Josh Allen: A fawn in headlights

1 hour ago, teef said:

i didn't think he looked rattled at all.  he made some dumb mistakes, but the entire team was off, not just allen.  i'm expecting to see more stinkers like this this season.

Honestly, the biggest issue to me was that Allen clearly didn’t trust the protection and OL.  He seemed to abandon the pocket and move outside the protection too early too often because he didn’t think he could step into the pocket.  Once the pressure slowed down late in the game, Josh started stepping up into the pocket and delivering strikes again.  

When the OL is playing like a revolving door, it’s no surprise to see a young athletic QB to stop trusting and try and do it all on his own.  But the problem is compounded further when you have a severe lack of play makers to throw too who struggle to get open or separation.  

This kid is going to be special IMHO, but he will have a lot of lumps this year, the supporting cast is the worst in the NFL by a mile.  To have a young QB have to try and carry the offense on his back and elevate mediocre to bad players is just crazy, especially since he is learning the game still.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fridge said:

Terrible OL and a bunch of no-name WRs?

Remember when Chan Gailey had a worse group so he spread the offense, focused on quick passes and started going toe-to-toe with the Patriots through the air? At the very least it was fun to watch.

Which is exactly how we should be passing with this group. Just because Josh has a strong arm doesnt me we should only run routes 15 yards +. We rarely had under neath quick hitting options this game... well besides the screen to Holmes - who the hell thought that was a good idea??

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Dude turned his back to the defense more than I have ever seen a QB do, and people want to sit here and say he wasn't overwhelmed?!?!

Like I stated multiple times before, Allen can't mentally play QB in NFL.  Guy can't read a defense to save his life (pre snap and post).

Don't give me that rookie crap either.  First snap Rosen took last week and this week, he is changing play based on D's alignment.

Josh Allen will never be good.  Bills better use their high pick next year to take a real QB prospect.

Your name is the most ironic thing on this forum. Oh, and Rosen threw a pick on his first drive last week. He will never be good, right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There won't be any deep routes open this season. Foster is too inconsistent and besides the OL can only buy him 1.5 seconds. Daboll needs to eliminate deep routes completely for this year.

You still have to run them, otherwise teams will stack the box with all 11 defenders and completely snuff the run game and all underneath routes.

Even if they cant get open, you still need to run them and make the defense defend the entire field.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I thought he stayed poised all game.  Never once looked overwhelmed.  He made mistakes (as rookies do).  He had zero help from his line and the play calling was a !@#$ing joke.

He just made his 3rd career start.  Against the Packers in Green Bay.  Not sure what people are expecting from this kid.

He never looked poised yesterday

1 hour ago, Philo Beddoe said:

I have absolutely no idea why it seemed every pass play was long developing when Josh was getting blitzed like crazy. I am hesitant to put a lot of fault on the WRs because I feel the play calling was freaking terrible compared to last week. Not saying they are any good...just that the offensive game plan left a lot to be desired.

Allen has to make the read at the line and get the ball out quickly. He obviously does not do a good job dissecting the D at the LOS. This was blatantly obvious when on one play it was an obvious all out blitz and all Allen did was take the snap and run like a scared chicken. You can't do that its 2 steps throw. Not take the snap run away as fast as you can and make an ill advised throw.

I am sure seeing lots of people wanting to like Allen but not willing to call it the way it is.. He is not looking poised, he is not making good reads leading to quick throws. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I saw numerous times him bailing from a perfectly fine pocket.... probably due to him being hit early and often in the game. 

That is the very definition of Not Poised, see above quotes

I was at the game on Sunday and say 15 feet from Allen and carefully watched him throughout the game.   Was visibly frustrated throughout, but kept grinding - seeing him get the call from upstairs after he threw that pick in the endzone was something to see - was mad at himself and had to keep himself from throwing his helmet at times.

After that bad fumble call came back to the sidelines and said, "in what world was that a F***ing fumble?!?"  

Overall he was upset, not doubt but at no point did I think he was lost, scared, or deer in the headlights.  

Seems like he was too fired up for his own good.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Your name is the most ironic thing on this forum. Oh, and Rosen threw a pick on his first drive last week. He will never be good, right?

He's also adamant that Tremaine Edmunds will bust at MLB.

The guy has been responsible for 3 turnovers so far.

The fumble in week 1, the hit that jarred the ball lose for Milano to pick it and the tipped ball yesterday for Poyer to pick it.  Has 30 total tackles so far.

45 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

His problem is not that he is scared or rattled.

His problem is that he wants to MAKE PLAYS, he knows that his line and WRs suck so he is trying to play backyard football miracle ball to make plays. If he knew he had longer than 1.8 seconds to throw the ball or he had a WR that would go up and catch the ball,  I would think he would be more willing to step up in the pocket

These are just excuses.

Allen had the second-longest snap-to-pass-attempt time in Week 4 at 2.75 seconds.

A QB who wants to make plays gets rid of the Football. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AllenWillBust said:

Not only this season I think...

You don't have an agenda at all

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's also adamant that Tremaine Edmunds will bust at MLB.

The guy has been responsible for 3 turnovers so far.

The fumble in week 1, the hit that jarred the ball lose for Milano to pick it and the tipped ball yesterday for Poyer to pick it.  Has 30 total tackles so far.

Seriously, if there has been one bright spot (there have been a few), it is that Edmunds is looking like a monster out there.

Edited by BillsEnthusiast
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

His problem is not that he is scared or rattled.

His problem is that he wants to MAKE PLAYS, he knows that his line and WRs suck so he is trying to play backyard football miracle ball to make plays. If he knew he had longer than 1.8 seconds to throw the ball or he had a WR that would go up and catch the ball,  I would think he would be more willing to step up in the pocket

Agree entirely. He was trying to force the issue and make something happen. That’s more like a cornered lion than a deer in the headlights. Josh Allen may end up busting, but he’s gonna bust while going down swinging. Along the way, he’s going to learn that he can’t beat pros with his sheer athletic ability and strong arm like he’s always been used to doing.