FIRE Daboll ASAP

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If the Bills want to save the season/help Allen progress then something has to be done. I know they need continuity, but it's best to nip it in the bud and do it NOW instead of waiting until the end of the year where Daboll will inevitably be gone. There is no way Josh is going to blossom when there is no running game being established and he is getting sacked 7 times a game. I mean  they're down 16 points early in the 4th and the Bills were in need of 4 yards on third down and what does the genius Daboll call? A long developing pass play where the every WR are running 20-30 yards down the field and not giving Allen a decent check down option. Our line is TERRIBLE ! what the hell was that?? Why is he not playing to our only strength and running it? It was happening all game long, 5 wide sets and expecting miracles. I'm not going to act like I'm some offensive coordinator, but I can see that this is not working and I can see (we all can see) that Daboll is in way over his head The 1-31 Browns are scoring points this year with a rookie QB and that's because Mayfield is given easy plays and a running game. Allen was at fault, but he's not being set up to win. 

OMG people Jesus!

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Rex Ryan fired his OC Greg Roman after only 2 games, just a couple of years ago, while coaching this team!

You make it sound like it's unheard of.

No, Roman wasn't fired after only two games. He was fired after eighteen games, two games into his second season.

By a horrible head coach desperate to draw attention away from his own poor performance. Suggesting anyone do something because it's already been done by Rex Ryan while he was in charge of the Bills is not really a winning argument.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What if they are not trying to save their season?

What if we are rebiulding and going 8-8 doesnt really help us this year?

Hmmmmmm

If you pay attention to what they do and not what they say this become obvious.

59 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

QUICK!!! Find a scapegoat and have a knee-jerk reaction!!!! HURRY!! Don't stop to think!!!!!!!

After the euphoria of last week, we'll get the angst this week. That's what we do, and that's why we're wasting time posting on team discussion boards while we could be doing something healthy and/or productive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll start by saying that I've posted from the start that I hated the hiring of Daboll.  He was horrible as offensive coordinator in previous stints and I think he's the wrong person to develop somebody very raw that could turn into an all time great given Allen's upside.  However, you give him the whole year and then make a determination of where you want to go from there.  A rookie QB thrust into the starting role because of a lack of of foresight by our GM/coach needs continuity for at least his first year.  If this offense shows significant improvement over the course of the year than Daboll should stay.  If last week was a mirage and we really are as bad as yesterday......can him.

There's some successful head coaches on the hot seat that may be looking for an OC job next year like Jason Garrett, Hue Jackson, Bill O'Brien, and Jay Gruden. Who knows who else will be available?  For those who are saying he should stay on no matter what, I point you to Sean McVay's impact on Jared Goff's play.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CSBill said:

After the euphoria of last week, we'll get the angst this week. That's what we do, and that's why we're wasting time posting on team discussion boards while we could be doing something healthy and/or productive.

I know. Good point. 

But just as much so, pointing out obvious cases of very bad ideas is also what we do.

But yeah, you're right. It's a fair point. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'll start by saying that I've posted from the start that I hated the hiring of Daboll.  He was horrible as offensive coordinator in previous stints and I think he's the wrong person to develop somebody very raw that could turn into an all time great given Allen's upside.  However, you give him the whole year and then make a determination of where you want to go from there.  A rookie QB thrust into the starting role because of a lack of of foresight by our GM/coach needs continuity for at least his first year.  If this offense shows significant improvement over the course of the year than Daboll should stay.  If last week was a mirage and we really are as bad as yesterday......can him.

There's some successful head coaches on the hot seat that may be looking for an OC job next year like Jason Garrett, Hue Jackson, Bill O'Brien, and Jay Gruden. Who knows who else will be available?  For those who are saying he should stay on no matter what, I point you to Sean McVay's impact on Jared Goff's play.

There's a very very reasonable argument that the reason Jared Goff got so much better in his second year is that Jared Goff got so much better in his second year.

Rookie QBs often don't really know what they're doing and you often see a major leap in the second year. Looked to me like McVay has done a great job but Goff just started making better decisions. One of the main reasons McVay took that job was because they had Goff.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

What amazed me was first preseason game we had different looks, lots of motion to generate mismatches.  Saw same thing against Minnesota however agains GB we lined up with FB and two tight ends and tried to run and throw out of that alignment.  No motion, no attempts to create mismatches, no play action, no running game just a vanilla offense with uninspired play calling.   

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's a very very reasonable argument that the reason Jared Goff got so much better in his second year is that Jared Goff got so much better in his second year.

Rookie QBs often don't really know what they're doing and you often see a major leap in the second year. Looked to me like McVay has done a great job but Goff just started making better decisions. One of the main reasons McVay took that job was because they had Goff.

Could be.  That was definitely the case for Carson Wentz which is why you should give Daboll at least the rest of the season.  All I'm saying is if the rest of the season mirrors yesterday you should pry look for a more accomplished offensive coordinator next year to see if Allen can develop into a franchise QB.

Edited by Doc Brown

41 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree. I was puzzled by the Daboll hire myself because there were so many better candidates out there, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. You might be right about the continuity thing, but I figured that he can still get that if you make the move now. I'm willing to give it a couple other games, but it isn't looking good.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What if they are not trying to save their season?

What if we are rebiulding and going 8-8 doesnt really help us this year?

Hmmmmmm

8-8 is a long shot. That means we have to go 7-5 with this roster.  Not impossible, but not probable. Luckily, the Jets and Dolphins are not powerhouses either. And for that matter, NE.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

So the problem isn't that our offense has the least talent in the NFL? Fire Daboll after 4 weeks? I know you're upset to suddenly realize that we won't win the SB this season, but do try to be rational.

Well, I do want Buffalo to be able to attract high quality free agents and show players they have a good base to build on. They're looking clueless out there.

25 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

This line is atrocious, and you think it's easy to establish the run. Gotcha. 

I think this line is much more suited towards run blocking.

26 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Relax and go to bed. Yes, it was bad, but no reason to start over now. Hopefully they learn and move forward. 

Who can sleep at a time like this?!

• Sad 1

My hot take is you could fire Daboll this morning and it wouldn't change the effectiveness of the offense.  

I suspect there is a serious disconnect between the OC and unit coaches and that is resulting in the lack of communication, preparation and discipline you're seeing on the field and in practice.  

The offensive line is plenty talented, they just don't know what they are suppossed to be doing most of the time.

The wide receivers lack discipline.  Dropped catches aren't from a lack of talent, it's from a lack of awareness, discipline and concentration.  

I doubt the unit coaches (Castillo or Robeskie) are lazy.  I think they aren't great teachers nor motivators and that's a killer combination for this team.