Serious question: If this team continues to go the route that it is going what makes anyone think players will want to come to Buffalo to play?

Iverwig

6 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Money.  /close thread

Not exactly....

I assume the issue is how can the Bills secure a player IN DEMAND over more favourable locations that are also bidding for him?

any bum on his way out will sign with the only team asking about him if it means his alternative is selling used cars in his home town

Or you may mean offering two or three times market value for a Mario Williams, Which isn’t a good strategy when you have 14 starting positions to fill 

8 hours ago, Iverwig said:

I get that money talks but if the contract is not guaranteed then why come and play for Buffalo?  We have been the laughing stock of the NFL for 3 of the first 4 weeks so far.

If by 3 of the first 4 weeks, you mean 25 years, you are correct, sir

9 hours ago, Iverwig said:

What's ridiculous about the post?  I clearly stated SERIOUS QUESTION.  So you have to go back to 84-84 for a repeat of history in 2018 yeah okay.  

OK Einstein, just trying to demonstrate poor teams have bounced back - whatever!

9 hours ago, Iverwig said:

Serious question: If this team continues to go the route that it is going what makes anyone think players will want to come to Buffalo to play?

As pointed out above, money. That's what accounts for probably 95% of all player decisions regarding what team to go to.

The offseason after the Browns went 0 - 16 saw them pick up some very nice FAs.

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All everyone keeps saying is how much money we have next year and how many picks...what makes anybody think these guys will pick the right players? You can have all the picks and money in the world. If you can’t identify talent..it won’t matter. Our Recieving group is legitimately embarrassing. The fact that these guys had months before the season to get players in and this is what they came up with, is scary. Last year was no better. The Oline is very suspect. That’s a good feeling when you are starting a rookie.?To think that our only 2 QBs on the roster, are a very raw Rookie and a second year guy that we literally can’t put back in a game...what are we doing here? I don’t care if we have 150 mil in cap room, these guys don’t know what to do with it. We don’t have to be this bad right now. We don’t have money tied up in a big qb contract. The cupboard wasn’t bare when these guys got here. They made it that way. Seemingly for no reason. Where does this faith come from? 

Yes, the FO has to make the right decisions.

No, it's not scary they have a poor receiving group. It was clear they needed help at WR, but they didn't spend many resources on it. That's because they had major needs nearly everywhere. If they had gone WR in the first they wouldn't have gotten one of either Edmunds or Allen. Both of whom if they work out play a position that's far more needful than WR given the defense they want to run.

Beane has had exactly one draft. One. Not one guy he's drafted has played more than four games. 

The fact is that we simply don't know yet how good he is at drafting or at bringing in FAs when he has money. He has no history of either as yet. He'll either be good or bad, and we don't know which as yet.

Myself, I think he's shown himself a smart cookie with a plan. He still has to prove himself but I've got decent confidence he'll do so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All everyone keeps saying is how much money we have next year and how many picks...what makes anybody think these guys will pick the right players? You can have all the picks and money in the world. If you can’t identify talent..it won’t matter. Our Recieving group is legitimately embarrassing. The fact that these guys had months before the season to get players in and this is what they came up with, is scary. Last year was no better. The Oline is very suspect. That’s a good feeling when you are starting a rookie.?To think that our only 2 QBs on the roster, are a very raw Rookie and a second year guy that we literally can’t put back in a game...what are we doing here? I don’t care if we have 150 mil in cap room, these guys don’t know what to do with it. We don’t have to be this bad right now. We don’t have money tied up in a big qb contract. The cupboard wasn’t bare when these guys got here. They made it that way. Seemingly for no reason. Where does this faith come from? 

Yes, the FO has to make the right decisions. Same for every team.

No, it's not scary they have a poor receiving group. It was clear they needed help at WR, but they didn't spend many resources on it. That's because they had major needs nearly everywhere. If they had gone WR in the first they wouldn't have gotten one of either Edmunds or Allen. Both of whom if they work out play a position that's far more needful than WR given the defense they want to run. In this situation there was simply no way to address all of their needs.

Beane has had exactly one draft. One. Not one guy he's drafted has played more than four games. 

The fact is that we simply don't know yet how good he is at drafting or at bringing in FAs when he has money. He has no history of either as yet. He'll either be good or bad, and we don't know which.

Myself, I think he's shown himself a smart cookie with a plan. He still has to prove himself but I've got decent confidence he'll do so.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

Not exactly....

Yes exactly.... you are adding a different context to what the OP wrote and answering based on that.  It doesn't take an extraordinary amount of intellectual resources to say to someone "you can get paid x to go to a Super Bowl contender OR a the exact same amount for a bottom dwellar" and have to wonder what the most likely answer would be. However,  to imply no one will come to Buffalo (or Cleveland or Jets etc)  because of the record is blatantly false and THUS my original response. Enjoy the day!

4 hours ago, vorpma said:

OK Einstein, just trying to demonstrate poor teams have bounced back - whatever!

the Bills are AGAIN stuck with a team dominating their division for a decade or more and there's nothing they can do about it, the Fish in the 70s and Brady for much longer

when you are playing for a WC spot as optimal it isn't a good time out there