Will the Bills ruin Josh Allen?

Foreigner

16 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Mayfield and Rosen looked good though 

I had heard they "looked" good.   

None of the Comp % were great  for any of them.   

16-of-33 for Josh   .48 % comp   Allen’s reckless heave while being chased outside of the pocket 

17-of-34 for Sam  .50 % comp   Despite heavy pressure from the Jacksonville front, Darnold managed to play his first interception-free game

21-for-41 for Baker .51 % comp  Mayfield gave the Browns plenty of chances to win   -  Turnovers. Four of them. Three of which gave the Raiders 21 points

15-of-27 for Rosen .55 % comp    Rosen looked capable in his first career start. 

I'd like to see the dropped ball #'s for each game ....  

15 minutes ago, 87168 said:

ha but all teams put points on the board, except...

That they did.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 hours ago, BananaB said:

I’m more worried about the unit as a whole, way too much inexperience. Allen I think will be alright. He’s the only guy on offender who shows any promise right now. These young WRs need a decent veteran WRs infront of them. The pressure on Allen will continue until we find a guy who can play. Look at all the young WRs who make impacts throughout the league, they all have something common and it’s a experienced vet around them. And Kelvin Benjamin isn’t that vet, to be honest he should be used at a pass catching TE. Might be a way for him to improve his pay because he’s gonna be on the FA market a while after the Bills let him go.

Absolutely, aside from Allen and Dawkins who would you want to see back as offensive starters in 2019?  If Allen can make it though the season without any serious injury I'll be happy and it seems like he has the mental toughness to make it through.  Right now we have an inexperienced rookie QB behind a atrocious offensive line with mediocre receivers.  The question is with 10 draft choices and some $90M in cap space next off season can the front office put some better players around Allen?    

I was convinced Allen was the wrong Josh picked after the draft, but his attitude has been a bright spot this year. I won't pretend his performance was anything other than a turd yesterday, but he seems coachable and willing to keep on working and trying. He'll end up being good - or bad - or average, but it won't be because he was thrown into the fire early this year.

Some QBs can be ruined. If a kid comes into the league with sound mechanics and a good handle on the mental side of the game, then it’s almost impossible to ruin him. Getting him badly injured is about it. But a QB who needs work on mechanics and/or has trouble with processing progressions, reading defenses, etc. then that player needs to sit and correct all of that before playing meaningful minutes. Allen needs corrections/improvements on both. Id much rather he work on mechanics relating to his accuracy and learn the mental side of the game for a year. That’s not in the cards obviously, so he’s got an uphill battle. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had heard they "looked" good.   

None of the Comp % were great  for any of them.   

16-of-33 for Josh   .48 % comp   Allen’s reckless heave while being chased outside of the pocket 

17-of-34 for Sam  .50 % comp   Despite heavy pressure from the Jacksonville front, Darnold managed to play his first interception-free game

21-for-41 for Baker .51 % comp  Mayfield gave the Browns plenty of chances to win   -  Turnovers. Four of them. Three of which gave the Raiders 21 points

15-of-27 for Rosen .55 % comp    Rosen looked capable in his first career start. 

I'd like to see the dropped ball #'s for each game ....  

That they did.  

Can't comment for the others I haven't watched the Browns or Jets games yet.... but both Joshes had drops. The Arizona wide receivers would be every bit as bad as ours but for Larry Fitz.... and even he had an inexplicable drop across the middle yesterday. 

The big knock on Tyrod Taylor was he was not a pocket passer. That is what will happen to Josh Allen

if he has to run out of the pocket as defensive lineman bear down on him all the time. Also, defenses,

the more they see on film, the more they know his tendencies, and how to beat him.

He is not game ready, and a lot of these young hot shot QBs performances will quickly diminish. 

Sam Darnold, after his beat down of the Lions in game #1 was called a star. His next 3 games have been

bad. This is the big boys league, and there are lot smarter people on opposing teams than great rookie QBs.

Some people are calling for Patrick Mahomes to be a hall of famer. He has been great, but 3 games is

too small a sample. He may be a all time great, but 3 games is not a career, and what he sat and learned

last year can't be duplicated by rookie QBs who suffer growing pains, and how rookies succeed depend

more than on talent. It is coaching and organizational acumen. Jim Kelley was more than a rookie coming

to the Bills, Josh Allen is a rookie..

