I do love Josh Allen and I willing to stay behind him and root for him. But I think mahomes will end up being the better QB when it’s all said and done. 

Edited by 17 Josh Allen
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, fridge said:

You honestly think Allen would be playing like Mahomes right now if he was on the Chiefs?

Folks love to delude themselves.  If they can't see the difference between the two there's no real point in even discussing it.  The Grand Canyon currently separates the two in terms of skill set.

• Like (+1) 1

Allow me to summarize the arguments against the OP's proposition - "Someone needs to be fired over Mahomes right now" --

1. "Mahomes has more offensive talent around him." So ... the Bills brain trust that passed on Mahomes ought to be given a mulligan because they also failed to address other critical needs on offense?  This one boils down to, "Sure, they blew it with Mahomes, but they also blew it with the WR corps and the O line, so it's really not just about passing on Mahomes."  McDermott and Beane ought to feel secure about this one. (A variant on this one: blame Doug Whaley because he technically presided over that draft even though nobody really thinks he made the call on this one.)

2. "But Mahomes is playing under a very talented offensive coaching staff." So ... we should definitely not blame Bills management who, after all, hired those inferior coaches.

3.  "But we got Tre White in the deal, and then a draft pick that allowed us to trade up for our guy at QB the following year."  So ... we ought to feel happy that we have a shutdown CB to go with a raw project at QB. In other words, the Browns c. 2011. Joe Haden, Shutdown Corner + Colt McCoy = 4-12.  Or perhaps more accurately, the Browns 2012:  Joe Haden + Brandon Weeden. They got their man all right. (I will admit that this argument has some logic to it, at least a whole lot more than the others, but I'm not sold.)

4. "But Josh Allen is more talented than Mahomes and will be a better QB when all is said and done." Now we're in pure denial mode, or what behavioral economists call the endowment effect - "I'm not trading my lottery ticket for that $10 million! The jackpot is now at $530 million! I'd be a fool to give up the chance for that fortune." (Yes, I believe Allen MAY be good ... I'd give him perhaps a 1 in 3 chance of being a very good starting QB. Mahomes is definitely - 100% - a very good starting QB RIGHT NOW. Maybe better than just very good.)

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Allow me to summarize the arguments against the OP's proposition - "Someone needs to be fired over Mahomes right now" --

1. "Mahomes has more offensive talent around him." So ... the Bills brain trust that passed on Mahomes ought to be given a mulligan because they also failed to address other critical needs on offense?  This one boils down to, "Sure, they blew it with Mahomes, but they also blew it with the WR corps and the O line, so it's really not just about passing on Mahomes."  McDermott and Beane ought to feel secure about this one. (A variant on this one: blame Doug Whaley because he technically presided over that draft even though nobody really thinks he made the call on this one.)

2. "But Mahomes is playing under a very talented offensive coaching staff." So ... we should definitely not blame Bills management who, after all, hired those inferior coaches.

3.  "But we got Tre White in the deal, and then a draft pick that allowed us to trade up for our guy at QB the following year."  So ... we ought to feel happy that we have a shutdown CB to go with a raw project at QB. In other words, the Browns c. 2011. Joe Haden, Shutdown Corner + Colt McCoy = 4-12.  Or perhaps more accurately, the Browns 2012:  Joe Haden + Brandon Weeden. They got their man all right. (I will admit that this argument has some logic to it, at least a whole lot more than the others, but I'm not sold.)

4. "But Josh Allen is more talented than Mahomes and will be a better QB when all is said and done." Now we're in pure denial mode, or what behavioral economists call the endowment effect - "I'm not trading my lottery ticket for that $10 million! The jackpot is now at $530 million! I'd be a fool to give up the chance for that fortune." (Yes, I believe Allen MAY be good ... I'd give him perhaps a 1 in 3 chance of being a very good starting QB. Mahomes is definitely - 100% - a very good starting QB RIGHT NOW. Maybe better than just very good.)

Wow this is the most epic true post and thread about what happen to the Bills not drafting Mahomes. This my friend was a epic beat down to the mahomes haters. 

37 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Mahomes has Andy Reid, T. Hill, and a much better O-line.   

Here is a perfect example of my Type 2 fallacy - "you can't blame the Bills braintrust for passing on Mahomes ... after all, they've failed to put in place an effective coaching staff, an impact receiver, or a competent offensive line too."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Here is a perfect example of my Type 2 fallacy - "you can't blame the Bills braintrust for passing on Mahomes ... after all, they've failed to put in place an effective coaching staff, an impact receiver, or a competent offensive line too."

You nailed it.

