Benchmarks for Allen

Zerovoltz

It is hard to measure progress without a comparable player or situation.  I was thinking a comparable player and situation would be Mitch Trubisky with the Bears.  He was drafted onto a team with a decent RB and no other weapons.  The D was decent.  They spent the whole first year that way then spent this offseason to add to the offense.

Mitch didn’t have a good first year.  7 tds, 7 ints.  Low yardage etc.  he hadn’t been all that much better thus far until today.  

PS.  Allen wasn’t very good against the Vikings as these things go.  The defense gave him short fields, he fumbled three times, and the Bills fell on all three.  He threw a few balls that should have been picked and his one deep pass was a well under thrown duck that the receiver got under and the defender overran.  

Compard to Mitch as the season goes.  He’s a good measuring stick for the player and situation 

He hasn't played well at all, but he jumped over a guy and tried to fire the defense up in a losing effort so he might as well get the key to the city in Buffalo.

My benchmark is EJ Manuel, which should be very, very a low bar. Allen needs to improve completing passes in obvious passing situations and clutch third downs. If he keeps getting off the field this quickly I'll have no hope. As an aside, I think even EJ was better at this point, though no one can deny Allen's ceiling, it's a little annoying to watch a shutout and the pass he threw at the end of the first half.

I can’t say I agree with your analysis on his game against the Vikings.

He was excellent that game.

Sure he made some rookie mistakes but he made unbelievable plays. If he had competent WRs, he would have had another TD with at least 75 more yards. 

As a rookie going on on the road to a tough environment, I really don’t know how he could have played better than that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

It is hard to measure progress without a comparable player or situation.  I was thinking a comparable player and situation would be Mitch Trubisky with the Bears.  He was drafted onto a team with a decent RB and no other weapons.  The D was decent.  They spent the whole first year that way then spent this offseason to add to the offense.

Mitch didn’t have a good first year.  7 tds, 7 ints.  Low yardage etc.  he hadn’t been all that much better thus far until today.  

PS.  Allen wasn’t very good against the Vikings as these things go.  The defense gave him short fields, he fumbled three times, and the Bills fell on all three.  He threw a few balls that should have been picked and his one deep pass was a well under thrown duck that the receiver got under and the defender overran.  

Compard to Mitch as the season goes.  He’s a good measuring stick for the player and situation 

Terrible analysis.  He was pretty darned good last week.  This week of course was another story as he was simply horrific. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

He needs to play as well as Wentz did his rookie season. That is what I need to see. 

1 minute ago, goldenboy81 said:

If you didnt think Allen balled last week, idk what to tell ya..

And its impossible to judge Allen already especially with this oline and cfl receivers he has to work with. 

I’m sure you could find 5 CFL wrs that could improve this group

It's so hard to call it with this OC, OL, WR's plus  the bad coaching. Bad OL coaching, Bad WR coaching. Bad play calls and who know what kind of QB coaching he's getting. All the f'kin process in the world can't fix that. McD is concentrating on D and the O is in the hands of DaBoll who is proving to fail for the 4th time.

Look at Flacco. Everyone thought he was washed up. They were ready to anoint Lamar. But Baltimore went out and revamped their WR and TE's. Now he looks like an All-Pro. You've got to give your QB weapons before you decide anything.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

If you didnt think Allen balled last week, idk what to tell ya..

And its impossible to judge Allen already especially with this oline and cfl receivers he has to work with. 

He had a good game, no doubt, but it was a Captain Checkdown offense where 70% of his passing numbers came from YAC. 

This is going to be a tough one for Beane to solve in 2019. You've only got so many dollars and draft picks, and they can't all go to the offense. 

#trusttheprocess 

20 minutes ago, fridge said:

He hasn't played well at all, but he jumped over a guy and tried to fire the defense up in a losing effort so he might as well get the key to the city in Buffalo.

My benchmark is EJ Manuel, which should be very, very a low bar. Allen needs to improve completing passes in obvious passing situations and clutch third downs. If he keeps getting off the field this quickly I'll have no hope. As an aside, I think even EJ was better at this point, though no one can deny Allen's ceiling, it's a little annoying to watch a shutout and the pass he threw at the end of the first half.

This is absolutely true.  He has exhibited genuine leadership skills, firing up the troops on the sidelines, and he has clearly shown that he is fearless on the field and will risk bodily injury to make a play.

On top of that, he did make several big, exciting plays against the Vikings...with his legs.

Because of all that, most folks here decided he is a budding superstar.  In fact, I think we have a thread with that more or less as the title.

It's all a smokescreen for his actual play as a quarterback throwing the football, which has been pretty bad.

Today in Green Bay it wasn't pretty bad, it was dreadful.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

This is absolutely true.  He has exhibited genuine leadership skills, firing up the troops on the sidelines, and he has clearly shown that he is fearless on the field and will risk bodily injury to make a play.

On top of that, he did make several big, exciting plays against the Vikings...with his legs.

Because of all that, most folks here decided he is a budding superstar.  In fact, I think we have a thread with that more or less as the title.

It's all a smokescreen for his actual play as a quarterback throwing the football, which has been pretty bad.

Today in Green Bay it wasn't pretty bad, it was dreadful.

It takes two players to make the players you are talking about......

TWO drops by KB in the viking game that absolutely should have been caught.......one deep ball that absolutely should have been caught by Foster

Geez fans are brutal last week he was the second coming and now he’s Mitch Tribisky...Dak Prescott set the world on fire as a rookie and now even after what he did today a bunch of people in Dallas still want a new QB...the difference? A banged up oline and taking away his top two receiving threats will do that...Give Allen a quality running game and couple weapons and he will be just fine 

1 hour ago, fridge said:

Allen looked better against Minnesota than EJ Manuel has ever looked in a game in his NFL career.  Just relax.

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He had a good game, no doubt, but it was a Captain Checkdown offense where 70% of his passing numbers came from YAC. 

This is going to be a tough one for Beane to solve in 2019. You've only got so many dollars and draft picks, and they can't all go to the offense

#trusttheprocess 

They have A LOT of dollars and oh yes they can, and they will.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

1 minute ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Allen looked better against Minnesota than EJ Manuel has ever looked in a game in his NFL career.  Just relax.

What about the comeback game against Carolina?

You know, the one where everyone here said we were witnessing the start of the EJ Manuel era, our new franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fadingpain said:

What about the comeback game against Carolina?

You know, the one where everyone here said we were witnessing the start of the EJ Manuel era, our new franchise QB.

You mean the game they won because Luke Kuechly got flagged for a very suspect PI that kept the winning drive alive?  Yes, Allen looked much better against Minnesota than Manuel did that game.  Allen literally threw maybe two bad passes all game.  Not to mention, Manuel had, like, real guys to work with and that was his best game as a pro.  The following week against the Jets, he was every bit as bad as Allen was today, if not worse.  If Allen doesn't exhibit the level of play he showed against Minnesota again this season, then we have a problem.  I am confident he will.  

Josh looked like Big Ben on many plays.....O line and weapons seems the be the consensus of at least a half dozen threads. Single opinions here can be eratic.....but the overall consensus is accurate. Terry.....hire everyone on this board....then hire one more objective analyst to extract the consensus gems. Winner winner chicken dinner.....