5 hours ago, 87168 said:

this team has not put Allen in any position to succeed. whether you'd like to point to the OL, the WRs, the OC...or even lack of mentor. all these factors are controlled by the front office, and they have failed Allen. 

And like I said, their hands were tied by dead cap. You can't make moves with money you don't have. Would you rather have 16 games of Peterman or have Allen in the learning on the fly? They need to scheme better, bottomline. The Minnesota gameplan was perfect. Shady needs more touches. A ground game that is working is his best friend. They need to have balance. He's not being ruined by any means. 

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

And like I said, their hands were tied by dead cap. You can't make moves with money you don't have. Would you rather have 16 games of Peterman or have Allen in the learning on the fly? They need to scheme better, bottomline. The Minnesota gameplan was perfect. Shady needs more touches. A ground game that is working is his best friend. They need to have balance. He's not being ruined by any means. 

...DEAD ON assessment...nicely done......:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We have been accused of "ruining" QB's going back to Losman, Edwards & EJ.  Not sure who is ruining who, the QB's we select, or the coaching staff we hire.  Hopefully the BILLS get this figured out, and make some corrections.  On the bright side, we do have one win for this season.

Losman and EJ were grossly overdrafted.Both coulda been had rounds later.Typical idiot Bills. Edwards threw a beautiful checkdown and a nice creampuff buttonhook 20 yards downfield...Until the concussions.Then he couldnt even do those things right. With 4th down and game he would throw the ball away or run out of bounds.It became bizarre.

The Bills organization for the last 18 yrs has excelled in ineptness at QB.

Allen is very very rough at this point..But he at least has a winner mentality.

16 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Quarterbacks can't be ruined, for the 1,000th time.

This has now been brought up in about 6 different threads.

Josh Allen will rise to the level of his own ability, and stop there.

How high that is remains to be seen.

Yes because people are all robots and are immune to the effects of non-stop adversity. Good point. 

9 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Ruined? No, but I think his development stalls out if you don't get some pieces around him. 

Exactly, 10 draft picks and $90m in cap space will help. We have not had a front office that has been willing to stay the course. The pressure is on next year, but I am confident McBean have a plan to surround our young talent with skilled position players. Baltimore seems to be fairing ok with a completely retooled receiving corp. I am a fan, I have been it for the long haul. I am excited about the future.

You are right about Shady. He is one of the premier running backs in all of football, although you wouldn't

know it if you came on the scene recently. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference if he got more touches

because Santa Clause couldn't get through to deliver if he had this OL trying to open a space.

If they don't know football 101 that the run game or the threat of a run game opens it up for the pass

game, then something is clearly wrong.

The Minnesota game plan never had to be used because that team came on the field acting like they 

just closed every bar in the State. The fumbles and horrid play of the Vikings was a aberration, as they

almost beat the undefeated Rams the past week.

21 hours ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I'll just go ahead and call you a troll instead of trying to respond to this nonsensical take on the situation. You have no clue. 

So what would your intelligent response be?  I'm not defending the original post, but just saying someone else is dumb is just plain lazy.  Demonstrate your argument.

If Tyrod ever had a game with 79 yards passing, there would have been 20 negative threads about it.

Allen gets a pass? Of course he should, because he is not ready.

There was a story today about bringing in another ex Panther to mentor him. Another Benjamin maybe?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foreigner said:

If Tyrod ever had a game with 79 yards passing, there would have been 20 negative threads about it.

Allen gets a pass? Of course he should, because he is not ready.

There was a story today about bringing in another ex Panther to mentor him. Another Benjamin maybe?

i think the glaring difference, as others have mentioned, is that taylor has been in the league for years, and allen for months.  we know the taylor has peaked, but allen has a very long way to go.  i don't think anyone is giving allen a pass, but some are smart enough to use patience.  we just need to see a gradual progression of allen over the next year or two.

7 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

The idea is to win games, however it is done. Winning 13-12 boring games is better than losing 50-45.

If Jim Kelley was healthy enough, and wanted to do it, Allen could learn more from him than possibly anyone.

i agree.  even if he isn't a big part of it statistically, i think it's important for allen to be a part of those wins.