Don't look now, but the Bills have sneakily one of the best defenses in the NFL

BringBackOrton

9th in yards.  8th in yards per play.  14th in takeaways. 11th in passing NY/A allowed. 8th in YPC allowed. 8th in yards per drive.  10th in plays per drive. 9th in time per drive.

There are some really horrifying stats too.  24th in points allowed.  But when you consider we are 29th in starting position, and we had the Peterman game, and Chargers debacle, I think the arrow is pointing up.

too early as the sample size is way too small.

One good game like Vikes game and you shoot up the charts. Shoot up so far that the eye test you have seen so far in season is disturbing and confusing as to what the hell is really the truth.

Very encouraging though and we all hope it continues.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cba fan said:

One good game like Vikes game and you shoot up the charts. Shoot up so far that the eye test you have seen so far in season is disturbing and confusing as to what the hell is really the truth.

Well I guess we need to find out if we are the defense for the first 6 quarters of the year or the last 6 quarters.

Based on last year probably both in inexplicable ways. Like how can a defense look so good for a few weeks then look equally as bad for a few weeks, then go back to looking good again like nothing happened??  

I'm gonna bet we see that type of rollercoaster again this year.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

9th in yards.  8th in yards per play.  14th in takeaways. 11th in passing NY/A allowed. 8th in YPC allowed. 8th in yards per drive.  10th in plays per drive. 9th in time per drive.

There are some really horrifying stats too.  24th in points allowed.  But when you consider we are 29th in starting position, and we had the Peterman game, and Chargers debacle, I think the arrow is pointing up.

So middle of the pack 

20 minutes ago, cba fan said:

This.  At this stage, a few games skew the stats in either direction

Hopefully were more the defense of the last 6 quarters which looked like a top 5 unit.  Defense had lot of trouble with the run last year  Maybe adding Star and Harry , playing more athletic lbers has fixed that issue.  Think we find out much more this Sunday.  They pressure Rodgers consistently and we do have something going.

12 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Hopefully were more the defense of the last 6 quarters which looked like a top 5 unit.  Defense had lot of trouble with the run last year  Maybe adding Star and Harry , playing more athletic lbers has fixed that issue.  Think we find out much more this Sunday.  They pressure Rodgers consistently and we do have something going.

i think between McCoach stepping in and putting emphasis on getting a push and Murphy getting his legs under him, that we are going to display that we are more of the D that we have seen the last 6 quarters. it can not be underestimated how much benefit Hughes is seeing from having Murphy on the other side.

Edited by Foxx

51 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

As others have stated the first 3 games have been bipolar.

The next 3 will tell a lot more.

There were 3-4 drives i hated in the Baltimore game, but even in that one with an average offense and average qb play, it would have been winnable had the D given the exact same performance. Everything was made worse by turnovers, an inability to get first downs, or give them anything but great field position.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

It’s actually been 6 putrid quarters of defensive football followed by 6 tremendous quarters. Where is the truth ? Were the first six just the offshoot of the Nate Peterman implosion/ hangover into game 2 ? While a good game can skew things upward, an exceptionally poor one can do the opposite. Bills fans can hope that the Bills D that has shown up the last 6 quarters is what they will be going forward. It was hard to imagine a team playing so badly for a whole season. Time will tell, of course. The #2 CB spot is still a weakness, but Lewis may be an answer there. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hard to believe they could rebound that fast after the Baltimore game. I wonder how we rank in the last 6 quarters! Long way to go......

I read an article a few days ago about how during the first 6 quarters of the season, the Bills were on track to demolish a record for worst defense ever.

And then the article went on to say that we were statistically best or 2nd best in almost every category.

I honestly forgot just how good, but when I leave work I’ll try to post what I can find

• Like (+1) 1

The BIG question for this D is can they stop the run?  It was their Achilles heal last year and last week the Vikings didn’t even attempt to run (due to RB injuries and our fast start).  As great as we looked last week, don’t forget what NO did to us last year — we couldn’t have looked worse that day.

If we play a power power running team and hold them under 4yds a carry en route to winning, I will start to get very excited.

• Like (+1) 1