Marrone went for 2 up 31-12 with 25 sec to go vs Jets

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Why would you want to take out Bortles? Usually he is the only reason the opponent is still in the game, if your getting beaten by a Blake Bortles offence, you should be more worried and angry at your defence....

very true, Re: Bortles. But at that point in time I would have sent somebody flying over the line just the same. I might just be deranged, though

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

So what. Maybe he wanted to work on the 2pt conversions. Maybe he was running up the score. That's fine. There are tie-breakers based on point difference that can come back to haunt a team. You never know how a season will play out. Take what you can get every week. It's the opponents job to stop you.

every time I hear of this being done.

I can't help but think of the time Marinos Dolphins went for a meaningless two point conversion back in the day when the conversion just was implemented.

Of course they ran it and the Dolphins RB had his knee bent backwards and I believe had a complete dislocation with ligament damage. Out for year and he was never the same again. Sad as hell.

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

I want to have reasons to hate on Marrone, but this really isn't one of them.   You're up, you are going to win the game, might as well get in some 2 point conversion work in a live situation.   

Ehh, I don't hate it. 

Isnt it statistically more likely that an extra point will be good over completing a 2 point conversion? So technically by going for it with a lower chance of scoring, you are being nicer to the opponent and giving them a better chance of not running g up the score.....

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Isnt it statistically more likely that an extra point will be good over completing a 2 point conversion? So technically by going for it with a lower chance of scoring, you are being nicer to the opponent and giving them a better chance of not running g up the score.....

I don't know about all the optics of it, people want to say it was piling on, maybe it was, Marrone is kind of a DB.    But in this instance, knowing that down the road he may need to get a 2pt conversion to win a game, I say get some reps in live action while you can.   But I"m looking at it from that standpoint only.   Not the emotional lenses most people are probably correctly looking through.   

Maybe it's a big eff you to the owner of the Jets, in which case it's still pretty iffy.    You are winning the game.  what does 2 extra points do?    

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

all the so called experts surmise, and have stats to back it up, that going for two in the long run scores more points.

problem is situationally if you do that you can lose a game you should not lose because of going for two when one is the right call, situationally.

IE: making a two point conversion in a blowout is meaningless. Missing a two pt conversion in a close game can by far far wrong, situationally of course. Ask Browns why they went for two when 1 pt would have given them a 3 pt lead vs Oak. That mistake forced them to go for 2 again and lucky they made it.

Piitsburgh tried going for a lot of 2's doing that last year and quickly decided it was pretty stupid in NFL. They used their own numbers showing they make them at a higher league avg and were set to do it all the time as they thought Big Ben and Pitt's wr's/te's gave them even better odds.  What they failed to take into account is if you have a large sample size and they do it more and more. They likely fail back to the mean. Which was exactly as it appeared to be trending before they stopped it.

So I give them credit for being bold and then more credit to stop being stupid when it showed it was flawed thinking.

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

you fail to take into account you get double points when scoring 2 pt conversion so you statistically could be worse converting 2pt vs kicking and still score more points.

https://www.boydsbets.com/nfl-two-point-conversion-success-rate/

Edited by cba fan