Big picture is just life with a rookie qb

Not that simple. Other teams have rookie QBs, and have some talent around them. Throw in the fact that Allen may not even be any good, and you have the mess that is the Bills offense. It’s going to be hard to evaluate, but Allen looks less than the other rookies as an NFL passer. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not that simple. Other teams have rookie QBs, and have some talent around them. Throw in the fact that Allen may not even be any good, and you have the mess that is the Bills offense. It’s going to be hard to evaluate, but Allen looks less than the other rookies as an NFL passer. 

This^

:ph34r:

Allen's not near ready. I don't think the coaches are giving him more than one read before being instructed to throw it away, or run, or scramble around like a playground.

This season will be QB play 101 and hope that some of this starts to look familiar enough by next year, to hopefully start adding on top of it.

Right around the time it starts to make sense is right around the time the front office usually gets cleaned out, sooo...

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

kid is a gamer.  Even his stupid-mistake INT came from wanting to win.   He'll learn to throw it away when he needs to and risk it when he needs to.  

I like Croom also.  Kid is big with hands and gets open.  With an O-line and average WR's the offense is much improved

....agree on both accounts.....BUT...patience is an expected virtue 'round these parts?....not a chance..................

2 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

I was in the game day thread here today.  I never heard such criticism of a Buffalo Bills QB, rookie or no rookie.  Josh Allen is in a really bad situation with a bad team like the 2018 Buffalo Bills.  I just don't see Josh Allen progressing.  He's constantly running for his life!

:mellow:

As I said from the beginning, Allen has been set up to fail ... and that's what he's doing.  You cannot expect a rookie QB to flourish without good protection, without NFL-caliber WRs, and without a running game.  Actually, no QB, no matter how great, could.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am worried about Allen's accuracy throwing the ball.  This was a well known issue prior to the draft, but if it does not improve, he (and the Bills) will have problems.

I really hope this is fixable, but he looked awful today.  Plenty of blame to go around, including play calling, wide receivers and o-line, but his lack of accuracy is my greatest concern at this point.

Were you worried last week?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoTier said:

As I said from the beginning, Allen has been set up to fail ... and that's what he's doing.  You cannot expect a rookie QB to flourish without good protection, without NFL-caliber WRs, and without a running game.  Actually, no QB, no matter how great, could.

What about the GOAT?

16 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The o line hasent been THAT bad. Allen needs to get the ball out quicker and also stop looking 40 yards down field every throw. Just take the easy dump off sometimes. I admit the play calling needs to be better also. Some slants would be nice now and then 

Eh. I *think* Allen will be good but I haven’t seen that much visual evidence yet.  His very best throw was dropped by Robert Foster vs Minny.  The play to Croom was nice but he was wide open. One long pass was a screen to Ivory. The other great plays were superhuman running ability, which will be shut down as we saw today. 

So yes, the receivers suck, but cmon, can we see some passes into tight windows and touch balls in the end zone?   

Man there's a lot of excuses going on here. Play calling was bad. Oline was bad. Receivers were bad. The only legit excuse to me is Allen shouldn't even have been out there. He should have had a real QB to watch and learn behind. 

Allen was his own (and the Bills') worst enemy out there today. He was the main reason we sucked, not everyone else. He tanked this game with his terrible play.

Hopefully he bounces back, and we can look back on this week as his career low point (as surely it can't get lower than today, right??). He's going to need to because we can put all the talent in the world around him, but this team won't ever amount to anything if plays even remotely like he did today. Yuck.  

• Like (+1) 1

Jarrod Goff went through this I remember Rick Neuheisel calling him during his rookie year one of the biggest busts he’s ever seen enter a new coach... some offensive weapons..a couple linemen and two years later he’s probably the league mvp..the Bills front office did this kid no favors  

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Jarrod Goff went through this I remember Rick Neuheisel calling him during his rookie year one of the biggest busts he’s ever seen enter a new coach... some offensive weapons..a couple linemen and two years later he’s probably the league mvp..the Bills front office did this kid no favors  

Don’t forget McVay, guy is a legit offensive guru. Can’t underestimate that. Rams had plenty of talent to begin with, McDermott may be the Bills Fisher.