[Vague Title] After reviewing the Packers game....

Domdab99

I can safely say:

• Our rookies on the defense are good.
  • Edmunds is going to be damn good. He was all over the field today.
  • Taron Johnson is a heluva player...but he's too small and he will end up having injury issues because of it.
  • Ryan Lewis was burned a few times and then played too far off, and he was thus picked on by Rodgers. Hopefully, he learns from this.
  • Star was Star....he's fine.
  • We should probably start carrying more than FOUR ACTIVE CBSs on the roster.
  • Our rookie punter is good....seems like a great pick-up.
  • The defense really played well, even though they gave up a few chunk plays. They were constantly playing on short field after yet another 3 and out. They started slowly, though.
  • Hope Hyde's groin isn't a problem.

• Shady had 5 runs and three receptions and averaged over 5 yards a touch. Whatever the problem is, it ain't him.
  • Benjamin either needs a change in attitude or a change in location.
  • Josh Allen had a bad game, and that's okay. Dabol didn't make it any easier for him.
  • It seems Dabol tries to force a scheme on the other team, even when it's not working, or if his personnel cannot execute that scheme very well.
  • Dabol did fine by Josh last week - lots of quick passes, slants, and flats, but what about today? This makes me confused.
  • Time to let Teller have a shot...he can't be any worse that Connor McD. Miller will obviously not be back next year. either. 
  • Holmes is slow.
  • KB is slow.
  • Croom is slow and should never be given a swing pass route again. He had one on a 3rd and short , had the angle on the CB and the first down marker, and still got taken down from behind.
  • Why no Logan Thomas? The guy can catch. 
  • Our WRs are obviously the worst in the league. Foster - meh. Jones -meh. Ray Ray - meh. 
  • Allen is very raw and he needs grooming and easier plays to improve and gain confidence. It would also help if he had a supporting cast that kept the other team off his !@#$ing face. But he also needs to throw the ball away more. 

• We need a WR or two from the FA pool. Desperately. Dez, Richards, Golden !@#$ing Richard, I don't care. 
  • Not sure if this was The Process or something else. 

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Edmunds does fly to the ball.... but I'd rather he was in position in the first place. His gap discipline has a way to go. 

Probably a fair comment, but he did make a couple of good plays along the way, confirming his potential. The tipped pass that lead to the int, for one, and the sack of Rodgers for another, off of the top of my head.

As of this moment, the D is obviously not the problem with this team. Nor is STs. While there can be legitimate constructive criticism of them, e.g. tackling technique, they aren't the unit(s) who are responsible for the latest loss.

I've said his elsewhere, but both the Offensive gameplan, and subsequent preparation, was completely flawed.

You have to run against a Pettine D, because that's their weakness. Doesn't actually matter who your QB is, it's something you have to do, because it stops him sending an extra body after the QB all day long. Which is largely what happened.

The O-Line was useless, with pressure coming through the middle a lot, preventing Allen from stepping up, but also giving him happy feet, so when there were opportunities to do so, he was reluctant to take them. The more I hear about Allen's accuracy issues, the less I like, as while they do exist, they are pretty much all about footwork. Just about every time he sets his feet properly, the football goes where it is intended to go.

We have serious problems through the middle of the O-Line, where I'm not sure we have anyone who should be on a team, let alone a starter. As Clay is being hampered by injury, it doesn't appear that we have a TE who can block, at all. Note to Beane - O'Leary is on the 'Fins PS, it might be an idea to bring him back, as he can both block and catch, and doesn't give away as many penalties per snap as, say, Lee, who you could cut immediately, and he wouldn't be missed.

Castillo also has to take some of the heat for the rubbish O-Line play, and also for not coming up with anything useful to counterract Pettine. Daboll should be insisting that we have a plan B for blocking, as plan A has only worked once so far. I'm not absolving Daboll btw. Seems to me we are getting to a 'smartest man in the room' situation, where on the back of one success, he decides that a rookie QB, behind a matador O-Line, is going to get time enough to throw downfield, against a team with a good secondary, and a DC who knows every blitz variation in the book.

Why is it, that whenever we actually could use a heavy dose of 'run, run, pass', our glorious coaches can't seem to figure it out.

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty much agree with your post.

As far as Benjamin is concerned; I’m not trying to make excuses for him but attitude may not be the issue. Watching him since the beginning of the season he not only  struggles to catch the ball he has trouble securing it and hanging on when he gets hit! Nothing has been said about an injury, maybe to his hand for example. Things don’t add up here! He came to Buffalo during the season last year, played hurt, and seemed to like it here. Showed up to camp in good shape, I think this is last year on his contract too! Beane characterized him as a “fierce competitor “!  Is catching Allen’s fastballs the problem? Wasn’t when he played with Newton. Is he upset about having to break in a young Qb? I know this pure speculation and maybe in time we will hear why KB is struggling.

