Gregg Rosenthal and Bill Barnwell - 2018 NFL First-Quarter Awards

Debrief, Week 4: Handing out 2018 NFL first-quarter awards

Gregg Rosenthal catches you up on everything you need to know as we turn from Week 4 to Week 5.

Offense sells. The first quarter of the 2018 season has been defined by galactic passing numbers, exploding scoreboards and precarious leads. No one complained on Thursday night in Los Angeleswhen Jared Goff and Kirk Cousins matched each other dime for dime. No one complained on Sunday when quarterback showdowns like Wentz vs. MariotaCarr vs. MayfieldRyan vs. Dalton and Watson vs. Luck all ended in fireworks.

The explosion in passing production would win my award as the most delightful trend of 2018. With that in mind, let's hand out some other awards at the quarter mark of the season.

The least watchable team: Buffalo Bills.

While the winless Cardinals got some consideration for this award, at least they've played nail-biters in back-to-back weeks. The average margin of victory in Buffalo's games this year is 24.5. The second half in all of four of their games has amounted to extended garbage time, even during the team's shocking trouncing of the Vikings in Week 3.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Gregg Rosenthal and Bill Barnwell - 2018 NFL First-Quarter Awards

Barnwell's NFL quarter-season awards: Picks for MVP, best rookies

Bill Barnwell ESPN Staff Writer

The NFL hands out awards at the end of every regular season. I refuse to wait that long. Every year, I hand out awards at the quarter- and half-season marks. It's a fun way to look at the season through four games, but it's also a reminder later in the season of just how much can change. This time last year, while I was picking Tom Brady to win MVP, he was competing with Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, the latter of whom would play only three more games over the rest of the season.

I've gone through each of the NFL's awards, followed the traditional rules for who seems to receive consideration, and then picked my top three candidates through Sunday's games. I've also thrown in a few of my own awards for good measure. In each case, these are my picks solely based on what has happened through four weeks as opposed to where I think the awards will land at the end of the season.