Carucci article on overestimating

chris heff

“Tre’Davious White is steadily establishing himself as one of the NFL’s better lock-down corners. Phillip Gaines more than held his own on the other side, and Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are back to the form that made them one of the league’s better safety combinations in 2017.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Phillip Gaines hasn’t played since being injured in first game. Wasn’t it Ryan Lewis that “more than held his own”? So Vic wrote this incorrectly and editor missed it. I don’t think there is one person on this site that would have made this mistake. It’s not really a big deal, just sloppy and lazy.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

“Tre’Davious White is steadily establishing himself as one of the NFL’s better lock-down corners. Phillip Gaines more than held his own on the other side, and Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are back to the form that made them one of the league’s better safety combinations in 2017.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Phillip Gaines hasn’t played since being injured in first game. Wasn’t it Ryan Lewis that “more than held his own”? So Vic wrote this incorrectly and editor missed it. I don’t think there is one person on this site that would have made this mistake. It’s not really a big deal, just sloppy and lazy.

No I think Vic is referring to his performance overall, starting in training camp.  There were some who questioned whether he’d even make the team, but his play was solid enough to earn a spot and to eventually push Vontae Davis out of the starting lineup.  Aside from a really bad ply in Baltimore his play was also decent.  So I think this is what Vic meant

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, chris heff said:

You really think a writer of Vic's caliber would make that mistake? 

Your comments tells us a lot more about your competency than they do Vic's. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

So Vic had someone else write it and the put his name on it? If you had bothered to read the article in this particular section he is describing how the defense has awakened in the last six quarters. Phillip Gaines has not played in the last six quarters. What could that possibly have to do with my competency?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal. However, in fairness to the OP, it does appear Vic was referencing last Sunday:

"2. The defense has awakened from its six-quarter slumber.

The secondary deserves major kudos for its ability to throw a figurative blanket over the Vikings’ dangerous receivers. The ultra-tight coverage throughout the game frustrated Kirk Cousins and caused him to hold the ball longer than he wanted. That allowed the Bills’ pass-rushers to apply considerable pressure that resulted in four sacks and an astounding 40 pressures, according to Pro Football Talk.

Tre’Davious White is steadily establishing himself as one of the NFL’s better lock-down corners. Phillip Gaines more than held his own on the other side, and Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are back to the form that made them one of the league’s better safety combinations in 2017.

That collective effort on the back end had everything to do with end Jerry Hughes having one of his better games as a Bill."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal. However, in fairness to the OP, it does appear Vic was referencing last Sunday:

The secondary deserves major kudos for its ability to throw a figurative blanket over the Vikings’ dangerous receivers. The ultra-tight coverage throughout the game frustrated Kirk Cousins and caused him to hold the ball longer than he wanted. That allowed the Bills’ pass-rushers to apply considerable pressure that resulted in four sacks and an astounding 40 pressures, according to Pro Football Talk.

Tre’Davious White is steadily establishing himself as one of the NFL’s better lock-down corners. Phillip Gaines more than held his own on the other side, and Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are back to the form that made them one of the league’s better safety combinations in 2017.

That collective effort on the back end had everything to do with end Jerry Hughes having one of his better games as a Bill."

I didn’t read the article.... it would seem that this was an error I that might have gotten past his editor

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Did you throw a trident?

• Haha (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Well, um, yeah?  Good writers for pubs got deadlines, sometimes don't put enough detail behind what they're writing to clarify what they mean

And sometimes they don't check their work and they make mistakes.

It happens.   From the context of the article quote provided above, kind of looks like it happened here.

• Like (+1) 3

How about we don’t take personal shots on people and just stick to disagreeing with their opinions.  This would be a better board if people didn’t take cracks at others.  

I certainly am am no where near perfect, but really make an effort to disagree. With a football opinion, not knock on someone personally.  It’s below us.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

No I think Vic is referring to his performance overall, starting in training camp.  There were some who questioned whether he’d even make the team, but his play was solid enough to earn a spot and to eventually push Vontae Davis out of the starting lineup.  Aside from a really bad ply in Baltimore his play was also decent.  So I think this is what Vic meant

Really? He was victimized on a few different plays, not just on one play. He played pretty badly. I would be willing to bet his PFF grade was pretty low, at least.

Lewis played well, however, but I think that was probably a function of everyone else on the defense playing well and having a tremendous pass rush. Cousins was rattled.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, um, yeah?  Good writers for pubs got deadlines, sometimes don't put enough detail behind what they're writing to clarify what they mean

And sometimes they don't check their work and they make mistakes.

It happens.   From the context of the article quote provided above, kind of looks like it happened here.

I agree that people make mistakes. In this case two people made a mistake, Vic and his editor and not really a big deal unless you’re Ryan Lewis. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

How about we don’t take personal shots on people and just stick to disagreeing with their opinions.  This would be a better board if people didn’t take cracks at others.  

I certainly am am no where near perfect, but really make an effort to disagree. With a football opinion, not knock on someone personally.  It’s below us.

Theres always ignore.  I’ve found if you ignore your twenty or so least favorite posters the boards quality improves radically.

4 hours ago, chris heff said:

I think near literally every poster on this site might make that mistake. Because we are human.

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

...NOT to get off topic, but was that seriously ALL Frazier?.....what prompted his "sudden defensive epiphany"?.....pre-season through the first six quarters we were woeful......all of a sudden he's "touched by a defensive angel"?.......interesting.........

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think near literally every poster on this site might make that mistake. Because we are human.

Then why did I recognize the mistake immediately? I don’t think I am any more knowledgeable than anyone else on this site. My point was that at least two people paid to report sports news made a mistake. Big deal? No, unless your Ryan Lewis. It has been my experience that people like to be recognized for a job well done, Lewis deserves the recognition. Lewis’s performance and how he became the starting corner opposite White, for this game is a story. Again at least two people paid to report missed that. In my opinion I think it’s lazy reporting.