I think the issue with McCoy's that he's still hurt. That's why his touches were limited even though he had a pretty good average yesterday. But I thought the defense played pretty well. On offense Allen had a lot of trouble diagnosing the extra pass-rushers which is something we've seen before and the Packers really took advantage of it but he's a rookie and it's going to look like what it's going to look like this year. I'm more interested in the year over year Improvement when Allen gets to year two.

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

Probably a fair comment, but he did make a couple of good plays along the way, confirming his potential. The tipped pass that lead to the int, for one, and the sack of Rodgers for another, off of the top of my head.

As of this moment, the D is obviously not the problem with this team. Nor is STs. While there can be legitimate constructive criticism of them, e.g. tackling technique, they aren't the unit(s) who are responsible for the latest loss.

I've said his elsewhere, but both the Offensive gameplan, and subsequent preparation, was completely flawed.

You have to run against a Pettine D, because that's their weakness. Doesn't actually matter who your QB is, it's something you have to do, because it stops him sending an extra body after the QB all day long. Which is largely what happened.

The O-Line was useless, with pressure coming through the middle a lot, preventing Allen from stepping up, but also giving him happy feet, so when there were opportunities to do so, he was reluctant to take them. The more I hear about Allen's accuracy issues, the less I like, as while they do exist, they are pretty much all about footwork. Just about every time he sets his feet properly, the football goes where it is intended to go.

We have serious problems through the middle of the O-Line, where I'm not sure we have anyone who should be on a team, let alone a starter. As Clay is being hampered by injury, it doesn't appear that we have a TE who can block, at all. Note to Beane - O'Leary is on the 'Fins PS, it might be an idea to bring him back, as he can both block and catch, and doesn't give away as many penalties per snap as, say, Lee, who you could cut immediately, and he wouldn't be missed.

Castillo also has to take some of the heat for the rubbish O-Line play, and also for not coming up with anything useful to counterract Pettine. Daboll should be insisting that we have a plan B for blocking, as plan A has only worked once so far. I'm not absolving Daboll btw. Seems to me we are getting to a 'smartest man in the room' situation, where on the back of one success, he decides that a rookie QB, behind a matador O-Line, is going to get time enough to throw downfield, against a team with a good secondary, and a DC who knows every blitz variation in the book.

Why is it, that whenever we actually could use a heavy dose of 'run, run, pass', our glorious coaches can't seem to figure it out.

Two points I agree with.

You have to pound Pettine’s def. with the run and force them to lay off on the blitzing. While his def. can bring a lot of heat they can be exploited on up the middle. Daboll failed here!

Josh absolutely plays well when he doesn’t have pressure in his face and can step up and throw. Just like almost every QB! His mechanics are there and he can go through the progressions. Credit the Packer def. they got pressure in his face and did a really good job of tackling him when he did tried to scramble. 

We we will see that game plan again! Daboll needs to help Josh adjust!.

17 minutes ago, Bring it said:

As far as Benjamin is concerned; I’m not trying to make excuses for him but attitude may not be the issue. Watching him since the beginning of the season he not only  struggles to catch the ball he has trouble securing it and hanging on when he gets hit! Nothing has been said about an injury, maybe to his hand for example. Things don’t add up here! He came to Buffalo during the season last year, played hurt, and seemed to like it here. Showed up to camp in good shape, I think this is last year on his contract too! Beane characterized him as a “fierce competitor “!  Is catching Allen’s fastballs the problem? Wasn’t when he played with Newton. Is he upset about having to break in a young Qb? I know this pure speculation and maybe in time we will hear why KB is struggling.

Maybe he has problems catching balls with velocity - not being sarcastic.  It seems a lot of our WRs now with Allen try to catch everything with their body, which now only screws with their catching radius but also how they handle the ball after it hits them  - like they have no trust/ability to catch a fastball with just their hands

Edited by stevewin

Agreed. DaBoll is supposed to be a leaf off BillyCheats tree.  I've seen none of that. Adjustments and plan B are the key. All anyone could talk about last week was how Patricia and the Lions gave the league the game plan to beat the Patriots. What happens?  They pound Michel, spread out the passing game, make adjustments on the line and destroy the 3-0 Dolphins. 

I am going to reserve judgment for next week. Playing at home against an over-achieving Titans team. If we see the same crap on offense that we saw yesterday, then we better make some serious moves to help Allen. I still don't get why we haven't stacked the backfield with McCoy and Ivory.

Damn, I'd even try to run a wing with McCoy, Ivory and DiMarco in to block. Keep it unpredictable.  Use your RB's in motion to give them space. That will create mismatches and put the ball in the hands of your playmakers more often. If they send an extra man, you've got plenty of intermediate options with the RB's and TE and a QB with the arm to hit the deep ball.  

• Like (+1) 2

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Bring it said:

I think it was against the vikings but KB pointed to his shoulder after a play while talking to allen and shook his head no. Could be anything but I took it to mean his shoulder hurts

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I think it was against the vikings but KB pointed to his shoulder after a play while talking to allen and shook his head no. Could be anything but I took it to mean his shoulder hurts

Could be. I hadn’t seen the particular play you are referencing.