Taron Johnson playing very good ball.

JerseyBills

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/05/why_taron_johnsons_college_coach_thinks_buffalo_bills_found_the_next_antoine_win.amp

I grew up in the defensive backfield and have played every position you can and have coached them all as well

on draft day I thought we got a steal and our starting nickel corner in Johnson... how well balanced and physical he is. The technique he uses and his ball skills. His competitiveness is great and he just looks like an NFL corner 

His coach has reaffirmed what I thought and he has coached a bunch of good corners. Says he would take him over his own Sean Smith 

compares him to our own Buffalo legend in Antoine Winfield ?

we can only hope and pray

( I posted this in May and it got archived and Hapless said I can just restart the thread with the article... the kid is playing really good ball right now and is really physical for his size... he’s gonna be a good one)

Good to have some positives to reflect upon.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:18 PM, Logic said:

Yep, Johnson's been balling.

Quietly, the Bills have rebuilt their defense. It's not finished yet, but a core of Edmunds, Milano, Philips, White, Hyde, Poyer, and Johnson (with Murphy and Star as nice veteran additions through free agency) is very promising. 

I do agree that we're a CB away from a top 5 secondary, but best in the league?

Peters, Talib, Joyner, Johnson for the Rams or Ramsey, Bouye, Gipson, Church from the Jags might have something to say about that.

Maybe top 5, maybe. We need DB depth period. Johnson has performed well in that regard, as has Lewis for depth purposes. We are one stud DB away from competing imho.

We're talking about a total defense who was blown out the first two weeks of the season, had an exceptional game week three, and regressed closer to where we started in our week four game, but with general improvement in performance at each level. This defense is a couple years of development away from top 5. And while we don't exactly have an offense right now that keeps our Defense off the field, our secondary has been giving up enough yards to land us at 16th in passing yds allowed. Our run defense has been surprisingly stout overall with the exception of week 2. Collectively, however, much improvement is needed at all three levels before we can even start talking about top 5 much less 10.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:16 PM, billspro said:

4 Rookies with significant playing time and playing well. Harrison Phillips had the second highest grade in PFF for rookie DTs too. 

We are one CB away from having the best secondary in the NFL. White, Poyer, Hyde, and Johnson are legit.

Wait.  But Beane is terrible I thought???  :)

4 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Maybe top 5, maybe. We need DB depth period. Johnson has performed well in that regard, as has Lewis for depth purposes. We are one stud DB away from competing imho.

We're talking about a total defense who was blown out the first two weeks of the season, had an exceptional game week three, and regressed closer to where we started in our week four game, but with general improvement in performance at each level. This defense is a couple years of development away from top 5. And while we don't exactly have an offense right now that keeps our Defense off the field, our secondary has been giving up enough yards to land us at 16th in passing yds allowed. Our run defense has been surprisingly stout overall with the exception of week 2. Collectively, however, much improvement is needed at all three levels before we can even start talking about top 5 much less 10.

Our defense also has to deal with the highest amount of three and outs in the league. This defense would look much better with a real offense on the other side. It’s a small sample size but when we have played with the lead they have been suffocating. 

On 10/2/2018 at 4:38 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

related conversations 

Taron Johnson and Siran Neal accomplished a franchise first

related conversations 

While Taron is the clear steal, I hope Siran is equally the steal at the safety position. Hyde won't be there forever, and this kid can tackle...don't know too much about his ball skills, but I remember reading the articles around draft time where both were reported to be under the radar steals.

I hope they both pan out, if nothing at least for depth in an otherwise depleted secondary. But with a couple years of progressive development, we have a lot of promise coming our way from multiple positions, not just the secondary. I would love to see Taron rise to start opposite Tre and become a shutdown duo grown from within the organization through the draft. That in and of itself does wonders for a franchise.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billspro said:

Our defense also has to deal with the highest amount of three and outs in the league. This defense would look much better with a real offense on the other side. It’s a small sample size but when we have played with the lead they have been suffocating. 

The one time we played with a lead sure. And without question they would perform better with a more competent offense moving the ball - the fact our secondary is 16th at the moment in PYA is something to consider.

But the point is this defense is more than just one corner away from being a top 5 defense...the entire unit needs about 1-2 years development before we can enter that conversation. Should the young players we're seeing flashes of now (i.e. Edmunds, Phillips, Milano, Taron, Siran, even Tre as a sophomore) develop progressively, this defense could really evolve and take that next step. But beyond securing a starting DB2, this defense needs a year or two before you will start to see the plan take shape. For now though, I think we're right on track should each young player develop accordingly.

So in short, the "Top 5" or "Top 10" defense will arrive, in about a year or two at the earliest, and it won't have the same players we do now, possibly even in the secondary. 

Edited by ctk232

16 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

While Taron is the clear steal, I hope Siran is equally the steal at the safety position. Hyde won't be there forever, and this kid can tackle...don't know too much about his ball skills, but I remember reading the articles around draft time where both were reported to be under the radar steals.

I hope they both pan out, if nothing at least for depth in an otherwise depleted secondary. But with a couple years of progressive development, we have a lot of promise coming our way from multiple positions, not just the secondary. I would love to see Taron rise to start opposite Tre and become a shutdown duo grown from within the organization through the draft. That in and of itself does wonders for a franchise.

Really hoping that the kids pan out because that means more picks we can use on the offensive side of the ball

I wont cry if our 1st rounder is a pass rusher.....its needed.....but after that please playmakers and blockers

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Really hoping that the kids pan out because that means more picks we can use on the offensive side of the ball

I wont cry if our 1st rounder is a pass rusher.....its needed.....but after that please playmakers and blockers

So far so good! A lot can happen, but for the picks that they were, both are currently performing with value greater than what we gave up. This draft class is actually looking great so far, as are some of last year's key additions in Milano and Tre. Just wait for this defense in about two years time if all goes well.

It's hard to identify priority right now for needs. I agree we need more help along that DLine, especially opposite of Hughes, but boy do we need a standout WR1. It's being discussed in Sal's post about his 2019 fixes, but funny enough, I agree that if we get our "elite" WR1, KB will see more favorable matchups (and hopefully relearn to catch), and Zay will be able to fill the slot role he was always meant to play. Allen needs weapons that will create separation so he can learn the rhythm of quick release throws and getting the ball out, and also just learn that on his own. Can't forget about the OL needs here either. Fortunately, we should be able to address these in the draft, not to mention FA.