Josh Allen: A fawn in headlights

I have absolutely no idea why it seemed every pass play was long developing when Josh was getting blitzed like crazy. I am hesitant to put a lot of fault on the WRs because I feel the play calling was freaking terrible compared to last week. Not saying they are any good...just that the offensive game plan left a lot to be desired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Simms said it best this past week regarding Josh Allen.......it would be a shame if they dont put some playmakers/personale around this kid and build around him.......if the bills continue to ignore the offensive side of the ball than this kid is going to flame out very quick......which is a damn shame......

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Way to go pure douche just for the sake of going pure douche.

I'm not talking physically overwhelmed by a D line that wasn't being blocked.

I'm talking about the moment being too big for him.  I'm not seeing that when I watch him.

Yikes. Someone has a case of the Mondays.

The kid put 0 points on the board. In 2018. The moment was too big for him.

Allen was clueless out there. Had no idea where the blitz was coming from pre-snap. Was slow to recognize it post-snap. Had happy feet and left pockets and/or was overly-tentative when he was given time. 

He was completely overwhelmed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JPP said:

Simms said it best this past week regarding Josh Allen.......it would be a shame if they dont put some playmakers/personale around this kid and build around him.......if the bills continue to ignore the offensive side of the ball than this kid is going to flame out very quick......which is a damn shame......

This is like someone trying to give a hot take on this really cool app called Instagram.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No. Please explain the difference in "poise" between Allens game yesterday and a JP Losman game? 

Not saying he will be JP Losman. Just seems like a cop out for his awful performance. 

No no need to sugar coat. He sucked. A lot of it was laughable, but it is to be expected. Just need to see progress. Again, management hasn't done him any favors with the piss poor personnel around him.

Agreed.

Trent looked scared many times.

We have a lot more data on JP than we do now on Allen.  JP's problem was that he could never get the game to slow down enough for him and as a result he ran all over the field.  He was a deer in the headlights.

I don't see that in Allen.  He hangs in there too long at times, not long enough at other times.  But he doesn't look scared.  JP many times look scared.

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Allen was clueless out there. Had no idea where the blitz was coming from pre-snap. Was slow to recognize it post-snap. Had happy feet and left pockets and/or was overly-tentative when he was given time. 

As often times rookies do.  I'd be interested in the blitz pickups.  Is he calling out protections?  Bodine?  Are they seeing it and the line just isn't blocking it? 

• Like (+1) 1

JA got smoked, but it was pretty obvious the pack D had one plan and it worked.  I feel like our coaches can't self scout, but they did pull out that big win in Minni, so maybe the problem is they have a rigid or complicated O in place, and no flexibility built in when it goes wrong?

not reading blitzes pre snap is just a problem with allen at the moment, i've gotta assume the corches are working to overcome that, but i think the whole O is playing wit their pants down.

But guys this is how you develop a franchise qb no?  Can’t change your minds now. 

16 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

His coaches are stupid. 

He looked exhausted, but he kept his composure for the most part.

I blame Daboll, Line, Reciecers, and Allen in that order.

Daboll did nothing to show that he can scheme against a top-defensive mind.

The line did some good things, but then made plenty of truly ridiculous blunders.

The recievers cannot get separation. Whether this is on them, or play call, is hard to say, but there’s just no effort there.

Allen needs to play better when he gets opportunities to throw, and he needs to rise to the occasion of seeing blitzes and getting the ball our quick. Whereas he was great at feeling the pressure last week, he looked lost this week.

There's no doubt he is our future, and at times looks the part, but he is clearly raw and unprepared at this time to start in big games in the NFL.   We can only hope this coaching staff is competent enough to develop game plans to negate some of this and develop his game properly.  After the first 4 games, I honestly have my doubts they can do that. 

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I saw numerous times him bailing from a perfectly fine pocket.... probably due to him being hit early and often in the game. 

First post says he was sacked, hurried,  or knocked down 24 of 29 dropbacks.  Yes there were some clean pockets (half the story, since the WRs can’t get uncovered), but not like protection was great.  Hence the bailing, to your point...

I’m with those that said Allen kept it together. Kid was in a bad situation, but didn’t get too rattled.  

Definitely excited to see what he does with a line and some WRs!

47 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s a perfect storm right now.. Rookie QB who looks lost, terrible OL and not one good WR

This. We all knew he was a raw, project prospect. I like that they are playing him right now in this lost year so he can make mistakes and learn. I just wish they could find some guys to block for him so he doesnt get injured too badly.

44 minutes ago, fridge said:

Terrible OL and a bunch of no-name WRs?

Remember when Chan Gailey had a worse group so he spread the offense, focused on quick passes and started going toe-to-toe with the Patriots through the air? At the very least it was fun to watch.

And still never won more than 6 games in a season.

27 minutes ago, JPP said:

So the Bills FO should add OL and WRs this offseason?!? What a novel idea! Thanks Simms!