Josh Allen: A fawn in headlights

I don’t know if it was Mike Pettine’s scheme/gameplan that rattled him from the very beginning or if someone told him right before kickoff that his dog died. But Allen just seemed out of it all game.

Babyface Allen’s day in Wisconsin summed up in one perfect photograph.

Add your caption...

AE4CE670-FE1A-4ACD-9DDD-B7F65482063B.thumb.jpeg.cfc05821257982e5f6b70eb971e10ccf.jpeg

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Terrible OL and a bunch of no-name WRs?

Remember when Chan Gailey had a worse group so he spread the offense, focused on quick passes and started going toe-to-toe with the Patriots through the air? At the very least it was fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I thought he stayed poised all game.  Never once looked overwhelmed.  He made mistakes (as rookies do).  He had zero help from his line and the play calling was a !@#$ing joke.

He just made his 3rd career start.  Against the Packers in Green Bay.  Not sure what people are expecting from this kid.

• Like (+1) 27
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Josh is seeing defenses that he's never seen before. Naturally, he isn't understanding what to do with it. When he goes back and watches the cutups he;ll see how the looks played out. Next time, he'll have at least a better understanding of the possibilities. He's got to see things more than once to learn that there are more than one possibility from each disguise as well. Sooner than later he'll begin to see a few things happen that he's seen before. That's when the development will really begin to take place. Until that time, he'll be completely lost.

For Josh right now, it's all just a guessing game.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i didn't think he looked rattled at all.  he made some dumb mistakes, but the entire team was off, not just allen.  i'm expecting to see more stinkers like this this season.

Bailing out of the pocket early.. A clear sign he’s not trusting or processing what he’s seeing.  Clear sign of being rattled 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I thought he stayed poised all game.  Never once looked overwhelmed.  He made mistakes (as rookies do).  He had zero help from his line and the play calling was a !@#$ing joke.

He just made his 3rd career start.  Against the Packers in Green Bay.  Not sure what people are expecting from this kid.

exactly.  not in the least.  he didn't play well, but it looked like he was dealing with the awfulness.

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Bailing out of the pocket early.. A clear sign he’s not trusting or processing what he’s seeing.  Clear sign of being rattled 

that's a clear sign of being inexperienced.  he needs time to learn to see the field.  rattled is if he was looking panicked or clueless.  again, he didn't play well, but to me he just didn't seemed rattled.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Watch Peterman's starts and you'll see rattled.  You'll see the look of one who's in way over his head.  That's not what I see from Allen.  Don't confuse mistakes with fear.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Or maybe a clear sign that he has learned to not have faith in the oline holding together.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Never once looked overwhelmed? Wow. We must have watched different games then.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Never once looked overwhelmed? Wow. We must have watched different games then.

Way to go pure douche just for the sake of going pure douche.

I'm not talking physically overwhelmed by a D line that wasn't being blocked.

I'm talking about the moment being too big for him.  I'm not seeing that when I watch him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think JP Losman ever looked rattled. Terrible? Yes, but rattled? Not really.

i don't think jp ever really look rattled either.  he look more clueless to me...like there was nothing going on behind those eyes.  trent was more the rattled type.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Watch Peterman's starts and you'll see rattled.  You'll see the look of one who's in way over his head.  That's not what I see from Allen.  Don't confuse mistakes with fear.

He was rattled. He got happy feet pretty early on in the game.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Don’t forget the lousy WR’s! It’s hard for a rookie under GOOD conditions. Josh has zippo to work with. I expected a rough start, but how could you judge anyone under these circumstances? 

• Like (+1) 1