10-1: McDermott Monday Presser at 4 PM ET; Daboll and Frazier Follow at 4:30 - Check the OP for Presser Links

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What would you call EJM the first 5 games of 2013? 

Player for player, I don't think it was this bad.  They had a decent corps of receivers with Stevie, Woods, and Chandler with Freddie and CJ at RB. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Player for player, I don't think it was this bad.  They had a decent corps of receivers with Stevie, Woods, and Chandler with Freddie and CJ at RB. 

I kinda think you might be mis-remembering.  Chandler was competent, I grant you.

#1 Stevie Johnson was struggling without Fitz.  Caught less than 50% of his targets and his yardage went down by 50%.  He went to San Francisco and became a #3 WR.

Woods was a raw rookie and struggling to gain separation and haul balls in that year.  Caught less than 50% of his targets.  I think you're remembering a later version of Woods.

FredEx was Truth.  Spiller was OK that year.  Given a line and the play calling I like McCoy/Ivory/Murphy >> FredEx at 32/Spiller.

OL - The tackles were probably better - Glenn was shaping well his 2nd year and Pears was probably better than Mills.

But Doug Legursky/Wood/Urbik?  I'm not sure I'd try to argue for Legursky/Urbik over Ducasse/Miller, mmm, no.  And Wood was struggling between them.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I kinda think you might be mis-remembering.  Chandler was competent, I grant you.

#1 Stevie Johnson was struggling without Fitz.  Caught less than 50% of his targets and his yardage went down by 50%.  He went to San Francisco and became a #3 WR.

Woods was a raw rookie and struggling to gain separation and haul balls in that year.  Caught less than 50% of his targets.  I think you're remembering a later version of Woods.

FredEx was Truth.  Spiller was OK that year.  Given a line and the play calling I like McCoy/Ivory/Murphy >> FredEx at 32/Spiller.

OL - The tackles were probably better - Glenn was shaping well his 2nd year and Pears was probably better than Mills.

But Doug Legursky/Wood/Urbik?  I'm not sure I'd try to argue for Legursky/Urbik over Ducasse/Miller, mmm, no.  And Wood was struggling between them.

Would still take that group over what we have right now. 

14 hours ago, mattynh said:

What else can he say?   We suck balls cause we have little talent and are building for years down the road?

I want him to answer every question by just rephrasing the question like Andy during the speed dating scene in The 40 Year Old Virgin (Do you want me to be f%#*+£g r%#€#%#d?). It will be like watching a Doug Whaley press conference, only intentional. 

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They either need new OLmen or a new OL coach.  Whatever Teflon Juan is telling them to do, seems only to result in massive confusion week after week.  Either these aren't the right guys for him (can't interpret their assignments IRT) or he's not the right coach for them.

Yes, there are times when they're getting beat, but there are more times when 4 guys are trying to block 2 defenders whilst 2 other defenders are licking their chops and heading unimpeded for the QB.

i think problem no. 1 is teflon juan.  doesn't the oc usually have control over line coaches?  is juan a mcd crony? are dabol and juan buttin heads? are they 2 separate entities?

13 hours ago, TheBeane said:

I find it pretty hard to base "not very good" when you're dealing with the lack of talent on the field each week.

And who is at fault for that? 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What would you call EJM the first 5 games of 2013? 

I haven't looked at the stats but in my opinion, I was more excited about EJ than Allen.

He had the Pats game, Carolina game, and even the browns game before he got hurt he looked alright. We have Minnesota with Allen, which was nice, but outside of the east throw to Croom and the two runs... I really don't see much beyond a great athlete.

8 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

You’re probably right...

but they should know we see it too. It’s not really even game planning. It’s called reaching into your play book for that 3rd and short play. You should have 6 or 7 pass plays alone. It being a concept style offense each design should be capable from like 5 different sets. So ultimately like 20 different options. But you call a 3rd and 10-15 yard play. 

Get better Daboll.

3rd and short when a running play can either get you the first or make the fg a little shorter. it was maddening for sure.....

even down 16-0, (with plenty of time) why not put up a couple of fgs?

McDermott kinda blasted the offense and seemingly Daboll and with good reason. 3 of the 4 games they have done too little or nothing when ot mattered. Basically comes right out amd says we need to put players in better position to succeed and to come up with a better gameplan than what we had.  Could Daboll get canned before the bye if this continues??

"We’ve got to go and come up with a better plan than what we had yesterday, putting the players in a position to be successful," said McDermott. "That’s where it starts, goes right down through fundamentals and techniques, winning one-on-one’s, guys doing their job, establishing a line of scrimmage." 

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

McDermott kinda blasted the offense and seemingly Daboll and with good reason. 3 of the 4 games they have done too little or nothing when ot mattered. Basically comes right out amd says we need to put players in better position to succeed and to come up with a better gameplan than what we had.  Could Daboll get canned before the bye if this continues??

"We’ve got to go and come up with a better plan than what we had yesterday, putting the players in a position to be successful," said McDermott. "That’s where it starts, goes right down through fundamentals and techniques, winning one-on-one’s, guys doing their job, establishing a line of scrimmage." 

...doubt very much he gets fired.....didn't McDermott send a message about his displeasure with defense by allegedly taking play calling from Frazier?......

9 minutes ago, teef said:

if mcdermott was smart, he'd come on here and start a thread about how daboll should be fired.  that's how things get done around here.

...bet he's already here.....take your pick of screen names that fit the bill................:thumbsup:....fire EVERYBODY.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Not happy with the offense, say team needs to put these guys in a better position to succeed. 

Didnt seem happy with the the play calling!!!

Good!!!! I hope someone asks Daboll the tough questions!

Good!

It was sooooo evident. IDK why either. Of course you don't repeat exactly what you did in game 3 in game 4, but it's like none of the game plan after the first few drives was tailored to what could work for the Bills O. Sure the first few drives didn't pan out but stick to the plan a little longer! By changing so drastically, the Offense cannot have an "identity". IDK about Ivory as a receiver, but we know McCoy is pretty good and I'd venture to say the TE are better than the WR group. A purely "vertical" route tree doesn't work as the main one for these players! Help Allen a bit!

42 minutes ago, teef said:

if mcdermott was smart, he'd come on here and start a thread about how daboll should be fired.  that's how things get done around here.

Or put up a billboard