The most annoying part of this "rebuild" is hearing fans bring it up like we were pre-selected as the team who needs to gut their roster this season. We did this to ourselves, and worst of all, we need to have faith in this management to be the ones to figure it out.

"How could Allen succeed with this roster" is a great question, and one they should have addressed two years ago when they blatantly started going all in on their QB.

The icing on the cake for me is that we have Daboll, who has massive warts from his THREE failed OC opportunities, but all we heard was a how he held a clipboard for a national championship and fetched water for the Patriots***.

I'd like to think that we as Bills fans are experts in mediocrity. We tend to split up around this point in the season, where half become skeptical and the other half become delusional. The skeptical fans are trying to figure out how McDermott is even remotely capable of fielding an offense worthy of playing this century, while the delusional see Josh Allen's big arm and call it a day.  

Obviously its more nuanced than that, but it does boil down to this: In nearly 20 years we haven't been good at all. We've had decent defenses and flashes here and there, but both sides, the delusional and skeptical alike had determined we need a QB.

Every game that goes by where we don't have one -- and every game that goes by where Mahomes and the like light it up -- deep down we all know we're one game closer to the eventual head coach firing.

I'm not a fan of this cyclical ritual, but as earlier stated, I'm an expert in mediocrity, and I can see this one coming from a mile away.

Josh Allen could be great, and I'm hoping against hope that is... but as of today he's got a lot more in common with EJ, Trent, JP, etc. than Mahomes and his peers.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, fridge said:

You nailed it.

The most annoying part of this "rebuild" is hearing fans bring it up like we were pre-selected as the team who needs to gut their roster this season. We did this to ourselves, and worst of all, we need to have faith in this management to be the ones to figure it out.

"How could Allen succeed with this roster" is a great question, and one they should have addressed two years ago when they blatantly started going all in on their QB.

The icing on the cake for me is that we have Daboll, who has massive warts from his THREE failed OC opportunities, but all we heard was a how he held a clipboard for a national championship and fetched water for the Patriots***.

I'd like to think that we as Bills fans are experts in mediocrity. We tend to split up around this point in the season, where half become skeptical and the other half become delusional. The skeptical fans are trying to figure out how McDermott is even remotely capable of fielding an offense worthy of playing this century, while the delusional see Josh Allen's big arm and call it a day.  

Obviously its more nuanced than that, but it does boil down to this: In nearly 20 years we haven't been good at all. We've had decent defenses and flashes here and there, but both sides, the delusional and skeptical alike had determined we need a QB.

Every game that goes by where we don't have one -- and every game that goes by where Mahomes and the like light it up -- deep down we all know we're one game closer to the eventual head coach firing.

I'm not a fan of this cyclical ritual, but as earlier stated, I'm an expert in mediocrity, and I can see this one coming from a mile away.

Josh Allen could be great, and I'm hoping against hope that is... but as of today he's got a lot more in common with EJ, Trent, JP, etc. than Mahomes and his peers.

Great post, Mr. Fridge.

I'm the fan seeing what you are spelling out down the road, and wanting to try and mitigate some of the damage up front, by taking another QB in the draft next year, particularly if we finish with a really bad record.  I.E., top draft pick.

Another idea that needs pursuing is acquiring Teddy Bridgewater in free agency.  He could be better than drafting a new QB in any event.  I think he has real promise.

As things stand now, we are a season away from Allen being declared a bust and McBeane on their way out the door or at least being shown the door, even if they haven't left the room yet.

Let's get out in front of this thing while we can and avoid more cyclical down time.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Success said:

You think Mahomes would look like this had he started last year?

We'll get nowhere in hypotheticals, but what specifically about Mahomes' success has led you to believe it came from a season of grooming?

The Chiefs Offense looks every bit the equal of the 99 Rams. I agree that we should've taken a QB that year, but the smart money was Watson there. Mahommes would have been a bust here - he wouldn't have had the veteran QB leadership, Hall of Fame coach, Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, OLine, etc. that he has in KC. Mahommes has looked excellent so far, but Hill, Hunt, and Kelce were wrecking people with Alex Smith at the helm.

Hill/Hunt made Mahommes look better than he played today

52 minutes ago, Yav said:

Let it go. Not a fan and can’t stand KC or their obnoxious fans that seem to think it’s ok to disrespect the national anthem.

It is ok. Might want to bone up on the history of that country you pretend to care about so much.

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Mahomes has Andy Reid, T. Hill, and a much better O-line.   

Is the correct answer.

3 hours ago, fridge said:

We'll get nowhere in hypotheticals, but what specifically about Mahomes' success has led you to believe it came from a season of grooming?

History.