Taron Johnson playing very good ball.

JerseyBills

On 9/29/2018 at 6:28 AM, wppete said:

Yeah I agree. Taron is playing well at nickel CB. I like the way he plays fast, tough and aggressive. Keep him healthy and we have a good CB for the future. Great draft pick for the 4th round.

We should be playing in our nickel defense against Houston 95% of the time. They have no RB on this roster that is a threat.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's the exact same size (OK, 1/8" shorter) than Tre'.

Weird, I had it in my head that he was about 20 points lighter (a la Nickel Robey). Well, I trust SM on defensive backs. If he feels that Johnson is best in nickel, then that's fine by me. 

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We should be playing in our nickel defense against Houston 95% of the time. They have no RB on this roster that is a threat.

To the contrary, Lamar Miller will be back this Sunday. He and Alfred Blue are a pretty good tandem.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

To the contrary, Lamar Miller will be back this Sunday. He and Alfred Blue are a pretty good tandem.

Blue is so slow and is average at best. Miller has some talent but it has not materialized into him taking over games. I wouldn't be surprised if Foreman is the starting RB once he is cleared to play. The goal this week should be to take away Hopkins at all cost.

Also if there is one O-Line that is worse than ours it's the Texans. Bring that nickel CB on a few well timed blitzes, the Texans O-Line will crumble if anything out of the ordinary is thrown at them.

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Weird, I had it in my head that he was about 20 points lighter (a la Nickel Robey). Well, I trust SM on defensive backs. If he feels that Johnson is best in nickel, then that's fine by me. 

Yeah, I also thought he was 5'8" and 175# or so.  And I agree on trusting SM but was wondering if he's just getting his feet wet before moving him opposite Tre'.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:51 PM, BuffaloBill said:

This draft class may become one of the best ever if Allen develops and hits the potential of his physical skills.  If Teller becomes a contributor then the first five picks will be solid contributors.

Oh come on!  Many "experts" here at TBD disagree Bill    ;)  ;)  :D 

19 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, I also thought he was 5'8" and 175# or so.  And I agree on trusting SM but was wondering if he's just getting his feet wet before moving him opposite Tre'.

I think he will stay at nickel. His skillset is perfect for that spot. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ideal.

We shouldn't move him to DB2 while he's developing, and especially while he's performing at an exceptional level for what was given up to draft him. The FA DB class has some solid names coming up, and while it's not an immediate need, having that stud DB2 to anchor our secondary would be great to see. Johnson could nickel/slot and also help with depth should we need it. No reason to overshoot the guy just yet.

This defense is a CB2 and an edge rusher (Jerry ain't getting any younger) away from being set completely -- at least as far as starters go.

I sincerely hope that most of our free agency dollars and draft picks are spent on offense this coming offseason.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:33 AM, John from Riverside said:

They need one more pass rusher

i wonder if they are thinking about Hassan reddick at all

I don't know. They are getting consistent pressure. Hughes is elite imo. Criminally underrated. Murphy is coming along nicely, great motor and Lorax is rated as one of the best edge defenders through 5 weeks according to pff. Lawson back , can play de or dt , we quietly have a deep , talented DL. 

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. Can't force him outside .

A nickel is an extremely important position nowadays though , kid is a flat out steal. I saw it from Training camp. 

How Taron Johnson's 'bulldog mentality' is serving him and Bills defense well

wtxkhn3y6waxckcijszr.jpg

Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott feels as though it takes a “special type of player with a special mindset” to play the nickel cornerback position.

Though he’s only four games into his professional career, Taron Johnson has already proven that he fits the bill.

Johnson has shined in the slot when healthy this season, standing out as a young defensive cornerstone that the Bills can look to build around.

• 2 weeks later...