Josh Allen: A fawn in headlights

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Really?  He lost all of the poise he has shown previously this year.  He was terrible.  The game was over his head.  If we had a competent, calming influence at backup QB (we don't) I think we would have seen him for the 2nd half.

Fading...we know how you feel about him. You and a few other posters have him pegged as a day one bust, and so be it. Every time you see a poor performance from this rookie, these types of posts will come out. 

I dont think hunk he lost poise at all. He just wasn’t good. As others have mentioned, he makes big mistakes when he tries to carry the team, and the game needs to slow down. It’s going to take time. I’m more shocked about the general idea that some fans are expecting high end qb play now. His development is going to take time. We all knew it. Now we just have to hear the whining until or if it happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, AllenWillBust said:

Not only this season I think...

I told you that if you ever need someone to listen to you, I’m here. There’s no reason to act like this in the internet for the sake of being noticed. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, teef said:

Fading...we know how you feel about him. You and a few other posters have him pegged as a day one bust, and so be it. Every time you see a poor performance from this rookie, these types of posts will come out. 

I dont think hunk he lost poise at all. He just wasn’t good. As others have mentioned, he makes big mistakes when he tries to carry the team, and the game needs to slow down. It’s going to take time. I’m more shocked about the general idea that some fans are expecting high end qb play now. His development is going to take time. We all knew it. Now we just have to hear the whining until or if it happens. 

My post was not synonymous to simply stating "Allen sucks" as you present it.

I meant very specifically that yes, Allen lost composure in the game yesterday.  He was rattled.

You'll also notice that I complimented Allen by suggesting he has shown poise previously, which he has.

It was not on display in Green Bay, however.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I was hopeful that Allen wouldn’t be afraid to pull the trigger even when his receivers aren’t getting much separation. If the WR can’t come down with an accurate and well-placed ball, then that’s on the WR. If Allen holds the ball too long and gets sacked, that’s on him.

Right now Allen’s tentativeness is the most frustrating part. As a result he’s just a taller, slower version of Tuh’Rod.

That's what you see?   I think his issue is the opposite.  It's the hero ball that worries me.  And faith that our low end WRs can catch a ball that you just chuck up in the air. 

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

The fact of the matter is that Allen may very well not be the guy.

For all the excuses, Allen did not look the part. There was an errant throw early in the game that I could have sworn I saw Aaron Rodgers literally shaking his head at. Now it could have been a coincidence that Rodgers and a teammate were laughing about something else, but it was BAD. I believe it was intended for Clay.

Allen is going to be the guy this season, but there's a very real chance we struck out on this pick. If that's the case, the sooner the regime accepts it, the better. We did a pretty good job of cutting our losses with Manuel.

He may or may not, but you would have to be a complete Shmeab to make that decision so soon. 

2 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

His problem is not that he is scared or rattled.

His problem is that he wants to MAKE PLAYS, he knows that his line and WRs suck so he is trying to play backyard football miracle ball to make plays. If he knew he had longer than 1.8 seconds to throw the ball or he had a WR that would go up and catch the ball,  I would think he would be more willing to step up in the pocket

I agree.  I like that he wants to do it all, but he needs to be a LOT more careful with that hero ball stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I meant very specifically that yes, Allen lost composure in the game yesterday.  He was rattled.

You'll also notice that I complimented Allen by suggesting he has shown poise previously, which he has.

I think he was referring to most of your posts from May - August.

He doesn't look particularly rattled in that picture. He could just as easily be taking a dump*

*admittedly that would be odd to do while still wearing his helmet, but when you gotta go...

I guess in a manner of speaking he was taking one yesterday

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

i know it's just a matter of opinion at this point, but i never thought allen lost composure.  he just didn't play well.  he's actually always looked together to me, he just hasn't played well at times.  to me there's a difference between losing composure, and trying to do to much.  he tried to do to much, and his skills and team just aren't there yet.

• Like (+1) 1

He looked all lost at sea but not rattled. Rattled means you're terrified and play scared. I don't think he's scared by what he's seeing, just confused. I think he also doesn't trust his O line one bit so he doesn't trust them to keep linemen and blitzers off his back, which is why he's trying to escape pressure at the first sign of danger. 

I'm not making excuses for his poor play, he was terrible yesterday. I think he's so competitive and so desperate to help elevate this poor offense that he's trying to do too much. I guess that's one extra thing for him to process.

The main thing with this season for me is seeing how he does week to week. We know the playoffs are a no go so that's the main interest for me. I've accepted that he was crap yesterday and now want to see how he comes back next week.

I want to see if Allen improves on the small things week to week. If he's still playing like he did yesterday in seven or 8 game's time I will be VERY worried.

Yes he looks lost at times. I can accept that.

His presence when he is under pressure looked ok last week but was awful this week. I can handle that too.

What I am most concerned with is the accuracy issues. He will still just flat out miss some throws. I am hopeful he gets better, but sometimes if that is the report on the guy it just is what it is. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Watch Peterman's starts and you'll see rattled.  You'll see the look of one who's in way over his head.  That's not what I see from Allen.  Don't confuse mistakes with fear.

He turned his back to the LoS consistently and tried to run backwards at the first sign of any pressure. He had pockets to step into plenty of times and failed to do so. That is the definition of rattled.

People don't want to admit what their eyes are seeing because they cross their fingers (and close their eyes) and hope he ends up being good. I hope he ends up being a fantastic QB too but it doesn't prevent me from seeing the obvious - the kid looked in way over his head yesterday and was rattled from the 2nd quarter on.

