Josh Allen: A fawn in headlights

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You prolly have to be a bit more polite and courteous than referring to us'ns as "dweebs" and a bit more enticing as to how the work would be received than referencing our points as "vapid".

Otherwise the answer to your wonderment is probably gonna be: 

"nah.  roll your own."

I have great respect for those analysts who seek to compile statistics in the hope of providing meaningful insight into patterns, predictive behaviors, etc. These fine people are certainly not dweebs.

Then there are those who only seek to cherry pick certain numbers and shoehorn them into a predetermined conclusion. “Dweeb” is too kind.  Like this guy:

He needed the Greenbay game to show him that he isn't going to win on his athleticism.  Be more deliberate with his throws and take the smart play when it's there.  Didn't see much screen passes outside or many 3 step drops.  Run run pass will not work in the NFL in 2018.  Looked like a terrible called game and the offense never found rythem.

9 hours ago, teef said:

i didn't think he looked rattled at all.  he made some dumb mistakes, but the entire team was off, not just allen.  i'm expecting to see more stinkers like this this season.

I agree.   He wasn't the typical rookie QB in panic mode.   He looked like a guy playing hard who made some mistakes.  

I'm far from giving up on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I have great respect for those analysts who seek to compile statistics in the hope of providing meaningful insight into patterns, predictive behaviors, etc. These fine people are certainly not dweebs.

Then there are those who only seek to cherry pick certain numbers and shoehorn them into a predetermined conclusion. “Dweeb” is too kind.  Like this guy:

He's been sacked 2nd most, that's good, no?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I thought he stayed poised all game.  Never once looked overwhelmed.  He made mistakes (as rookies do).  He had zero help from his line and the play calling was a !@#$ing joke.

He just made his 3rd career start.  Against the Packers in Green Bay.  Not sure what people are expecting from this kid.

People expect him to look like whichever rookie QB had the best week. First week it was Darnold now its Rosen.....of course they wanted him to look like Allen against the Vikings. Bunch of Monday morning QB's.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

He doesn't have the confidence in his understanding of the pro game yet to move around in the pocket and go through his progressions. He drops back, makes his primary read, and then if it isn't open he panics and bails out of the pocket (usually by turning his back). That's typical rookie stuff. This is one part of his game that I have no doubt will improve with experience.

3 hours ago, teef said:

with the ol and wr problems, is this even much of a possibility?

Screens to the Wrs, flares to the backs.  Maybe a slant to someone other than Benjamin.  The offense looked good for 2 quarters vs Minnesota and poor the rest of the year.  Get Allen in rythem get him confident and he will make plays.  Buffalos offense is Allen making a play, that's it.  McCoy looks slow, hopefully it's due to injury.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You really can't get too stressed about a young QB until you've seen them fail to improve or make the same mistakes over and over again, over the course of a season or two.  Anything short of that is really a waste of bandwidth.

I was unabashedly a Rosen guy but will say allen has shown me some things I didn’t expect. Hopefully he stays resilient and plays through a tough situation to find success. It’ll be an uphill battle but eager to watch how he takes it on. 

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I don’t know if it was Mike Pettine’s scheme/gameplan that rattled him from the very beginning or if someone told him right before kickoff that his dog died. But Allen just seemed out of it all game.

Babyface Allen’s day in Wisconsin summed up in one perfect photograph.

Add your caption...

AE4CE670-FE1A-4ACD-9DDD-B7F65482063B.thumb.jpeg.cfc05821257982e5f6b70eb971e10ccf.jpeg

That's his face lol. He looked like your HR nerd coworker during the Vikings game too.

Allen shouldn't be on the field. 

He's an enormous project who can't read a defense, can't set his protection properly, and can't check out of bad plays and into good ones. 

There's ample game tape available now on how to shut Allen down and this could really snowball into something horrific over the next 5-6 games. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Allen shouldn't be on the field. 

He's an enormous project who can't read a defense, can't set his protection properly, and can't check out of bad plays and into good ones. 

There's ample game tape available now on how to shut Allen down and this could really snowball into something horrific over the next 5-6 games. 

It’s not an ideal situation but he does have the ability to learn so hopefully that area improves. It’s not exactly rocket science.

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It’s not an ideal situation but he does have the ability to learn so hopefully that area improves. It’s not exactly rocket science.

He has the ability (everyone does), but not many QBs actually figure out how to do it properly.

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

At the end of the day at this point in their careers Rosen is probably the more accurate QB

- He also steps right into hits looks like a twig

- He also cannot run out of trouble to save his life

- He also has better receivers

Josh Allen is not as accurate

- But he is bigger, stronger, and made to take NFL big boy punishment

- Can also get first downs (and touchdowns apparantly) with his athletic ability

I am not even going to bring up the actual arm of each of these guys...which is VERY different.

He has a very old Larry Fitz and a rookie Christian Kirk and then a load of bad players at WR.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has a very old Larry Fitz and a rookie Christian Kirk and then a load of bad players at WR.

And a crap OL. 

I wish we could get away from the "looks" = "NFL injury destiny" thing.  I remember hearing how Taylor was twiggy and would break.  Taylor has problems, but getting injured an unusual amount or missing games has not been one of them.  Big, physically tough QB get injured in the NFL all the time, too.

14 hours ago, Mat68 said:

He needed the Greenbay game to show him that he isn't going to win on his athleticism.  Be more deliberate with his throws and take the smart play when it's there.  Didn't see much screen passes outside or many 3 step drops.  Run run pass will not work in the NFL in 2018.  Looked like a terrible called game and the offense never found rythem.

I have wondered if he needed that "come back to earth" reality check - if his success at mad lib'bing during the Vikings game had him trying to move away from the methodical in search of the big play.