How do you develop Allen with the current offense?

DuckyBoys

Already have plenty of pro and con Allen threads.  Please dont make this into an other one. My question is what do this year to help him develop with what they have to work with?  What offense can you run with what we currently have that gives a rookie qb a fighting chance to be even modestly successful.  The Vikings game we had short field right away several times and Allen made some plays as an athlete not a qb.  Do we go heavy personnel and run heavy?  Not as concerned about winning football games (were not a playoff contender) as keeping games out of chuck and duck garage time by the second quarter. Obviously having him drop back deep and try and throw downfield with this wr core is a ridiculous proposition  Yet were doing it over and over instead of getting the ball out quick

4 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Already have plenty of pro and con Allen threads.  Please dont make this into an other one. My question is what do this year to help him develop with what they have to work with?  What offense can you run with what we currently have that gives a rookie qb a fighting chance to be even modestly successful.  The Vikings game we had short field right away several times and Allen made some plays as an athlete not a qb.  Do we go heavy personnel and run heavy?  Not as concerned about winning football games (were not a playoff contender) as keeping games out of chuck and duck garage time by the second quarter. Obviously having him drop back deep and try and throw downfield with this wr core is a ridiculous proposition  Yet were doing it over and over instead of getting the ball out quick

Establish the run so the play-action is actually effective..shady only had 5 carries last game..give him some easy reads like the vikings games..scheme some completions..wr screens etc..move to a quicker passing game so he doesnt have the opportunity to hold the ball and make bad decisions..call more of the plays hes comfortable with.Stick with the run even if its not working and stop getting pass happy hes not equipped for that at this point in his career..if we wanted someone who was ready to be a volume passer day 1 we sghould have drafted rosen . 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, we don't have an offensive line, especially up the middle, so leaning on the running game seems highly unlikely and to make up for that, we have the least skilled WR group in the league.  As a result, the offensive game plan should revolve around praying. Pray Allen doesn't become gun  shy and or hurt seriously, as the way this offense was built was criminal.  Not sure Bean and McDermotte truly understand the NFL of 2018.  Think they are confused and think its still 2011.  The draft should have been, offense, offense, offense and more offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Establish the run so the play-action is actually effective..shady only had 5 carries last game..give him some easy reads like the vikings games..scheme some completions..wr screens etc..move to a quicker passing game so he doesnt have the opportunity to hold the ball and make bad decisions..call more of the plays hes comfortable with.Stick with the run even if its not working and stop getting pass happy hes not equipped for that at this point in his career..if we wanted someone who was ready to be a volume passer day 1 we sghould have drafted rosen . 

Establishing the run is easier said than done when you have proven unable to threaten the top of the defense. No one is scared of our downfield attack. 

My my theory is opposite. I think Allen would benefit from taking shots downfield, down the seam. 

Until we we have someone defenses will respect, I don’t see McCoy being a factor in the run game. 

4 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

He will learn what it is like to be at the worst and in the worst situations. Everything else will be a "cakewalk" compared to this. 

Yeah hard to get down on yourself when the offense treats you like a godsend. This may be the new way to develop Quarterbacks. Give em crap offense. Let the offense know how *****y they can be with Nate, and they're going to be Allen's biggest supporters even after the Packers game.

Offense going into the lockerroom thinking "thank God that guy doesn't make me look even worse. Thank God he's not Peterman. I love JA!" That's a confidence boost, especially for a guy already used to being on a crappy team and using that to parlay into a high draft pick

20 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Establishing the run is easier said than done when you have proven unable to threaten the top of the defense. No one is scared of our downfield attack. 

My my theory is opposite. I think Allen would benefit from taking shots downfield, down the seam. 

Until we we have someone defenses will respect, I don’t see McCoy being a factor in the run game. 

well yeahh but we keep trying to take shots and each time he either overthrows foster or foster drops it..bottom line the wr corps is abysmal so as much as i agree that going deep softens the pressure on the run do we have the personnel or the line to do it..other than the vikings game the oline has been under siege 

Playing heavy packages isn’t going to work. There’s not a single competent offense in the league that does that.

First thing I’d do is see if we could get anything for Benjamin and Clay. Next I’d scour practice squads and preseason film for young WRs who can win vertically. WRs can be found, oline needs to be drafted /FA moves. If Allen survives and we can find the next “Stevie” as an underrated WR then it’s a win imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

McDermott pretty much said it today, protect the QB so he can stay healthy and get quality reps as he learns. 

I think establishing the run game would help get the offense in a actual flow, Daboll hasn’t helped Allen establish a rythem. (Outside of MN) 

But it’s hard to do if your playing from behind most of the time. 

Quick passes, screens, slants. 3 steps and ball comes out type throws. Get the running game going. Use playaction off that. Pick spots for a deep ball.

Biggest thing to do is what McD said. Take what you are given. Brady and the Pats are boring to watch, but that's the bread and butter of their run. 

Also, let Allen run the ball. Use his ability. MAKE the defense put a spy on him to take 1 body out of the pass rush. 

Just give the kid time.  Both in games played and time in the pocket.  

Limit the number of five wide formations.  Keep an extra blocker or two near the pocket.  Teams are already blitzing quite a bit. So even a three man route may still find holes in the secondary if the protection holds up.  And there were times yesterday where he had plenty of time to throw.  And future HOF Rodgers gave up a sack fumble too.  It happens.  

A few more bubble screens, a few more plays that may only have one downfield option and a RB as an outlet.  

Lastly, they have run the little swing pass to the flat several times with success.  Time to fake the swing pass and turn it into a wheel route.  Both Ivory and Shady should beat linebackers or safeties trying to cover.  

I'd focus on quick screen passes, plays designed to get the ball out fast. I think they are trying to go vertical a little too much and it's causing Allen to hold on the ball too much. Our line sucks, ball needs to come out fast fast fast, besides, that's the bread and butter in the NFL, stop playing hero.