10-1: McDermott Monday Presser at 4 PM ET; Daboll and Frazier Follow at 4:30 - Check the OP for Presser Links

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You can't give a man chicken feathers and then demand that he make good chicken salad. 

What if the man had turkey, decided he didn't want it because he didn't have a recipe for it, threw it away, then replaced it with spam? Can I criticize him for making a terrible meal then?

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They either need new OLmen or a new OL coach.  Whatever Teflon Juan is telling them to do, seems only to result in massive confusion week after week.  Either these aren't the right guys for him (can't interpret their assignments IRT) or he's not the right coach for them.

Yes, there are times when they're getting beat, but there are more times when 4 guys are trying to block 2 defenders whilst 2 other defenders are licking their chops and heading unimpeded for the QB.

Given what I saw with what Juan did with Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele and Micheal Orr by making them all look like the three stooges, I'm going to side with it's a bit of both.  I don't think Ducasse, Mills, Miller, Bodine are great and definitely far from it.  However, you don't have to have great at every spot on the line for it to be competent.  If we do league inventory, what we discover is that there are a lot of bad lines talent wise, but they don't look this confused every wee. I think it's a combination of Juan and the line.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

Given what I saw with what Juan did with Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele and Micheal Orr by making them all look like the three stooges, I'm going to side with it's a bit of both.  I don't think Ducasse, Mills, Miller, Bodine are great and definitely far from it.  However, you don't have to have great at every spot on the line for it to be competent.  If we do league inventory, what we discover is that there are a lot of bad lines talent wise, but they don't look this confused every wee. I think it's a combination of Juan and the line.

If they wanted to shake things up and send a message....firing Juan would be perfect for that.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They either need new OLmen or a new OL coach.  Whatever Teflon Juan is telling them to do, seems only to result in massive confusion week after week.  Either these aren't the right guys for him (can't interpret their assignments IRT) or he's not the right coach for them.

Yes, there are times when they're getting beat, but there are more times when 4 guys are trying to block 2 defenders whilst 2 other defenders are licking their chops and heading unimpeded for the QB.

Teflon Juan! :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea so I don't understand what he expects? 

And a lot of those personnel moves and reasons the offense sucks rooster are on him and Beane so he should look in the mirror.

You really think this team is in its final construct to contend for a championship?   Some of these guys are absolute placeholders until next year and its 90 million dollars of cap space

And their drafts have not been that bad

10 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I also find it interesting that Daboll called a game plan yesterday "forcing" the OL to perform.

We all seen how that worked.

As for the rushing game side of things.  I took out Josh Allen's rushes from the team stats.

Remainder of Bills rushing is 71 rushes for 237 yards which is a 3.3 yards per rush ( Allen's average was 4.3).

That puts the Bills next to last with the likes of the Bucs rushing game.

What I'm seeing is a HC try his damndest not to throw his o line under the bus... They are bad. Point blank period. So it's kind of comical to listen to him try to answer these questions in a way where he's trying spread the blame around a bit. I mean yeah I'm sure Allen being a rookie has something to do with the sacks and hitsbhes taken so far... but we can't keep trying to dance around the fact that this line is playing very poorly and inconsistent... Or maybe they're consistently bad idk. 

So if we do like McDermott says and start in the trenches and winning the line of scrimmage then who does that fall on the o line players and Juan Castillo. So if the coach believes his players are talented enough to at least be a serviceable offensive line then I think obviously the problem can be traced back to the coach. So fire the guy and get someone else... Either find a couple decent lineman in some dumpster out there if he believes it's the lack of player talent OR fire the fricken line coach and get a guy that can get these players to play up to the talent level he believes they possess....

We can't run the ball and the QB is under constant pressure. Something needs to be done sooner than later about the line. Keep messing around trotting either the same players or the line coach out there for the rest of this season and eventually that shiny new QB the GM worked so hard to acquire is going to get broken. You're also wasting the talent of 2 very good RBs in what may be their twilight years of football. Wasting what they could provide behind bad lineman or a bad line coach. Can this be traced to Castillo? This incompetent play is either his failure as a coach or these guys are really just bad players who don't belong as starters on an NFL roster. Personally I think it's more about the way they are being coached...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

? Daboll talked about 6:30 minutes.  Link in OP.  Frazier followed him.

Didn't say much beyond "they did a good job" and "we have to do better", but he talked.

I saw it. Just wasn’t posted. Or I missed it.

I was hoping for someone to ask, “on 3rd & 4 What was the reason for all the WRs running 15 yard routes?”

I mean, do they understand how bad the calls can look at times to the average fan? I mean talk about hurting ourselves! Coach inflicted, I know he took some blame, but sometimes it’s just embarrassing. Ask the tough questions.

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I saw it. Just wasn’t posted. Or I missed it.

I was hoping for someone to ask, “on 3rd & 4 What was the reason for all the WRs running 15 yard routes?”

I mean, do they understand how bad the calls can look at times to the average fan? I mean talk about hurting ourselves! Coach inflicted, I know he took some blame, but sometimes it’s just embarrassing. Ask the tough questions.

I think that’s what McDermott was alluding to when he said “We didn't get the job done yesterday, particularly on offense, and we have to go and come up with a better plan than we did yesterday to put the players in a position to be successful”

I believe “Putting the players in a position to be successful” is coach-speak for drawing up a successful game plan to exploit the opponent, and calling appropriate plays for down and distance.

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that’s what McDermott was alluding to when he said “We didn't get the job done yesterday, particularly on offense, and we have to go and come up with a better plan than we did yesterday to put the players in a position to be successful”

I believe “Putting the players in a position to be successful” is coach-speak for drawing up a successful game plan to exploit the opponent, and calling appropriate plays for down and distance.

You’re probably right...

but they should know we see it too. It’s not really even game planning. It’s called reaching into your play book for that 3rd and short play. You should have 6 or 7 pass plays alone. It being a concept style offense each design should be capable from like 5 different sets. So ultimately like 20 different options. But you call a 3rd and 10-15 yard play. 

Get better Daboll.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He should be pissed at himself and his GM for the dreck presonnel he's given his OC and QB to work with. 

Well, he should.  But other coaches *cough* Gailey *cough*  *cough* Marrone *cough* have had dreck, and managed to look more respectable with it.

Even in that memorable 2010 Week 2 loss to Green Bay where Green Bay played "psycho" and turned Trent Edwards into a toon-eyed paralyzed statue, we still managed to 1) hang onto the ball on offense almost half the time 2) achieve 14 first downs 3) convert 1/3 of our 3rd downs 4) score a touch

And in 2013, with that no chance he could ever be a franchise QB bust EJ Manuel under center and TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, and Stevie Johnson at WR, Marrone had the Bills losing games 21-23 or 20-27.

So you know, I kind of find it hard to put it all on the dreck personnel.  Not absolving them - just saying.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, he should.  But other coaches *cough* Gailey *cough*  *cough* Marrone *cough* have had dreck, and managed to look more respectable with it.

Even in that memorable 2010 Week 2 loss to Green Bay where Green Bay played "psycho" and turned Trent Edwards into a toon-eyed paralyzed statue, we still managed to 1) hang onto the ball on offense almost half the time 2) achieve 14 first downs 3) convert 1/3 of our 3rd downs 4) score a touch

And in 2013, with that no chance he could ever be a franchise QB bust EJ Manuel under center and TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, and Stevie Johnson at WR, Marrone had the Bills losing games 21-23 or 20-27.

So you know, I kind of find it hard to put it all on the dreck personnel.  Not absolving them - just saying.

Not this level of barrel scraping dreck at OL/WR in combination with a very raw rookie QB.