This team is going to ruin Allen (cue all the fans who claim you can't ruin a QB) by instilling in him the idea he can't stay in the pocket and has to continually break out to make plays. He did this at Wyoming and he's doing it here. His footwork (which is the cause of his inaccuracy) is never going to improve under these conditions.

I'd rather suffer an entire season with Peterman than throw Allen in there and destroy his confidence and hinder his ability to improve his footwork.

And if the Bills insist on sticking with him, for the love of God establish a running game and set up a screen game that can build his confidence little by little. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Bailing out of the pocket early.. A clear sign he’s not trusting or processing what he’s seeing.  Clear sign of being rattled 

Can you blame him, behind this line is like playing in the interstate during rush hour. Heck he probly has to change his underwear after every series

2 hours ago, teef said:

can you call and tell someone?

i get this kind of response.  it's easy.  just call the kid a bust, and every time a bad game comes up, you can scream i told you so.  but you have it easy on the other end too!  if he develops into a good starter, you can just let us know how glad you are too be wrong!  it get it.  

If he becomes a good starter, I will be the first to say I was wrong.

However, people need to stop acting like Allen showed any promise in college.  The kid was way overdrafted and has shown zero ability to grow mentally the last 3 years.

5 minutes ago, MDH said:

He turned his back to the LoS consistently and tried to run backwards at the first sign of any pressure. He had pockets to step into plenty of times and failed to do so. That is the definition of rattled.

People don't want to admit what their eyes are seeing because they cross their fingers (and close their eyes) and hope he ends up being good. I hope he ends up being a fantastic QB too but it doesn't prevent me from seeing the obvious - the kid looked in way over his head yesterday and was rattled from the 2nd quarter on.

This team is going to ruin Allen (cue all the fans who claim you can't ruin a QB) by instilling in him the idea he can't stay in the pocket and has to continually break out to make plays. He did this at Wyoming and he's doing it here. His footwork (which is the cause of his inaccuracy) is never going to improve under these conditions.

I'd rather suffer an entire season with Peterman than throw Allen in there and destroy his confidence and hinder his ability to improve his footwork.

And if the Bills insist on sticking with him, for the love of God establish a running game and set up a screen game that can build his confidence little by little. 

The majority of the sports pundits said Allen was the type of QB that would benefit the most from learning on the sidelines.  Thanks PeterPan....

37 minutes ago, Looper said:

The majority of posters on this board would have proclaimed Elway a total bust and called for a complete FO firing.

I had just moved to Colorado just before the 1983 season.

Elway was a "fawn in the headlights".

Josh Allen is NOT going to be a "game manager" type of QB.

Build a team around Allen not around the scrubs we got now on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The majority of posters on this board would have proclaimed Elway a total bust and called for a complete FO firing.

I had just moved to Colorado just before the 1983 season.

Elway was a "fawn in the headlights".

Josh Allen is NOT going to be a "game manager" type of QB.

Build a team around Allen not around the scrubs we got now on offense.

To be honest - 1984 was better but not fantastic. Allen will take time - McBeane needs to get him some help.

http://www.nfl.com/player/johnelway/2500547/gamelogs?season=1984

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

If he becomes a good starter, I will be the first to say I was wrong.

However, people need to stop acting like Allen showed any promise in college.  The kid was way overdrafted and has shown zero ability to grow mentally the last 3 years.

well...he must have shown some promise in college so he never would have been considered such a high pick.  i don't say that to defend him, but that he's shown zero ability to grow mentally is just absurd.  can you quantify that?  i just don't get why people are acting like a rookie who has played 3 games should be super far along.  i bet last week you saw some progression, didn't you.  well, we'll see some games like that, and some games like yesterday.

2 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

Neither do the Bills apparently, unless drafting busts like Allen & Jones is their modus operandi.

If you were actually a Bills fan, why would you create such a ridiculous name and actively root for such a circumstance?  It makes no sense unless you have some real issues that go far beyond football.

I can't believe all of the negative towards Josh Allen.  Very surprising.  Here is a gifted competitor that is in his 3rd career game coming from the Mountain West Conference and being put on a team with relatively poor offensive help.  Expecting him to light up the opposing defense every week is beyond unrealistic.  Frankly,  I think he did ok against the Packers at Lambeau given the circumstances.  He will get better, there is no doubt about that.  From where he was when I saw him in his first college career start until now, he has made tremendous leaps and bounds.  Buffalo found its Jim Kelly franchise quarterback replacement.  Now it just needs to have patience and build an offense around him to give him the tools to be successful.

Edited by OrediggerPoke
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, fridge said:

Terrible OL and a bunch of no-name WRs?

Remember when Chan Gailey had a worse group so he spread the offense, focused on quick passes and started going toe-to-toe with the Patriots through the air? At the very least it was fun to watch.

"Toe-to-toe with the Patriots through the air". Okay....we know you're on a crusade here, but....REALLY?! By going "toe-to-toe" with the Pats, Chan's prolific offense managed to lose to NE by such margins as 34-3 (2010), 49-21 (2011), 52-28 (2012). Yes, there was that the win at home in 2011; but overall Gailey was 1-5 against NE, and the Bills never exceeded 372 points in any of his three years as coach, whereas the Patriots exceeded 500 points each of those three years. And for reference- the Bills scored overall 300 points in 2013-14 (post-Gailey), under arguably the worst offensive coordinator in franchise history (Nate Hackett).

Oh...and Chan's "worse group" consisted of the likes of Stevie Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naman Roosevelt, Scott Chandler and two great receiving backs (Fred Jackson, Spiller), with linemen such as Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Cordy Glenn, Eric Pears, Incognito, Chad Rhinehart. And you consider that group worse? Oh well......back to your crusade!